2008 Scion xB in Los Angeles Times

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2008 Scion xB in Los Angeles Times

Saw this in the paper today:
http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...ck=1&cset=true

I suppose others have a more highly refined sense of aesthetics, but I just can't get behind the debate over the old vs. new Scion xB, the funky five-seat space wagon sold by Toyota's Gen Y-oriented brand. Aren't they both ugly?

Really. If you're serving, say, wart hog for dinner -- juicy, succulent, fall-off-the-tusk wart hog -- do you fret the relative pulchritude of wart hog A compared to wart hog xB? So it hardly matters if the redesigned car is more or less visually appealing than the original (model years 2004 to 2006). They both make babies cry.

Scion debuted in 2003 as Toyota's bid for the hoodies-and-Vans set. From the beginning it was clear Scion's brand mandarins had taken a big screwdriver to the collective heads of Gen Y, a demographic so savagely targeted from the moment of birth as to make it intensely allergic to anything like conventional advertising. Scion -- as successfully as any car company since Ferrari, I'd say -- generated its own owner culture, with Scion concerts, ring tones, car shows, clothing, sponsored exhibitions, Second Life environments and other insidious bits of affinity marketing. If Scion could get away with brand-marketed Ecstasy, it probably would.

To help deepen a sense of ownership, Scion sells its cars monospec, which is to say, with almost no factory options. Buyers can customize their rides with dealer-installed accessories (I'm partial to LED-lighted foot wells and cup holders, myself), sound systems and performance mods, such as lowering springs, sway bars and cold-air intakes. Not custom enough? There are vast warehouses of Scion-specific aftermarket chintziness available. To avoid freaking out inexperienced car buyers, Scion dealerships practice "pure pricing," which is basically no-haggle pricing, except it's pronounced, "Don't, like, haggle me, bro."
Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aw. come on, everyone should have at least one wart hog.
We buy these cars for the same reason people buy english bulldogs or Volkswagon Beetles for that matter - they are so ugly they are beautiful! True goodness comes from within as demonstrated by the xB -- a most practical useful vehicle cleverly disquised as a hip-hop toy!
And let's not forget, there's a lot of us "ol dudes" 40 and up that are having the time of our lives with the new and classic xB.
Howard in Gilroy
Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weak minds need to classify things and associate things with stereotypes to make them comfortable. I'm by no means a typical 30 year old car buyer, car enthusiast, etc. Don't label me... "bro".
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberspeed
Weak minds need to classify things and associate things with stereotypes to make them comfortable. I'm by no means a typical 30 year old car buyer, car enthusiast, etc. Don't label me... "bro".
I don't think it's possible to write these articles without all that stuff. Strip out all the stereotypes used in most automotive journalism and you'll end up with about 90% fewer words!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toronado
Strip out all the stereotypes used in most automotive journalism and you'll end up with about 90% fewer words!
toronado clearly you are a reader of Car & Driver. :D
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can write referringto stereotypes but wanting to have everything, vehicle. person, et al neatly fit into one of those labels is passe as far as I'm concerned.
I will say this, Toyota is getting publicity either way, perhaps they even made the drastic change away from the Gen1 to stir this up? Heck of a marketing ploy, ballsy even I'd say.
toronado, no reply to my "bro", bro? lol
Old 07-13-2007, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lilpklebox
Aw. come on, everyone should have at least one wart hog.
We buy these cars for the same reason people buy english bulldogs or Volkswagon Beetles for that matter - they are so ugly they are beautiful! True goodness comes from within as demonstrated by the xB -- a most practical useful vehicle cleverly disquised as a hip-hop toy!
And let's not forget, there's a lot of us "ol dudes" 40 and up that are having the time of our lives with the new and classic xB.
Howard in Gilroy
Funny you should mention it, my fave Dog is the B Bulldog (maybe that's because I'm British) and my wife drives an 06 Beetle Conv...then there's or gen2 of course...

Plus, I'm almost 50 (51 actually)....so I fit right into your profile