Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Coilovers or Air suspension? pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I love my coilovers. Yeah you dont have the control you get with air but going around corners at 70 with not so much as chirp from the tires is a pretty awesome feeling. the ride is similar to that of a truck.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
SL Member

its all about the install and making sure the parts are quality.

i have an AirRunner Kit on one of cars and i love it...
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 PM
SL Member

"the Custom rear Mounting plate that keeps spare tire in trunk.. soon to be released by forjworks"

that thing is sweet....i would love that in a daily driven xB
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I have to admit.... scanning through this thread... that has to be the hottest thing I've ever seen done to a Previa.... props to whoever did that install.

don't get me wrong... the slammed B's are hot too.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I def. considered both and have decided to go with....HITTING THE SWITCHES!!!
Now I will search for a shop in So Cal thanks to everyone that recommened shops I have called a few of them and everyone at the shops where honest about what they can do for me so I'll keep the search going, I'll Keep everyone updated! Any more recommendations welcomed.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

IF your going with UAS i would just go there and have them install it. If airrunner.. Autofashion!!! but the only tihng there in San Deigo.. but we all know that Freddy will get you hooked up!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ thanks!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
SL Member

Freddy will def. hook it up
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What none of these guys seem to be pointing out about the air suspension is that it ruins the handling of the vehicle. I have been bagging cars since the early 1990 when it was in its infancy. I have bagged plenty of " Show vehicles" and granted for a show vehicle it is a perfectly fine way to go, but if your going to be driving the car on the street coilovers are a much better way to go. Air suspensions work by inflating and deflating an air bag, which is typically a rubber cylinder like cushion that is often made by companies like Firestone. As the air bag inflates the bag becomes stiffer giving your vehicle a stiffer ride, problem with this is your vehicle sits higher up which alters your center of balance, if your center of balance is higher up your cornering is going to decrease. Now if you decrease the amount of air in the bag to lower your center of balance, your cars ride will feel mushy because the bag is not stiff. They all leak, anyone who says they don't has maybe gotten lucky, but with time it is inevitable, the air bag is made out of rubber just like a tire, or inner tube, they become dry rotted with time and eventually begin to leak. Fittings also often leak no matter which type you choose, and parts just break. Nothing is perfect, and the more parts you have the more chances of something failing you have. The only major advantage to airbag suspension is that your car can go up and down, so it can look cool at the local hangout, but raise back up once its time to drive. Yes, set at the correct PSi they can give you a smooth ride, but set the Psi to high and your gonna have a rough ride. On top of that there is the aspect of alignment, it is very difficult even with digital gauges to maintain an alignment, and then you will have to deal with the issue of tire ware. Some will come on here and argue against what I say, but think of it this way, I can't think of any real profesional level drift cars equipped with an airbag suspension. Further, think of the older model Lincoln and even ranger overs which where equipped with factory airbags, you always see them sitting all uneven, because even factory airbag setups are problematic.

I currently own a couple vehicles, but my toy is a 2013 Scion IQ, and when it came time o pick a suspension it was coilovers all the way. My car handles like if not better than any high end sports car I've ever driven, and I've driven quite a few! The geometry of the car being short and wide, and with my coilovers set nice and low, makes for a cornering beast!!
Sure, its not fast off the line but once your up and running its one fun little car to drive

It really is a hard choice to make ( bags vs coilovers) but you have to be realistic, if you want race car performance, use the kind of suspension they use. If you just want to look cool with your car slammed at the get togethers, and aren't as concerned with your handling then go with a set of bags, I will admit they are fun to play around with
Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Good job at reviving a three year old thread, guy.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Good job at reviving a three year old thread, guy.
New people, new opinions. It's an old thread, but a subject a lot of people still deal with when considering what route to go with when they lower their cars. Looks like this thread needed a little wake up
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agree with airbagged. The thread is old but the 2nd gen XB is still in production making this thread (and most of the threads in the gen2 area) still relevant.

Besides, a thread with good information will always be of some value.

Last edited by midtowndesi; 09-07-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see airbagged's point with ride quality and handling. However I have to disagree. Most of the problems with handling he pointed out are solved by the adjustability of bag over coil systems. Airrex is a prime example of this. If the bag is to soft and "mushy" at the height you want to drive at then crank the coils down so you raise the necessary psi. Too stiff do the opposite. I don't have bag overs personally but I have ridden in and driven cars that do and I can tell you it's the best of both worlds.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Exit_8_xB
I see airbagged's point with ride quality and handling. However I have to disagree. Most of the problems with handling he pointed out are solved by the adjustability of bag over coil systems. Airrex is a prime example of this. If the bag is to soft and "mushy" at the height you want to drive at then crank the coils down so you raise the necessary psi. Too stiff do the opposite. I don't have bag overs personally but I have ridden in and driven cars that do and I can tell you it's the best of both worlds.
I agree, the air coilover is a great idea, and in theory should solve the issues of standard bags
Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Exit_8_xB
The Air over coil over would have been my choice had it been available for my Scion IQ, but sadly the aftermarket companies don't view the IQ as worth designing parts for, so we are lucky to have the few companies that have designed a few suspension options. The airbag suspension currently available made by Airrunner is not a coilover type airbag setup, so I would not get the benefit of the air over coilover if I went with their company. On top of the fact that they are just a basic type airbag suspension, they are charging a premium for their system, so I choose to go with a standard coilover suspension, which has provided me with excellent handaling.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

My buddy was running Airrex in his Evo X. He loved it. Seemed like decent quality.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know 2 guys running air on their race cars with 0 problems what so ever. They love it, I have air lift v2 kit on my scion daily with no leaks at all and rides great. I guess it comes down to who has had terrible luck out of air and act as if nobody can ever have good luck with bags.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2012lavabox
I know 2 guys running air on their race cars with 0 problems what so ever. They love it, I have air lift v2 kit on my scion daily with no leaks at all and rides great. I guess it comes down to who has had terrible luck out of air and act as if nobody can ever have good luck with bags.
I don't think it's a matter of luck, it's just a lot of things that can go wrong on a complicated suspension setup, vs minimal parts on a much less intricate suspension setup. Airbags vs standard coil-overs is what I'm referring to. I had airbags on one vehicle in-particular for 15 years, and it had its good times, and it's bad.

What kind of race cars are you referring to that your friends have? I would be surprise to see an airbag suspension in the drifting scene if for no other reason, it is a heavy system. By the time you add up the weight of the tank,compressors, air bags, and all the other goodies you are looking at a lot of weight. Also I don't think that in a professional racing situation, they would even be approved as a track legal setup.

The airbag suspensions are getting better, and I've seen amazing progress since the 1990s but it's still a complicated setup, and with more parts come more problems! For the show scene, I would say heck yeah it's the way to go, but for a daily driver, and a race car I just don't think it's practical.

Keep in mind, I said I've had this on a vehicle 15 years, so my opinion isn't a matter of luck or no luck, it's a matter of experience, and real life use and testing.