Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Gearing Up to Buy a New xB...Advice Requested.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default Gearing Up to Buy a New xB...Advice Requested.

Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of a 2005 xB Automatic, and it's been a wonderful car for me. Despite being seven years old, it still performs like new, and I've only had to perform preventative maintenance all these years.

However, since I bought my xB, my family has grown a bit, and my needs are a bit different then before. Therefore, I am planning to buy a 2012 xB Automatic, but I wanted to get some insight from the Scion community about some of the available options before selecting them.

First and foremost, here are my goals for the new xB:
  1. Best possible ride comfort. As anyone who owned a first generation xB knows, the original xB let you feel all the bumps in the road. Road noise was fairly loud, and turning aggressively would cause the xB to lose it's normally sure footing. I know I can't eliminate all these things, but I would like to minimize them as much as possible.
  2. Safety. While the xB is an extremely safe vehicle, I want to do whatever I can to improve the safety of the car as much as possible.
  3. Reliability. Again, the xB is tremendously reliable, and in all this time owning it, I've only had to do preventative maintenance. My most expensive repair was replacing and servicing my stock brakes, which I only did this year.
  4. Ease of Installation. I intend to really purchase options available through my dealership. I know this is more expensive, but I would prefer the ease of getting it done through the dealer then trying to figure out everything aftermarket. The only aftermarket addition I intend to get is the LED mod for the xB's instruments, as the orange color is fugly.

Here is what I would like advice on:

Scion Paint Protection - Is this noticeable once applied? Does it do the job of protecting the paint on the front of the xB?

Cargo Cover - Is this an actual hard cover? The first-gen xB one was flimsy nylon cover that was annoying to clip in and didn't really work all that well. Have they improved the design?

Fog Lights - Are these fog lights the dealer installed good? Do they help with poor viability conditions, or are they more cosmetic?

Scion Security System and/or Remote Engine Start - Does the Remote Engine Start feature include the Scion Security System? The wording in the description of these accessories is rather confusing.

Auto-Dimming Mirror - Is the assembly that holds the mirror up better then the one on the old xB? On hot days, my rear view mirror would always sag downward at the joint, and wouldn't hold it's position until the A/C had cooled the cabin. If this mirror has a solid hinge, it's worth every penny.

TRD Front and Rear Sway Bars - Do these improve the feel of the ride? Or just make turning feel tighter? Are they a useful addition for a non-performance driver? I tend to drive fairly conservatively, and I want a good feeling drive, but I don't need a performance monster.

TRD Performance Shocks - Do these provide a smoother, more comfortable ride? Or a stiffer, sportier one? I'd prefer comfort more then anything else.

TRD Performance Brakes & Brake Pads - Do these brakes last longer then the standard brakes? I want the longest possible brake life I can get...I tend to drive in the city exclusively, so solid brakes are a must. If these things brake better but get used up faster, I'd rather stick with the stock brakes.

TRD Cold Air Intake - I've heard that in addition to increasing performance, these intakes help with fuel economy slightly as well. Is this true?

Scion Navigation System 200 - Is this system easy to use and responsive? Does it work well with an iPod? Is the cell phone connectivity via Bluetooth good, with clear audio and easy pairing? Even though it's overpriced, is it a good system to have?

Rear Seat Entertainment System - Are they LCDs included in these decent? Good for kids? Or are they poor quality?

16" Alloy Wheels - Are these better for improving ride comfort and fuel economy versus the standard steel wheel with a cover (as the Scion website says)? Do they scratch easily?

I thank anyone who replies in advance...the only thing that is better then owning a Scion is being part of the community of Scion owners. ^_^
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Konig-Wolf
Scion Paint Protection - Is this noticeable once applied? Does it do the job of protecting the paint on the front of the xB?
I wouldnt opt for that option. Its very noticeable unless you get white or the dark colors.

Cargo Cover - Is this an actual hard cover? The first-gen xB one was flimsy nylon cover that was annoying to clip in and didn't really work all that well. Have they improved the design?
Its a nylon-ish hard cover that clicks in to place. My xB had one but it didnt come with mine when i got it. I have yet to have anyone order one from me.

