Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sound system do over

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know much about those sundown speakers, haven't heard of them. I have a DC Audio 10 inch level 2 in a simple ported box I built that probably goes against all box design rules, but that is being pushed by a Sony dual channel amp bridged to 2 ohm and is running around 500 w/rms. It pounds, and doesn't rattle and doesn't take up much space. And would probably kill that Dual box as well. The DC Audio speaker cost less than 150 shipped and is really, really quality stuff. I have some crazy plans for that speaker in a less trunk space consuming box, just reluctant to start my project due to the smell of resin being involved.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

resin smell that bad? haha and yea the dual option has been deleted. I will be building an new box for the RF. should that work out better than expected i will focus on just doing clear sound with some orion HCCA componets.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

clean xb, you put crap brands with high quality brands in the same category. some stuff is better than others for sure, but to say that some of those brands don't make quality equipment is just not true. i'm running an mb quart dsc 4x125 (i think that's the model.) that smokes my jl 300/4 in sq and power and it cost 1/2 as much.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i read. the quality of the build can make a decent sub sound amazing. likewise a ____ box with an amazing sub will do poorly
Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how so what? not sure what you're asking. if you're asking why i think it's a better amp, it's because it provides more power and sounds amazing for a lot less money than the jl.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never bench tested them because that's a stupid thing to do in my case. it's not an amplifier shoot off. i needed more power so i bought an amplifier that provided it at a price i could live with. for the money, the mb is tough to beat. been going strong for a year pretty much and i haven't had to use the warranty it came with so it can't be all bad.

and my "trained" ear is the only one that matters since it's my car, but i've never had anyone sit in my car and not think it sounds pretty damn good. i don't have rta scores or anything like that to show the world how cool my car sounds according to a graph, but i like it.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what it looks like im going to do. is pick up some components from BIG JIM if he hits me back.
Take the sub out of the RF and build a new box for it. Sell the RF box. get a new amp for the components (maybe 475a) and a bigger amp for the RF if i ever decided to go with a another 8-10 to match it
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

JL's overpriced because they actually engineer everything new. Which definitely drives pricing up with new toolings and engineering fees.

Sundown and a lot of other brands use the Xenon buildhouse for their amplifiers. Doesn't mean they're all the same. I know Jacob puts a lot into his amplifiers and decides what he actually wants in them. Just because an Atomic amplifier uses the same board as a Sundown/RD/DC/whatever, doesn't mean it's the same thing.
The MB Quart (Maxxsonics owned now) amplfiers are really good for the money. I doubt they have the same SQ as the JL products, but for most people it really doesn't matter.
I'm personally not impressed by the JL crossovers in any of their 4 channel amplifiers. I can run an active front stage with the Sundown, piece of cake. JL I'll have to purchase an external active crossover, which isn't necessary and drives the price up more so. Granted I doubt that Sundown has won many, if any, SQ competitions... but how many of us are dedicated SQ competitors? I'm not. SPL, FTW.
If I were to shell out JL money, I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get ARC... ARC >>>>> JL.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ side question.

lets say a pair of subs run at 500RMS 1000 or so peak. 4ohms

would i want an amp that ran 400 rms so as to not over power it. or if i found a 750 rms amp at 4ohms would that be to much. i know u dont go off of peak power but of rms. i plan to take this knowledge with component speakers as well. my own gut says underpowering at the least wont hurt the subs.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Under powering doesn't hurt subwoofers, clipping does. Neither does over powering... clipping is what kills speakers.

My 15 is rated for 1500rms, but I throw roughly 3000watts to it without a problem. I think I could give it another 500-1000 be fine.

I'd go with the higher powered amplifier so you have headroom for the future. You are the main determining factor to how everything is set. If you have a higher powered amplifier, you can adjust the gain so it's not sending out as much power.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Most people that don't run JL is because they want to either: a.) be loud, b.) save money, or c.) be different. :D
Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Hence why we don't use it! :D

Side note, I was seriously impressed with Mosconi amplifiers. Also impressed with the output and quality of the JL 13TW5.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

clean xb is a troll.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
clean xb is a troll.
As am I... maybe I need to moderate ROE more, huh? Work blocks it. It sucks.

The Leviathan, and anything out of the Zed buildhouse, is full of nothing but win. Wish I had one. Little out of my price range. For the list price on SSA, I can get a used Sundown 3000D and 100.4d. Both have worked well for me the past few years.

If you're looking for SQ heads, check out diymobileaudio.com. Great people over there. I've learned quite a bit from that forum.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol. i've become a lurker on roe lately. all i do is read the cbox and check random fs threads.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

It's been kind of dead. I haven't done much with my audio setup because I'm pretty happy with it.
Well that and other hobbies... photography and wheels. I want new wheels now.

This thread has officially derailed, FYI. You're welcome.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're a troll. deal with it.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just stating a fact. you are a troll. the best you can do is insult my age and car audio equipment. you're sad and should find a bridge to drive off of.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

He's actually posted what he was looking at in his first few posts. All of which are much much lower budget than anything JL has remotely close to offer.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Very true, however neglected to provide any useful information besides other amplifiers that are out of his price range. I.e. Leviathan.

Quick Reply: Sound system do over