Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xB2 Sub Install Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB2 Sub Install Tips?

A friend and I will be installing the sub and amp combo below this weekend. I've never done one before. He's done a few. I have the factory Pioneer Premium System. Any of you far more experienced blokes have any tips on amp placement/where to run wires/additional equipment needed/tools,etc specific to the xB2? Thanks!

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...112&c=3&tp=112

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0&tp=115&avf=Y

I also got this amp wiring kit and will be getting some speaker wire as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...PSK08BI&tp=635
Old 11-08-2007, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How's it going??

I finished mine up a few weeks ago, with a 10" punch P3, just made my own enclosure though with recessed amp box with lights . I'd be glad to swing by for you to check it out! In your application may be best to run the amp under the passenger seat, or right in front of the spare tire, under your cargo tray. Wires are easy to hide in the XB2.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey bro! That's one of the cleanest looking cargo/spare sub installs. Great job. How's it sound? Looks like I'm in good company going with the RF Punch. ;) Sweet GR avatar too.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matrixv01
Hey bro! That's one of the cleanest looking cargo/spare sub installs. Great job. How's it sound? Looks like I'm in good company going with the RF Punch. ;) Sweet GR avatar too.

Sounds good, now I just need to finish my door speakers and Dynamat the car and I'll be good to go! LMK if you need any help.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

birdy, looks good. i have no trunk space w/ my subs in....
------------------------------------------------------------
best/easiest way to run the wires is under the door sills.

to get it through the firewall there are two grommets to choose from. one behind the glove box and one above the gas pedal.

for the remote wire, tap into the gray one.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like you have everything you'll need except some way to keep the sub box from flying around. This is often over looked but you don't want that box hitting you in the back of the head during a bad situation. You'll need to be a little creative but it shouldn't be too difficult to strap it down.

Things should thump pretty good once they're in.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whispaz
birdy, looks good. i have no trunk space w/ my subs in....
Thanks!

I didn't want to lose trunk space so that's why I did mine up this way!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the help so far. The sub and amp arrived today so I'm pretty stoked. Running the wires under the door sills, and where to go through the firewall, duly noted. Amp under the passenger seat or spare tire area. How about that space under the rear seats? Good point about anchoring. Is it necessary since the box is so heavy and has a low center of gravity due to the wedge shape? What are the usual options, bungee cord, strap, screws? I'd like something that allows me to remove the sub when needed.

Also it's been mentioned to me that some people mount the amp on the sub enclosure itself. pros, cons?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

not recommended to mount the amp on the box cause the box will be pounding and can break the solders inside the amp ...wouldnt want that happening rite?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah you could mount the amp directly to the sub..the amps now are built so strong it wouldnt be a problem.
Try lots of good velcro maybe to hold the sub down to a corner and also experiement with facing it differnet ways before you mount the amp and secure the sub.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as securing the box, use a strap (metal with holes) attached to the seat belt anchor. Use a small bearing tube so that the bolt can be tight and the strap can pivot. The strap should be long enough to extend 4" above the rear floor. Mark the location of the top hole on the sub box. Drill a hole so a carriage bolt can be pushed thru from the inside. Use some silicone on the bolt head to help hold it and to seal it. Use a nut and washer on the outside to keep the bolt . Then run the bolt thru the metal strap and cap with washer and wingnut. Any time you wanna take it out, undo the wingnut and rotate the metal strap below the deck. You'll need to cap the wire too (shouldn't touch each other or be grounded.) When in place, the strap is between the box and the seat back. The strap doesn't have to be metal. It could be an old seatbelt or tiedown strap. The problem with fabric is creating a hole without weakening the material. If you get really lucky, you could use a seat belt tab that fits into the center seatbelt receiver and then it's a matter of attaching the belt to the box. There are plenty of ways to skin this cat.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One nay and one yea for mounting the amp to the sub. Good box securing ideas too. I'm liking the velcro . Seems like it only needs minimal securing due to the weight and size. That would be a clean, fast way to go as well as making it way easy to move around when needed. Although it would only secure it laterally not from jumping vertically, not that I think that will be a problem due the weight.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW, I secured my sub box using the nylon cargo strap that Scion includes with the car and the cargo tie-down rings in back. It's only temporary but it does keep the sub from moving around and is easily removeable.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
FWIW, I secured my sub box using the nylon cargo strap that Scion includes with the car and the cargo tie-down rings in back. It's only temporary but it does keep the sub from moving around and is easily removeable.
The strap that's in the spare tire cargo area by the jack? I was looking at those ratchet type straps at the store. I read in the owner's manual that that one is used to secure your flat tire in the cargo area when using the spare but I guess it could hold down a sub pretty well too.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matrixv01
The strap that's in the spare tire cargo area by the jack? I was looking at those ratchet type straps at the store. I read in the owner's manual that that one is used to secure your flat tire in the cargo area when using the spare but I guess it could hold down a sub pretty well too.
Yeah, that's the one I used. It's not ideal but it does the job until I get something better.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine just sits back there.... if I hit something head on, hope the rear seats stop it from comming upinto myhead!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
mine just sits back there.... if I hit something head on, hope the rear seats stop it from comming upinto myhead!!!!
x2
:D
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by john08xb
Nah you could mount the amp directly to the sub..the amps now are built so strong it wouldnt be a problem.
Try lots of good velcro maybe to hold the sub down to a corner and also experiement with facing it differnet ways before you mount the amp and secure the sub.

built stronger? what do you mean by that? are they made with special solder nowadays?? solder is solder....building an amp rack would be the best way to go...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

solder isnt going to break with the bass. On my previous car i had it on the box for about 2 years w/ no problems
Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vibration can break weak solder joints. Not saying that it will but it can.

IMO it's probably safe to mount a mobile amp to a sub box but I didn't do it for 2 reasons:

1) Too easy to steal both the sub and the amp.

2) Vibration from the sub 'could' potentially damage the amp.

Quick Reply: xB2 Sub Install Tips?