Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Steering wheel remote - PAC vs Peripheral

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steering wheel remote - PAC vs Peripheral

Hi everybody, I bought the Pioneer AVIC - D3 for my 08 and I am going to buy a steering wheel remote adapter for it but would like to know if anybody knows which one is better. The PAC or Peripheral branded adapter.

Or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Steering wheel remote - PAC vs Peripheral

Originally Posted by gummyneo78
Hi everybody, I bought the Pioneer AVIC - D3 for my 08 and I am going to buy a steering wheel remote adapter for it but would like to know if anybody knows which one is better. The PAC or Peripheral branded adapter.
I don't know anything about the "Peripheral" brand (sounds awfully generic) item, but I just installed the PAC SWI-PS in mine the other day and it wasn't too difficult and works great. I had an installer do the AVIC-D3 for mine, he recommended PAC. He did not specificly name any other brand, but mentioned that some work by having an IR sensor placed somewhere that beams to the head unit, which sounds terrible to me.

The only knock against the PAC is that there is a slight delay when you press buttons, but after even only a few days of use, I've gotten used to it and it seems normal.

If they both cost the same, I would recommend PAC since that's what most seem to use (you'll probably have better luck getting help for it, etc).

Do you have a link for the "Peripheral" brand?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, the reason I ask is because yesterday I was having my car alarm installed and there wasn't enough time to have the head unit installed too. So I asked them which brand do they use for the steering wheel control, and they told me Peripheral. But on this web site I see allot of people using PAC.

You say that there is a slight delay? Is this what everybody is experiencing?

Here is the Peripheral link

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...594&strSearch=
Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Wow, that thing looks exactly like the PAC, they even share the exact same model # (SWI-PS, Steering Wheel Interface - Pioneer Sony). Looking at pics from it in the install diagram:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...ns/PESWIPS.pdf

The wiring looks exactly the same to me. If this is what they normally install and what they have in stock, I'd say go for it.

Almost every time I've read a review of it, someone mentions the delay. I don't think I've found anyone saying that the delay time outweighs the benefit of having the steering wheel controls.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The pac worked great (didnt notice a delay) for about the first month, but after the month, it worked when it wanted to. I took the dash apart again and checked the connections. They were solid, and still works when it wants. Not sure if its a bad unit or what.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by falz
Wow, that thing looks exactly like the PAC, they even share the exact same model # (SWI-PS, Steering Wheel Interface - Pioneer Sony). Looking at pics from it in the install diagram:
PAC and Peripheral use the same manufacturer for a lot of their parts. Like their Ipod adapters, the cables are identical, the boxes just look different on the outside but the internals are identical. They are the same.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

peripheral is what best buy carries, they do the same thing. it's easy to program, i've done it on 3 or 4 tCs and my xB. I've noticed with the peripheral and xb2 you have to depress the buttons all the way for it to register. at least with how i programmed mine. i'm sure i could reprogram it for a softer touch, but that involves entirely too much effort
Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At the advice of another member, I'm reposting a PM I sent to him in regards to the SWI-PS installation. I understand that this is probably over explained, but I know that had I read these instructions before I attempted my install, I would never have posted a new thread.

Yes I did install the PAC adapter.

It was actually very easy. (kind of)

You will need a soldering iron. (I've heard that some people don't use any solder, but I wouldn't recommend it). If you don't have one, you can pick up one for cheap at RadioShack or Fry's Electronic (or any major electronic store).

First thing you will need to do is
As you unplug the factory harness from the old radio, there will be 1 harness that has a 20 pin connector (even though it is a 20 pin connector, there aren't 20 wires leading to it) If you are looking at that harness, there are 3 cables right next to each other on the top, white, black, and I wanna say yellow, but I can't remember. Anyways, they are on the top row of that connector, and would be connected to pin 6,7,& 8.

You are going to have to cut those off from the harness ( You'll need those to connect to the SWI-PS. ) I actually left a little bit of cable left after the pin connector JUST in case I ever wanted to reconnect the old stereo again, but if you know you are not, you could just cut the cables right after the harness (because it's kind of a stretch to pull those 3 wires to the front). Anyways, if you look at the picture below, this is HOW they are going to need to be connected. You only need to solder the resistor to pin 7 & pin 8 (as shown) (Resistor comes with the SWI so don't go out and buy new ones like I did). They are called pins, but you could just refer to them as to the wire that connected to whatever pin # on the original harness.
(oh and by the way, the VSS wire is the purple wire on that 20 pin connector as well)

The only thing different in the picture from what you will see is that only 1 of the pins(or wire whatever you want to call it) of 7&8 will be white (from the factory wires), the other one will be the other color I can't remember, yellow or blue???

And in the picture you'll see that blue, yellow, orange, and teal cables are parted to the side, well assuming you drive a XB 08 like me, you won't need those, just tuck them off to the side.

So from the harness that connects to the SWI-PS, you'll only use 3 wires the white, black, and red. Red goes to the car accessory on the radio harness (so you'll actually have two wires splitting to 1 wire on the factory harness) 1 from the SWI and the other from the D3. The black wire is grounded with pin/wire 6, and the white just like it shows.

Once you've connected those three wires from the SWI with those from the 20 pin connector (PIN 6,7, 8 ) you are done!!! just plug the other cable on the other side of the SWI to the D3 (looks like a headset connector) and you are finished.

I'm sorry if I might have over explained. But let me know if you have any confusions and I'll re-explain.

Now that was just hardwiring the cables, then you have to program it. For the programming part, the d3 needs to be completely wired and working as well. DON"T put everything back together in the car until AFTER you program the PAC SWI, because you need access to it to program it.

Programming is pretty self explanatory. First you need to set the software mode, which I believe you turn the car key into IGN mode. Then you press the programming button on the PAC unit 8 times. Then you turn off the car. Turn it back on, and the LED on the pac unit should flash 8 times. After that, you need to program the actual steering wheel buttons. Which is programmed by sequence. In other words, the unit is expecting you to program the buttons in order to IT"S software.

The unit will expect you to program the volume up first, volume down 2nd, mute button (which we dont' have unless you want to use the mode button as a mute) 3rd, Track/seek up 4th, track/seek down 5th.... etc....

The way you do this is AFTER you program the software mode (setting it to and after turning the key into ACC (but not starting the car) , you would press the volume up button on the steering wheel first, you'll see the LED turn on and then turn off (on the pac unit) once it's off, that button is programmed, then you would let go the volume up, and I think you press volume down for the next LED to light up and turn off. You'll have to check the manual, but it goes along the lines similar to that. I'm completely explainging this off memory. But it goes something like that.

Anyways, let me know if you need more help.
I wanted to give props to phantom_tc for his thread about installing the d3 in his car (That's where I got the picture of the wiring for the SWI-PS)
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is definately sticky worthy. and thanks again gummyneo78!