Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Headliner cavity thickness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Headliner cavity thickness?

I'm looking to remove my headliner and fill in the cavities between the cross section support beams with melamine foam. What I need to know is, how thick of material I can fit to fill in those cavities without effecting or pushing out on the headliner once it is back in place.

Based on pictures I've seen, it looks like a 1" thick material would work/fit. But pictures can be deceiving.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Inch thick should fit no problem. Before you do it, can I ask what you are trying to achieve?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Inch thick should fit no problem. Before you do it, can I ask what you are trying to achieve?
Trying to achieve sound absorption. But with the cost of melamine, it seems like there's going to be diminished returns. Probably just use the CLD tiles and call it good.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HereticHulk
Trying to achieve sound absorption. But with the cost of melamine, it seems like there's going to be diminished returns. Probably just use the CLD tiles and call it good.

Ok, that's what I thought you might be trying to do. I definitely would say do the CLD tiles. All the noise transmitted from the roof is because it it thin and flexes easily. I did CLD tiles on mine and the difference was night and day. The roof is the area that benefits the most from the tiles to reduce in cabin noise. Here's a picture of mine when I did it.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Ok, that's what I thought you might be trying to do. I definitely would say do the CLD tiles. All the noise transmitted from the roof is because it it thin and flexes easily. I did CLD tiles on mine and the difference was night and day. The roof is the area that benefits the most from the tiles to reduce in cabin noise. Here's a picture of mine when I did it.
Good job. It looks good. I am surprised there is absolutely no vibration damper from the factory up there, given how large the roof section of sheet metal is.

It good to hear that doing this will actually be worth the time. I've already done the doors and floor with CLD, CCF and MLV.

What was the most challenging part of removing the headliner?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best sound damper I ever used is rebond padding.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Best sound damper I ever used is rebond padding.
Yeah, it's actually surprisingly good at stopping air transmitted noises. It's similar to the closed cell foam that we use for sound deadening in cars. Not quite as good or water proof, a lot less expensive though. For this situation the CLD tiles work best as it's actually the roof flexing and pinging when rain or hail hits it. The tiles add mass and change the actual tone of the roof so the noise is significantly less noticeable.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HereticHulk
Good job. It looks good. I am surprised there is absolutely no vibration damper from the factory up there, given how large the roof section of sheet metal is.

It good to hear that doing this will actually be worth the time. I've already done the doors and floor with CLD, CCF and MLV.

What was the most challenging part of removing the headliner?

Yeah, you'll like how much difference this makes over doing the doors and floor. I've done most every surface with CLD, CCF, and MLV too and this was the biggest improvement for daily driving. The doors was the best for sound but that was a given since I run 8s in the front doors.

Nothing dramatically challenging, it's just tedious. you need to remove all the panels above the window belt line and this requires removing the lower panels in the hatch and b-pillars. Once you have all the panels out and the headliner loose do not pull it out. The antenna and dome light wires are taped to the backside of the headliner so you'll need to to un-tape them before pulling it out through the hatch.

Here's some links for taking out the handles, sun visors, dome lights and b pillar;

https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-...visor-r-r.html

https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-...-assembly.html

https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-...illar-r-r.html

https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-...ights-r-r.html