Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Polk Speakers and Kicker Subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Polk Speakers and Kicker Subs

Are these speakers any good. Will they fit in the xb? And do I need 2 pairs.?

POLK AUDIO DB6501 6.5" 300-WATT SPEAKERS

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-DB650...QQcmdZViewItem

Also I have subwoofer in my car Kicker 07CVR122. Is it any good?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicke...oductDetail.do
Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

those polks arent bad but if you spend an extra couple of bucks you could get some seriously better stuff. kicker subs dont have any sound quality....you'll never hear individual drum beats...everything gets mushed together. they're louder than a few other subs though. if you paid 150 for it though, then id say you got ripped.....there's much better stuff for the same price.

my key piece of advice is: when looking at car audio, buy from small, little known companies. the mainstream stuff normally sucks compared to the non-mainstream stuff. for example...for 150 on that kicker sub you could have yourself an ascendant audio arsenal that'll whoop the kicker's ___ all day long in SQ, and might also take it in SPL depending on application (box, power, etc). for 180, you could get yourself a Fi SSD that'll throw the kicker to the floor in terms of SPL and perform much better in SQ....im not saying tremendous SQ, just much better than the kicker.

so...ever heard of either of those companies? im gonna guess no....all you've been exposed to is prolly just mainstream stuff. dont wry i made that mistake the first time i did my system. since then ive learned that small companies are the way to go.

as far as i know, 6.5's should fit your xB...thats by assumption, i havent in fact looked that up yet. but it should be fine...its a standard size. secondly, although your car has front and rear speakers, its much better to leave the rear speakers stock. then, take the money you would have spent on front and rears, and put it into a much better set of front speakers. you'll never hear you rear speakers, it the front ones that count. i personally have actually disconnected my rear speakers entirely..my tC doesnt even have them....i feel that it sounds better without the interference from the rear speakers.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:35 PM

I was thinking of those very same polks ...crutchfield had them highly rated and the buy one get one 1/2 off seemed really good...However I went to circuit city just to take a listen and the kicker components they had next to them on the board absolutley owned the polks in my opinion. The kickers didnt have the same half off second set deal...And im really unsure of the sound quality 4 x 6.5 components would have...Assuming a sub is automatic include ASAP.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Exige! I tried looking up the "Si FFD" but couldn't find anything on it. you got a link that could direct me directly? I'm seriously interested in what's out there...and better. To be honest I know that the JLw6's are good and all so I'm looking into those but those are a grip. So you think that you could help a brotha out? Right on man...
Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seanskee, ever looked at Elemental Designs ?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It's Fi SSD, not the Si FFD lol. you can find it at ficaraudio.com . uber...you and eD lol.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:55 PM

I just modeled these two woofers (SSD12 and CVR12) and the modeling curve is quite in favor of the kicker both in terms of response curve and spl. I realize that SQ is subjective and these numbers will have little true effect on the SQ, but there are indicators there, for example the CVR being -3dB at 26hz and within 3dB from 31.47hz all the way out beyond 100Hz with a bump centered at 45hz (the power of Bass) you can see that it will play relatively smooth across the spectrum with a hammer in the meat of the line up makes it look pretty good.

The SSD on the other hand models real poorly(no indication at all of how it sounds) but certainly something people will look at when purchasing. It runs -3dB at35hz and actually drops to -3.7dB at 47.3(worst spot in the spectrum to be the lowest output) on its way back up to -3dB again at 70 (This is already 6dB down from where the CVR sits) and then never gets above -1.9 all the way out past 100Hz. The good news is that the response curve is within the suggested acceptable 3dB spread, it just really doesn't look like the curve is the most appealing. And this is using numbers withing the manufacturs specs.

I think an A-B may be a good choice now, or maybe you could just each person decide what they want to spend their money on, rather than blindly recomending that all the mainstream brands suck, even though they are the ones who have stood the test of time for the last 30 years. You always call out the big two JL and Kicker as overpriced and junk, well I think there is significant evidence to the contrary based on years of supply, and happy customers.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recommend eD, Pioneer, Alpine, DLS, a few more brands...

As for eD: eD supports the Scion community, have good products with good warranties at rather aggressive pricing, so I tell people to take a look. You however, seem to just mudsling large companies. If you want to get your point across, perhaps try highlighting where the companies/products you're recommending outperform JL, for example. Heck, you can even say, they perform just as well or a tad less performance BUT at this price point...
Inform the consumer and let them make their own decision, just a thought.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

uber i'm pm'ing you right now. i simply hope i open your eyes a bit....i used to be in the same exact spot that you're now in.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

and ps uber....if you read my comments, i did mention certain subs will outperform other subs in terms of spl or sq. im not simply sitting here saying that kicker sucks, and company x is a million times better. im giving opinions that i, along with many other car audio enthusiasts, share about certain products in companies. im not blindly backing something.

secondly lvmyxb....im not going to argue your point out....remember that i did say it depends on application. ive done an a-b test between those products and therefore i back my viewpoint. and third....i never said any company was junk...especially JL. i believe JL makes great products. however i do believe their products are hugely overpriced. tell me how i always call out JL as junk? cause i never once have in my life. they make quality products. period. are they overpriced compared to what else is out there? yes, without a doubt. what are you paying for? the name. do they make a good product though? yes, absolutely.

