DIY: xB hitch Snow Plow/ Back Saver because...Why not!??! - Scionlife.com

Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2011 [AZE151]

Old 01-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #1  
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY: xB hitch Snow Plow/ Back Saver because...Why not!??!

NOTE: This is not a cross post or double post. I created this thread to answer any questions folks may have about this crazy thing that I built =D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I made the snow plow like in the video below and.... IT WORKS!

A huge storm here just ended and we got over 2 feet of snow in total. as it fell today, I went out with my xB and the plow and pushed a ton of snow away with it and it worked PERFECTLY. This is such a back saver!!! and a money saver!
Plowing in my area costs $100 per storm which adds up over the course of the winter.

I made one mistake - I waited for almost a foot of snow to pile up before using the plow. next time around, if we are going to get this much snow, I will plow each time 4 inches piles up. The reason why is because I got stuck a couple of times
on my driveway in high snow areas but I was only stuck for a few minutes at a time. I put 2x4's under the tires and I was out.

This is a nice, cheap, ugly, ghetto? and crazy thing but it worked perfectly for me! the point of it is not to clean the entire driveway and leave it spotless. I built this thing to move a MAJORITY of the snow, saving my back, so I can then go back
with a shovel/salt and remove the little that's left. because of the "shoes" that i put under the plow to reduce friction, the plow leaves maybe a 1/2 inch of snow on the ground which I am more than happy with! I'd rather shovel 1/2 inch of snow than 4" inches!
or in today's case, almost 1 foot of snow! this thing saved my back today!

Total cost:
Tow hitch - $200
Hitch extender - $30
Wood/bolts for the plow- $150
Total was $380.

I made the plow exactly 6 feet wide so as I plowed, it cleared the way for the wheels of the xB.

I could have brought a snowblower but with this thing, i am sitting comfortably (and warm) in my car and simply driving in reverse. I literally reversed down my 70 foot driveway in one go and it moved all the snow to one side.
I then went back up the driveway, and did the same thing again to get the other half of the driveway. literally a couple of minutes of backing up and most of the snow has been pushed aside!

a huge thanks to RichInMN1975 on Youtube for making this thing. I literally followed his recipe for the plow and I made one just like his.

AND NOW WHAT ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE THE BEST PART: PICS!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-26-2018 at 02:28 AM.
midtowndesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #2  
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the record, this was the video i used for inspiration! i pretty much used all of his exact instructions to make a duplicate of his. only thing i added extra was a nice long 4x4 between the plow arms for added strength.

midtowndesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:30 AM   #3  
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up

Nice DIY!

MR_LUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #4  

put some snow tires on that xB and you probably won’t get stuck!
This is what I use to plow

Silverbox15 is offline   Reply With Quote