Fog Lights - Are these fog lights the dealer installed good? Do they help with poor viability conditions, or are they more cosmetic?
I notice the light projects low and to the ground with the fogs, i havent really had super foggy days since owning it but cosmetically it looks better and i always like driving fogs+lights anyway. Its a good option to have
Scion Security System and/or Remote Engine Start - Does the Remote Engine Start feature include the Scion Security System? The wording in the description of these accessories is rather confusing.
I have the SSS on mine, besides the red blinking light i cant notice a damn thing different than a normal lock/unlock standard issue key fob/system.

Auto-Dimming Mirror - Is the assembly that holds the mirror up better then the one on the old xB? On hot days, my rear view mirror would always sag downward at the joint, and wouldn't hold it's position until the A/C had cooled the cabin. If this mirror has a solid hinge, it's worth every penny.
This didnt come with mine but i wish it did. My standard bland mirror hasnt moved and its been in the sun in well over 115* days.

TRD Front and Rear Sway Bars - Do these improve the feel of the ride? Or just make turning feel tighter? Are they a useful addition for a non-performance driver? I tend to drive fairly conservatively, and I want a good feeling drive, but I don't need a performance monster.
I drove a few without it then drove mine with it. it may be in my head but i felt the difference, considerably less flimsy feeling in hard turns and on ramps. I dont street race or stop light race, hell i barely take it over 4k getting on the freeway but i really like mine with the bars.

TRD Performance Shocks - Do these provide a smoother, more comfortable ride? Or a stiffer, sportier one? I'd prefer comfort more then anything else.
mine came with these, so i cant really speak for them but i think they ride just fine, not firm and not like a waterbed.

TRD Performance Brakes & Brake Pads - Do these brakes last longer then the standard brakes? I want the longest possible brake life I can get...I tend to drive in the city exclusively, so solid brakes are a must. If these things brake better but get used up faster, I'd rather stick with the stock brakes.
less dust but overall, same exact thing.

TRD Cold Air Intake - I've heard that in addition to increasing performance, these intakes help with fuel economy slightly as well. Is this true?
I personally dont have one but im averaging 25-30 mpg without it, id be shocked if it helped it besides noise.

Scion Navigation System 200 - Is this system easy to use and responsive? Does it work well with an iPod? Is the cell phone connectivity via Bluetooth good, with clear audio and easy pairing? Even though it's overpriced, is it a good system to have?
I have the SNS100 and i love it. iPod interface is great as well the settings were enough for me to tune mine with a line out converter when i added subs. Only draw back, to update the nav you're looking around $200.

16" Alloy Wheels - Are these better for improving ride comfort and fuel economy versus the standard steel wheel with a cover (as the Scion website says)? Do they scratch easily?
in fact i think they might be heavier. stick with steelies and caps.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your going to love your new XB....Auto is fine and you might even enjoy using the Sequencial Shift every now and again. As for the other adds....personally i would take it stock and add stuff as you go. As for the Navi-I purchased a Garmin 1450LMT for 179.00 includes LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC..forget the overpriced factory navi and its update draw backs.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to read more carefully. There is no TRD front sway bar, but there is a rear sway bar and front strut brace. You can safely ignore the strut brace, but the rear sway bar is definiteley helpful.

The fog lights are excellent for the job for which they are intended (driving in precipitate conditions). If your goals are otherwise, then look elsewhere.

The security system works fine for me and can be extended if you're imaginative !

Lastly, don't expect any intake to improve your gas mileage. However, it can certainly boost your peak performance.

Good luck with your new car !
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SamCarroll
I wouldnt opt for that option. Its very noticeable unless you get white or the dark colors.
Paint Protection Film - I'm planning to go with the Elusive Blue Metallic...it looks fairly dark on the Scion website...will it be dark enough to avoid the film being visible?

Its a nylon-ish hard cover that clicks in to place. My xB had one but it didnt come with mine when i got it. I have yet to have anyone order one from me.
Cargo Cover - Well, if it's a hard cover, it still should be better then the soft cover from the first generation. I'm not looking for it to bear any sort of load, I just don't want it sagging in the center. ^_^

I notice the light projects low and to the ground with the fogs, i havent really had super foggy days since owning it but cosmetically it looks better and i always like driving fogs+lights anyway. Its a good option to have.
Fog Lights - True, and anything that improves visibility in night conditions is probably a winner in my book.

