Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a shorter shift lever for your xB2?
Yes, I'm very interested!
37.50%
Yes, I'm somewhat interested.
12.50%
Not sure, I'll have to think about it some more.
12.50%
No, I don't think so.
12.50%
No, absolutely not!
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Any interest in having a shorter MT shift lever for the xB2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any interest in having a shorter MT shift lever for the xB2?

I recently decided I wanted to reduce my manual transmission shift throw, but in researching the transmission mounted TRD Quick Shifter, I decided it wasn't a good choice for me (reports of notchiness and other shift issues). Since I have no problems with my OE shift mechanism, I finally decided to shorten the shift lever by about 3/4".

Name:  xBshiftLever_1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  17.5 KB
(original)

Name:  xBshiftLever_5.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  16.6 KB
(shortened by about 3/4")

I could have dropped the **** by 1", but I found 3/4" worked better for me personally so I added a couple nylon spacers.

Name:  xBshiftLever_6.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  49.1 KB
(raised by 1/4" from maximum drop)

The result is a much shorter shift throw and a much more comfortable reach to the ****. Looks sportier too ! Personally, I'm very pleased with it.

What I'm now wondering is if there are others interested in having a shorter shift lever as opposed to going the TRD Quick Shifter route ($116 plus ship from TRDsparks). Since the xB2 shifter cannot be mounted on a lathe, shortening is a fairly long and labor intensive activity (takes me several hours due to the need to reduce the shaft shoulder before cutting the new thread), but if there's sufficient interest, I'm thinking I could start shortening OE shifters for people. Personally, I think about 3/4" off is about right, though it may depend to some degree on the ****.

If there is interest, my current thinking is probably $95 plus shipping as the cost of having a shift lever assembly shortened, and I'm thinking $40 more ($135) plus shipping for an already shortened assembly. I'd probably pay $25 for receiving an excellent condition unmodified used shift assembly (presumably replaced by the owner with a shortened assembly).

Any interest? Any discussion (price, length reduction, whatever)?

PS. Should probably mention the only shortened shift lever I've found available for a Scion is specifically for the tC -- a very different design. It costs $120 before trade-in and has to be installed in the cage. It's also shortened from OE, but doesn't have the tall xB2 shoulder.

===================================================

By the way, this probably goes without saying, but please don't respond to the poll if your xB2 transmission preference is auto. Nothing wrong with auto of course, but I'm trying to learn how manual transmission people feel about the idea. Thanks !

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-21-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm seeing the thread view count climb steadily, but I'm not seeing responses to either the poll or the thread. Is there something I'm missing, something I need to be aware of?

I'm genuinely interested in people's inputs on this, so please don't be shy !
Old 06-19-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

95 is way to much. If i was gunna spend 95 bucks for a homemade short shifter, might as well spend a few more bucks for a legit short shifter. No offense
Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oreoremix42
95 is way to much. If i was gunna spend 95 bucks for a homemade short shifter, might as well spend a few more bucks for a legit short shifter. No offense
But, where do you buy a "legit" short shifter? Unless you mean the TRD at the transmission, in which case, from what I've read, it includes some question marks. I've yet to identify any source for a shortened shift lever for the xB2, and its advantage is that it doesn't change the OE shift behavior. (There is a shortened OE shift lever for the tC, but that's it as far as I can determine -- $120 before trade in and you have to install it into the cage, the TRD Quick Shifter is a discounted $116 plus ship from TRDsparks.)

This isn't a question of competing with TRD's product, it's a question of reducing throw while preserving the OE linkage behavior (avoiding the question marks). Outside of reduced throw, does one prefer the fundamental feel of the Quick Shifter mechanism, or the OE shift mechanism? From my reading, I'm certain I prefer the OE -- hence the shortened shift lever.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-20-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: rewrite
Old 06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The view count has passed 240 now, but I'm not seeing response posts. Is this due to conjectured price or something else? I'd really appreciate input on this MT guys, even if it's only to tell me the whole thing is a waste of time (for whatever reason).

