Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Factory Remote Start -

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Factory Remote Start -

Just got my Scion XB2 today, and had the remote start installed in it.

A simple question though --- if I start it remotely(and it autolocks the doors if they aren't), how do I get in without turning the engine back off?

The door unlock button is the exact same as the one that's the signal to kill the engine...not sure if that was just lack of buttons or intentional.

And, apparently, unlocking the door manually shuts it off too.

What's the deal here? Seems really hard on the engine to start it up and shut it down every time it gets started remotely.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Factory Remote Start -

Originally Posted by tounces
Just got my Scion XB2 today, and had the remote start installed in it.

A simple question though --- if I start it remotely(and it autolocks the doors if they aren't), how do I get in without turning the engine back off?

The door unlock button is the exact same as the one that's the signal to kill the engine...not sure if that was just lack of buttons or intentional.

And, apparently, unlocking the door manually shuts it off too.

What's the deal here? Seems really hard on the engine to start it up and shut it down every time it gets started remotely.
I don't think there's a remote starter on the market that lets you get into the car while the engine is running. Talk about a safety/security hazard...

You cannot remotely start the car with any door open, and you cannot open or unlock a door without it shutting off. The remote starter is purely designed to warm up/cool down your car before you get in. Very handy on 100 (or 30) degree days when you have two kids...
Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My corolla let me get in while it was remotely started, I just had to put the key in and turn it to on. If I were to hit the break it would kill the engine. But I had a seperate remote for the remote start.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Factory Remote Start -

Originally Posted by Basilius
I don't think there's a remote starter on the market that lets you get into the car while the engine is running. Talk about a safety/security hazard...
That is not true. Most cars will allow you in with the engine running. The car is in park with (probably) the e-brake set...unless you have a seizure on the way into the car, you won't be able to knock it into drive.

Pretty much all remote starts let you in with the engine running, shutting off the engine is pretty unique to the Scion model, which is why most people don't like it.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'd rather have push button start and SmartKey (or whatever its called) entry than remote start. Scion make that standard on the 2010 xB. if the Camry and the Versa can have it, then so can the xB.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

im guessing that you had the factory remote start installed..Am I correct? if that is the case the reason it shuts off when you hit unlock is because that is the way the factory toyota remote starts are designed and when you turn it with the key to open the door it is the same exact thing as opening with the factory remote because the factory alarms control the actuators in the doors which is the same as turning the key to manually open the door....i install these all the time and also the aftermarket remote starts and i install the aftermarket more than the factory just because of the engine shutting off once you enter the car....

after market remote starts work like this...you start the car remotely and then you get into the car turn the key on and step on the break and it will shut off the remote start and let u drive away as if you were normally starting it up with the key....
Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Try this: approach your vehicle while it is running, hit the LOCK buttom once and then use UNLOCK. This will hopefully unlock the doors without turning off the vehicle.

let me know.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 AM

Well, the moment the unlock button is touched, the car shuts off.

Even worse yet, I tried using the remote start from inside the vehicle. The second the key is placed in the ignition, it shuts the engine off.

I guess at least one of the guys designing these cars was practical joker and decided it was against his code of ethics to allow people to remotely start the car and drive it all in the same sequence.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:59 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So your saying after the car was started, you hit the LOCK button on the remote and then the UNLOCK bottom to unlock the car and it still turned off?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

there is no way to keep the car started when you unlock the doors ....with the factory remote start installed ....that is just how the toyota and the scion remote starts are designed....

have the dealership take it out and have then install an aftermarket one so you can have it running when you get into the car and it will be safer for the engine because you will not have to re-start the car ...