I have the SSS on mine, besides the red blinking light i cant notice a damn thing different than a normal lock/unlock standard issue key fob/system.
SSS/Remote Start - I think I'll get the Remote Start then, but save the money from the SSS and get a LoJack installed instead.

This didnt come with mine but i wish it did. My standard bland mirror hasnt moved and its been in the sun in well over 115* days.
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror - That's good to hear. One of the very few things I disliked about my xB was the way the mirror would droop when it gets hot...providing me a lovely view of my backseat, but failing to show me what is behind the car. T_T

I drove a few without it then drove mine with it. it may be in my head but i felt the difference, considerably less flimsy feeling in hard turns and on ramps. I dont street race or stop light race, hell i barely take it over 4k getting on the freeway but i really like mine with the bars.
Sway Bars - If it helps with the quicker, harder turns, it's probably worth it then. That's the only time my xB doesn't feel sure-footed.

mine came with these, so i cant really speak for them but i think they ride just fine, not firm and not like a waterbed.
TRD Shocks - When you go over crappy roads, do these shocks jar you though? With my '05, I feel every bump, large and small...if these ones give a more comfortable ride, I'm totally down with that.

less dust but overall, same exact thing.
TRD Brakes & Pads - Less dust would still be nice...cleaning the wheels on the xB was always a pain, as it seemed the brakes kicked out quite a bit of dust.

I personally dont have one but im averaging 25-30 mpg without it, id be shocked if it helped it besides noise.
TRD Cold Air Intake - A friend said it gave a good amount more power, and helped his fuel economy somewhat. If it reduces noise though, that's good too...make it quieter in the cabin.

I have the SNS100 and i love it. iPod interface is great as well the settings were enough for me to tune mine with a line out converter when i added subs. Only draw back, to update the nav you're looking around $200.
SNS 200 - I'll definitely have to check it out at the dealership then...sounds like a worthy option, even with the elevated price.

in fact i think they might be heavier. stick with steelies and caps.
16" Alloy Wheels - Guess I'll skip those then. Thanks for the heads up...I figured the Alloy would be lighter, but there might be more material overall.

Originally Posted by Shadezz
Your going to love your new XB....Auto is fine and you might even enjoy using the Sequencial Shift every now and again. As for the other adds....personally i would take it stock and add stuff as you go. As for the Navi-I purchased a Garmin 1450LMT for 179.00 includes LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC..forget the overpriced factory navi and its update draw backs.
Well, I got my '05 fairly stock...the problem was, I never wound up adding to it like I thought I would. I'm thinking about going the dealer options route so I'll actually get some fancy stuff this time around. ^_^

Thanks for the information guys, I really do appreciate it. ^_^
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know if you are mechanically inclined or not, but you can buy most of the stuff on your list from trdsparks or a similar website and save a ton of monies
Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rockztar
i don't know if you are mechanically inclined or not, but you can buy most of the stuff on your list from trdsparks or a similar website and save a ton of monies
I can build incredible computers, and pretty decent models, but my mechanical skills are limited to basic maintenance. Anything more complex then checking my fluids, pressures and gauges is beyond me. That's why I'm going for the dealer-installed option, despite the price difference.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm the guy that Scion dealers "dislike" since I look around at the aftermarket options.
1. Paint protection, scout around at the better glass tinting companies. They usually can do the same job for less than what Scion charges. In fact, the paint protection is done by aftermarket companies for your local Scion dealership.
2. Cargo cover. Again, look around and online. And ask how often you'll actually use it. Know of anyone who can sew?
3.Security system. The factory system is very basic and pricey for what it does. You can usually get the same or better for 1/3-1/2 less at a good car alarm store. Again, do research.
4. Nav system. Garmin, Tomtom, cost less, are easy to update, easier to use and cost less.
5. Alloy wheels. Scion has some nice ones, but there are so many other styles out there to chose from too.

The dealership makes it's money on the add-ons and they charge far more than aftermarket. A little research is always in order to get the best value (note not lowest price).

