Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Details on dealer options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default Details on dealer options?

I am researching the Scion xB 2008. I am trying to get details about the options but have not been able to find very much.

Mainly, the only options I am really wanting are Window Tint and the Keyless/Security Upgrade. From what I have read, though, is the Security Upgrade just a glass breakage detector? If someone hits my car, will it go off?

I am interested in the capabilities of the standard audio system. I was curious if it can play MP3s on DVD or is it on CDs only? Do any of the upgraded audio systems play MP3s on DVD?

Are there any other options that people might recommend? I am not a big car modder, other than my stereo (amp, empeg head unit). I have read some reports of sidewall failure in the Good Year tires so I was thinking I could upgrade those...

I know these are all rather vague questions but I was hoping to have mostly everything answered before I stop at the dealers this evening.

Thanks. Maybe by this time tomorrow I will be driving a new car...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:11 PM
SL Member

The thing has an iPod hookup and a hookup for just about any other MP3 player. I don't know what the advantage of having MP3s on a DVD would be above say an iPod. Can you elaborate more on why this is needed.

Window tint, check. Dealer can do it. Probably get it done cheaper outside of the dealer I'm sure.

The standard radio doesn't have an input for an amp. The upgraded head unit does though, and looks about 1000x cooler too. I'd go for that. In fact dealers in my area just order every xB standard with the upgraded head unit anyway.

If you're leaving your car looking stock I would still go with some kind of upgraded wheels and tires. The normal 16" hub caps are pretty lame looking. The rear hatch spoiler (rear wind deflector according to scion) is an option that really changes the look of the xB for the better I think.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member

First, thanks for replying.

Originally Posted by pufbox
The thing has an iPod hookup and a hookup for just about any other MP3 player. I don't know what the advantage of having MP3s on a DVD would be above say an iPod. Can you elaborate more on why this is needed.
Well, a CD can only hold about 127 songs which is about 10-11 albums. A DVD can hold 42 albums. I am correct in assuming the MP3 capability means it will play MP3s that are burned onto a CD? I do not have an iPOD but I do have an Archos 604wifi which might look nice if mounted.

Window tint, check. Dealer can do it. Probably get it done cheaper outside of the dealer I'm sure.
Isn't the window tint option where the glass itself is tinted and not a film/plastic layer?

The upgraded head unit does though, and looks about 1000x cooler too. I'd go for that.
I most likely will as it seems most of the in stock xBs have them.

If you're leaving your car looking stock I would still go with some kind of upgraded wheels and tires. The normal 16" hub caps are pretty lame looking. The rear hatch spoiler (rear wind deflector according to scion) is an option that really changes the look of the xB for the better I think.
Thanks for the advice on these options. When it comes to wheels/rims/tires, I just know they are round and need air.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't the window tint option where the glass itself is tinted and not a film/plastic layer?
The back windows are privacy glass....meaning they are smoked glass, no film. However, adding tint always implies a film. Nobody is going to replacing the factory glass with that of a smoked variety unless they plan on spending mass amounts of coin.

The big claim to fame on the upgrade unit is the changeable screen and the RCA outputs.

Is there any sound difference with MP3's on DVD? and you are correct, none of the units will play a music of any kind from a DVD. Except the navi, but then it only does it while the vehicle's E-brake is engaged...unless you are willing to open the gates to alternate demon dimensions by hacking it.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
SL Member

Simple solution.. buy an iPod =)

Having the iPod hooked up to the upgraded Pioneer head unit works great too. Unlike a CD, you can do a lot more then just go back and forward between tracks. Using the main control **** you can browse through your play lists and get right to the song you want.

As for wheels. I picked the 18" Enki BRDT wheels. They are not extreme at all but they give a way nicer look then stock hubcaps or 16" wheels.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Is there any sound difference with MP3's on DVD?
No, just difference in storage space. I'd rather carry 1 DVD than 3-4 CDs. Nothing more than me being lazy.

My salesperson was out last night so I did not go to the dealers. I am going there after work. I am still deciding between manual transmission and automatic, too. I think the manual would be great as I have a couple of rather large bridges (the tall kind so tugs and cruise ships can go underneath it) on my daily commute that I think the manual would be better suited for. I'll test drive the manual version tonight.

I also find myself torn between Blackberry Crush and Teal Mica but I have not seen the Blackberry in person yet...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your answer to the DVD question is No. it wont play DVD with MP3's burned as regular Data like a CD. the reason being is that it dosnt have a laser for reading DVD media. or it would play them.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 AM

Ask your dealer if they can give you the window tint as the promotion. I made my deal on Ron Carter in Houston area and they did it for free. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just realized I could not answer your CD/DVD question because I have had my xB for a little over 2 months and I have never put anything in that slot. :D
Originally Posted by TriOpticon
No, just difference in storage space. I'd rather carry 1 DVD than 3-4 CDs. Nothing more than me being lazy.
I'd rather carry one 30 gb iPod (and never touch it in the car) than carry 4 or 5 DVD's. I guess I'm really lazy.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, but you still have to load the iPod. Satellite just spoon feeds you the music.......(or comedy, or news, or traffic, or football)

I am the king of laziness!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had xm for a few years. I really liked it on a road trip but got tired of having someone else decide what I got to listen to that day.

Either way, Satellite and iPod are both better solutions than any kind of disc. :D
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ipod all the way here (just haven't made the plunge into XM yet) As for DVD playback, I played around with it on the navi, not bad at all. Then my kid says "daddy? when transformers comes out on dvd can we watch it onthe way to grandpa's?" My reply: "we'll look into it" What I was thinking "HELL YEA!" Looks like Ill be doing a wee bit of a mod on that.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the Inno from XM. You can also have recorded content in addition to the live streams. I love it!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:01 PM

If I change the head unit with a different Pioneer unit, will the IPOD plug still work?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rlsoriano1
If I change the head unit with a different Pioneer unit, will the IPOD plug still work?
Unfortunately, no.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvbitwiz
Originally Posted by rlsoriano1
Unfortunately, no.
The integration is one of the reasons the Premium HU is so alluring, the base has it too, but the Premium adds the preamp outputs.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 AM

What is different from these Pioneer head units and the others that are available from the stores? You would think that it would be very similar...

Thanks