Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

First door ding!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default First door ding!

OK, my xB is a little over two months old, ~2600 miles on it and tonight got my first dent. We were parking in a lot just before a storm, it was pretty windy. I opened the drivers side door, (not too carefully, unfortunately) and the wind got hold of the door, blew it wide open and smacked it into the passenger-side rear view mirror of the car next to me.

Needless to say, I now have a nice door ding just above the drivers side door handle, where the panel curves in to the bottom edge of the window. No damage to the car next to me thankfully, but I'm just sick over the door ding. Especially since it's right above the drivers door handle, now I will see it every time I get in the car.

Only thing that lessens the pain is that it was my own fault, the result of my own carelessness so I have to live with it... I think it would burn me up a lot more if I'd come out to get in my car and found a dent left by some random person.

Any hope for fixing door dings, or do I just need to suck it up and get over it?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No hope. You have to buy a new car now.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 AM

you can fix it. Call a dent removal guy. Where do you live?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was looking at dent wizard, service available very close to where I live. Anyone use them before?

memebag... thanks for your help. You're beautiful.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh yes, I have a ding on my passanger side above the door handle because of the same thing, except, I was in the garage working on the inside and door swung and hit my dad's rear view mirror.. Was so ____ed. I didn't notice the dent for weeks after though when waxing it...

Another time my friend opened the back door to get in outside when it was REALLY windy. It swung and hit the shopping cart return thing in the lot at a store... Luckily, it hit the "inside" of the back door, like the edge so you can't see anything.

They suck but happen I guess! haha
Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm paranoid about that type of stuff so I park away from everyone.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am just about ready to take a hammer and sandpaper to mine. I am so disgusted over @ss40les in parking lots. I got a huge scrape on the pass front door from a shopping cart somebody let go. I was in the boonies, too. That was yesterday. Today I noticed a small brush on the bumper above the reverse light. Not sure if it's another cart or a kid that kicked a ball across it. Then there's the dig and scrape I did myslef when I backed into a fence. And one or more of my kids walked between the front right corner of the box and my house, carrying something and now I got a small thin scratch there. I must be blind, because I can't seem to find the targets painted on it that say "hit me here"
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scratches are worse than dings. Most larger cities have several paintless dent removal places. A mild door ding with no paint repair is usually $50-$100. Most places will polish the clear coat over the ding so you can't even tell that it was there. Call your insurance company and ask who they use for hail damage. They're usually glad to refer you to someone, especially if you're paying for it yourself.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Update - took it to a "Dent Wizard" dealership and they were doubtful when they looked at it, since it was so close to the edge of the door. "I won't be able to get it back to 100%, but maybe 80 - 90%". I was given a quote of $129 and a half hour to fix it. I decided to go for it.

I am glad that I did and very pleased with the results; it looks better than I thought it would considering the way they warned me. It's not perfect, but if you weren't looking specifically for it, you'd never notice it.

Dent Wizard. Highly recommended.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bumped a rock at the lake. it's on the passenger side so i don't see it daily, but in my mind it's worse than it looks.

always park on the highest point of the parking lot
Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have dimples in the top section of my rear hatch from my old bike rack (the strap on type). They're barely noticeable but I hate them. I was thinking of going to a place called Dent Devils. If they quote me anything like your car (about $129), I'm going to go for it also. Thanks for the tip.