Handy tip: have paint protection film installed on the door entry sills. Remember that kids really do step on the sills to get in the car. Have you thought of vent shades for the windows? Last thing: stuff to store in the spare tire well: Maglite, light gloves for tire changing and most importantly, a roll of toilet paper (because you'll never know when you'll need it).
Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll just comment on the dealership parts I have on my xB.

I don't have the remote start on mine but I do have the SSS and it seems to work out pretty good. The key remote has a good range on locking/unlocking doors. I wish I had the remote start to help warm/cool the car during the hot/cold seasons. But the piece of mind is always a plus.

I bought the TRD shocks for mine and the xB2 handles great. I have since taken the TRD shocks off cause after about 7 months they stop retracting up and noticed the dealership messed up on installing them. If you're going to upgrade the suspension I recommend getting the springs too. The TRD shocks are little stiffer and the handling is improved but not by much. But if you upgrade springs, shocks, and add strut bars then you will notice a bigger difference and it looks better! I would say stick with the stock struts to save money but get the sway bars and springs if you really want better comfort and handling unless you plan on having a little more fun driving your xB.

Since you said you changed the brakes on your old xB I suggest you stick with the stock system then search the internet for a deal on OEM size drill/slotted rotors and pads and change it yourself. That's what I did with mine. The TRD system is good but for what you're looking for out of them it would be cheaper and "2nd best" to just upgrade with OEM size parts. They will last longer and brake better than stock setup. For looks, before you put on the new pads paint the calipers what ever color you like and people will still give you praises for how they look.

GET IT! Only problem I had with mine is that the dealership kind of half-assed the installation and the filter fell out cause they could never clamp the filter in. But I just put a different filter on that is maintenance free and didn't lose anything on performance. Might want to look into getting the TRD muffler too. With both the TRD CAI and muffler you'll get more HP, a little meaner sound but not so much to where it sounds "ricey". Fuel mileage is a little better too. Still around the 25-32mpg range. Definitely worth getting.

Rear Seat Entertainment System - Are they LCDs included in these decent? Good for kids? Or are they poor quality?
Many dealerships have a deal with some car audio places (like Scion of Plano Tx with Car Toys). When I asked about the upgraded navigation system they told me they could get whatever I wanted. They hooked me up with a Kenwood deck that came with Garmin navigation, full iPod control, bluetooth, CD/DVD player, USB port, and easy hookup on additional stuff for later. I've since added aftermarket rear view camera and LCD headrest screens. That being said it was all worth it! The bluetooth is a must if you get a manual transmission and between the headrest monitors and iPod my 2yr old son is never bored riding along with me. Heck his head is bobbing and nodding after about 1.5 miles of driving and watching Mickey Mouse club. lol I don't know if the TRD monitors are LCD but if you want something for the kiddos to watch then go for it! Then tell them to get you iTunes gift cards for father's day and they will want to ride in your car all the time.

I can build incredible computers, and pretty decent models, but my mechanical skills are limited to basic maintenance. Anything more complex then checking my fluids, pressures and gauges is beyond me. That's why I'm going for the dealer-installed option, despite the price difference.
I'm the same way. I work on large system computers but cars is a different story. Best thing to happen to me and working on my car is talking and hanging out with the Scion community. You will be amazed how many people are willing to help work on your xB and save TONS of money on labor. Most of us on are on a budget so anything to help save money helps! You may not get the warranty on labor but you'll get the knowledge on how parts are installed and can do most of the preventive maintenance yourself. Just don't be afraid to admit what you don't know and have fun with the crew! Look into joining a Scion club! Scikotics, Scion Evolution, Team Scion Eyed or even clubs with multiple manufacturers. You'll find deals on parts and the clubs will help save on labor costs.

It is true that you can save money buying parts outside the dealership but you get warranty if you have them put them on. I had some regrets from what the dealership did to my xB. I just hope your dealership takes better care of you than the experience I had with mine. Hope I helped with the advice. Good luck!

Last edited by Boffmyazz; 07-19-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Boffmyazz
I'll just comment on the dealership parts I have on my xB.