======================EDIT=====================

I'm gathering I made a mistake even mentioning price without gathering input from folks first -- I apologize for that. So, ignoring my earlier price thoughts, if anyone has any interest in discussing this with me -- please give me a shout.

Thanks -- Trevor

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-04-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added followup remarks
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Got one!!! I think I'm the first...

here's the DIY for it..

EVERY xB2 5spd OWNER SHOULD GET ONE!!!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...+short+shifter
Old 11-19-2010, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mine is sitting here in the box waiting for me to put it in this weekend. Your DIY looks good man, now I know what to expect when installing it.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

sweet. let everyone know how the DIY helped you in the install.. you are gonna LOVE this shifter!!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 PM
SL Member

I have the TRD quick shift kit, works great for me, no issues, and doesn't void manufactures warranty, i bet if somehow you have tranny problems and they see a modified shifter they wont cover it.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueHarford
I have the TRD quick shift kit, works great for me, no issues, and doesn't void manufactures warranty, i bet if somehow you have tranny problems and they see a modified shifter they wont cover it.

Honestly I don't think most dealer techs would even be able to tell that there was a short shifter on there. I'm considering this as I put a new **** on and it feels just a bit too high now.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Warranty.....who needs that....
Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, you have to remember that the shift assembly is still manufactured by Toyota -- the only substantial difference is the lever itself has been shortened, I think a Toyota dealership would have one h*ll of a difficult time trying to prove that change could cause a transmission failure (especially since it patently couldn't). I really don't see this as a problem. Plus, as mentioned, it's unlikely the Toyota dealership would even notice the change (their attention wouild be on the transmission )!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you modifying the stock lever or fabricating replacements?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueHarford
to void the factory or extended warranty they would have to prove that shortening the shift rod caused the transmission problem. If it is a clutch problem then it wouldn't matter anyways. The clutch is not covered.

Plus, this install does nothing to the gear ratio or any other modification to the trans. This shortens the actual shift rob inside the cabin thus shortening the throw.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtylerx
it is a stock part that has been modified by shortening the shift rod. I agree that the dealership would be hard pressed to prove that the shifter caused a problem, let alone know that it has been modified.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtylerx
As Andrew said, I'm modifying the OE Toyota shift assembly, not that hardened steel is the easiest thing to accurately modify -- it takes time and care. The OE Toyota shift assembly works very well, I'm just shortening the lever (die cut thread) for more desirable shifter feel and ergonomics !

PS -- The cost of a low volume high quality shift assembly designed and fabricated from scratch would be way more than $99, plus there would be no reason for me to pay $25 for a good condition original.

Last edited by TrevorS; 11-22-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-20-2010, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This product is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I love it and if you have a 5 speed I would highly recommend it!!! It doesn't take long at all to install and works great.

I only took it for a quick ride around the block but I can honestly say that it shifts better now then it did when it was stock. I am going to take the wife shopping later so I will let you know how it does on longer rides but I am sure my opinion will not change.

Great job Trevor!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hannibal
This product is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I love it and if you have a 5 speed I would highly recommend it!!! It doesn't take long at all to install and works great.

I only took it for a quick ride around the block but I can honestly say that it shifts better now then it did when it was stock. I am going to take the wife shopping later so I will let you know how it does on longer rides but I am sure my opinion will not change.

Great job Trevor!!!
TOLD YA!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I feel the same way myself, an essential mod !
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member

Thumbs up

Hey Trevor,

I already installed the TRD SSK awhile back with NST bushings (both of them) and am very happy with the way shifting feels - no missed shifts or other anomalies. I would however like a shorter shifter. How do you think your shortened arm would work with my already installed SSK?

As a side note I want to say how impressed and appreciative I am with all your DIY articles and you've inspired me to readjust my clutch pedal & linkage. I always knew something was wring but the dealership insists everything is to spec. Now I know otherwise. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Any interest in having a shorter MT shift lever for the xB2?