over the past few weeks ive made an attempt to inform SL about the small companies that are out there, how they outperform the mainstream products and keep prices lower, and almost everywhere ive commented, some1 comes firing back in my face about stuff that i never said. (lvmyxb: JL is junk...never said that). so with that i'll be happy to leave SL and let you guys pay higher prices for products that arent necessarily better. i try to inform, but you guys tend to know it all? lvmyxb uses t/s params and graphical analysis to tell how 2 drivers behave, but entirely leaves application out of the question...and the most important factor...listening to the speaker. i spoke because i HAVE listened to each driver under a set of measurements. but still what i say is all a myth apparently. you guys enjoy yourselves. uber i hope you wake up about eD. and to everyone else, expand your knowledge beyond SL and circuit city. research, look into other forums.... caraudio.com for example...hell even ecoustics.com has some stuff down at least. but for the love of god dont be so ignorant.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM replied.
Inform me (us) and it'll be appreciated.
I think your presentation is just rough right now, it seems you're more hung up on discrediting some companies rather than showing better products for the intended application.
What would you recommend?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by exige
and ps uber....if you read my comments, i did mention certain subs will outperform other subs in terms of spl or sq. im not simply sitting here saying that kicker sucks, and company x is a million times better. im giving opinions that i, along with many other car audio enthusiasts, share about certain products in companies. im not blindly backing something.

secondly lvmyxb....im not going to argue your point out....remember that i did say it depends on application. ive done an a-b test between those products and therefore i back my viewpoint. and third....i never said any company was junk...especially JL. i believe JL makes great products. however i do believe their products are hugely overpriced. tell me how i always call out JL as junk? cause i never once have in my life. they make quality products. period. are they overpriced compared to what else is out there? yes, without a doubt. what are you paying for? the name. do they make a good product though? yes, absolutely.

over the past few weeks ive made an attempt to inform SL about the small companies that are out there, how they outperform the mainstream products and keep prices lower, and almost everywhere ive commented, some1 comes firing back in my face about stuff that i never said. (lvmyxb: JL is junk...never said that). so with that i'll be happy to leave SL and let you guys pay higher prices for products that arent necessarily better. i try to inform, but you guys tend to know it all? lvmyxb uses t/s params and graphical analysis to tell how 2 drivers behave, but entirely leaves application out of the question...and the most important factor...listening to the speaker. i spoke because i HAVE listened to each driver under a set of measurements. but still what i say is all a myth apparently. you guys enjoy yourselves. uber i hope you wake up about eD. and to everyone else, expand your knowledge beyond SL and circuit city. research, look into other forums.... caraudio.com for example...hell even ecoustics.com has some stuff down at least. but for the love of god dont be so ignorant.
You don't have to leave SL, there is no reason to. However, if you just make your point with simple data and a helpful attitude, you will get a much better response. All of your posts have this knowing-father, condescending, patronizing tone, and you just come across like an _______. You make blanket statements and then take a "fine, waste your money like an idiot" attitude (not an actual quote, just an example of how you come across). On the internet, no one can hear your tone, judge your body language, or guess your motives, and your writing style makes your come across like an impatient father trying to teach something to a slow child. Treat us like adults and more of us will take you seriously instead of getting defensive.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:58 AM

Agreed, I see no reason to leave, you do have some insightful things to say, and have been around for a while informing others of the possibilities. (in more than just car audio). But no one ever likes to be told that they wasted their money on equipment from mainstream companies like Audionbahn, Blaupunkt, Kicker, MTX, Rockford, and MB Quart to name a few. (I left JL out this time for you). I don't mean to bust your *****, simply point out while in many cases you are correct that some of those names havesome products that are junk and overpriced, the blanket statement will always inspire backlash.

One other thing about the non mainstream brands like Focal, Morel and Rainbow that you mention are typically great companies, very expensive equipment and the pinacle of why we all have jobs and car audio hobbies. The key to them not being mainstream really means that they have exclusive distribution through independent retail stores rather than large retail chains. I think overall we see things through the same eyes in many cases, we just have different ways of saying it.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I do a lot of stereo stuff. The Kicker CVR's are a decent subwoofer. Same with Alpine Type-R's, etc. It's all install dependent, though. Just purchasing a prefabbed box from circuit city doesn't really cut it. It's better if you have the tools to just build one. I know not everyone has the tools and/or know how, but maybe commission someone to do it. I know people that will design and build you a box starting around $150. I'd rather spend the extra money on a good quality enclosure. I've been on this site www.realmofexcursion.com/forum for a while now. It's really insightful and a lot of the people there know a lot of stuff.

If anyone has questions feel free to send me a message. There are a few better companies than JL, Kicker, MTX, etc. Some of those are FI car audio (www.ficaraudio.com), Sundown (www.sundownaudio.com), Resonant Engineering (www.reaudio.com), RD Audio, and Digital Designs (www.ddaudio.com).

The aforementioned brands are all great. Granted, I've yet to use any of their products, but the results I've seen are awesome.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM

I have those Polk speakers in my car and they sound good. The tweeters are 1" and the stock ones are 3/4" so you have to open the hole up a little and use the pods they come with. When you un hook the tweeters you won't have any sound in the woofer if you don't hook up a amp. You can leave the stock tweeter and leave it hanging behind the panels and it works fine.

I also have a Kicker sub but, I have a L5 SoloBaric. It sounds great. I dont mind Kicker Subs anymore.