I don't have the remote start on mine but I do have the SSS and it seems to work out pretty good. The key remote has a good range on locking/unlocking doors. I wish I had the remote start to help warm/cool the car during the hot/cold seasons. But the piece of mind is always a plus.
I'll be checking it out at the dealer then...the keys for the SSS and the Remote Start system look very similar, so I'll have to see if they overlap, in terms of functionality.

I bought the TRD shocks for mine and the xB2 handles great. I have since taken the TRD shocks off cause after about 7 months they stop retracting up and noticed the dealership messed up on installing them. If you're going to upgrade the suspension I recommend getting the springs too. The TRD shocks are little stiffer and the handling is improved but not by much. But if you upgrade springs, shocks, and add strut bars then you will notice a bigger difference and it looks better! I would say stick with the stock struts to save money but get the sway bars and springs if you really want better comfort and handling unless you plan on having a little more fun driving your xB.
Comfort is king here, so I'm pretty much sold on the sway bars. The springs I'm not sure about, as I like the fact that the xB sits up high...better visibility for me, so I'll have to think about the springs.

Since you said you changed the brakes on your old xB I suggest you stick with the stock system then search the internet for a deal on OEM size drill/slotted rotors and pads and change it yourself. That's what I did with mine. The TRD system is good but for what you're looking for out of them it would be cheaper and "2nd best" to just upgrade with OEM size parts. They will last longer and brake better than stock setup. For looks, before you put on the new pads paint the calipers what ever color you like and people will still give you praises for how they look.
Ah, I didn't change the brakes myself...sorry if that was unclear. I just recently had the brakes serviced for the first time, and the dealer replaced my brake pads and did all the work. I just ponied up the cash. Still, those front brakes lasted me seven years, so I think the TRD ones might last me even longer.

GET IT! Only problem I had with mine is that the dealership kind of half-assed the installation and the filter fell out cause they could never clamp the filter in. But I just put a different filter on that is maintenance free and didn't lose anything on performance. Might want to look into getting the TRD muffler too. With both the TRD CAI and muffler you'll get more HP, a little meaner sound but not so much to where it sounds "ricey". Fuel mileage is a little better too. Still around the 25-32mpg range. Definitely worth getting.
I'll have a friend who is an expert on car mods check it after I buy the Cold Air Intake. It makes sense, and even a small performance/fuel economy boost is worth it.

Many dealerships have a deal with some car audio places (like Scion of Plano Tx with Car Toys). When I asked about the upgraded navigation system they told me they could get whatever I wanted. They hooked me up with a Kenwood deck that came with Garmin navigation, full iPod control, bluetooth, CD/DVD player, USB port, and easy hookup on additional stuff for later. I've since added aftermarket rear view camera and LCD headrest screens. That being said it was all worth it! The bluetooth is a must if you get a manual transmission and between the headrest monitors and iPod my 2yr old son is never bored riding along with me. Heck his head is bobbing and nodding after about 1.5 miles of driving and watching Mickey Mouse club. lol I don't know if the TRD monitors are LCD but if you want something for the kiddos to watch then go for it! Then tell them to get you iTunes gift cards for father's day and they will want to ride in your car all the time.
This is something I'll need to look into with my dealer. I just want to make sure the work is under warranty, which is why I'm going with the dealer route.

I'm the same way. I work on large system computers but cars is a different story. Best thing to happen to me and working on my car is talking and hanging out with the Scion community. You will be amazed how many people are willing to help work on your xB and save TONS of money on labor. Most of us on are on a budget so anything to help save money helps! You may not get the warranty on labor but you'll get the knowledge on how parts are installed and can do most of the preventive maintenance yourself. Just don't be afraid to admit what you don't know and have fun with the crew! Look into joining a Scion club! Scikotics, Scion Evolution, Team Scion Eyed or even clubs with multiple manufacturers. You'll find deals on parts and the clubs will help save on labor costs.

It is true that you can save money buying parts outside the dealership but you get warranty if you have them put them on. I had some regrets from what the dealership did to my xB. I just hope your dealership takes better care of you than the experience I had with mine. Hope I helped with the advice. Good luck!
I had good luck with my dealer, and have had all my maintenance done there. They did a good job with my '05 xB, so hopefully they will do the same with my '12 xB.

Thanks to everyone who's provided info thus far...it's definitely helping me to make informed decisions.