Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Help have Electrical problem with the Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
It's about time to switch over to snows here and so I picked up a $6 squeeze tube of Permatex dielectric grease today. I'll treat all four ABS connectors as I change the wheels.
Switched over to snows today and treated the two rear ABS connectors. I was going to do the front as well, but they have a completely different style of connection with a bolt and even after removing the bolt, there was no sign of willingness to disconnect, so I just left them as is. At least, the rears should be protected now.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happy to report that Jennifer's replacement Timiesha got back to me, and the TSB for our problem is contained in the downloadable package of xB2 technical files ("xB2 Tech and DIY"), S-SB-0040-09 (dated July 6, 2009). Here's the info:

=======================================================

Applicability
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2008 – 2009 xB

Introduction
Some 2008 – 2009 model year Scion xB vehicles may exhibit an ABS MIL “ON” condition with either one or both of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):
• C0210 – Rear Speed Sensor RH Circuit
• C0215 – Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit
A newly designed speed sensor connector is available for this condition. Use the following repair procedure to diagnose and repair vehicles exhibiting this condition.

Production Change Information
This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.

MODEL PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
Scion xB Kanto JTLKE50E#91070695

Parts Information
PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY
89516-12051 Same Wire, Skid Control, RH 1
89516-12061 Same Wire, Skid Control, LH 1
42450-12090 Same Hub and Bearing Assembly, Rear
Axle LH and RH 2

© 2009 Toyota Motor Sales, USA Page 1 of 3

S-SB-0040-09 July 6, 2009 Page 2 of 3
ABS MIL "ON" DTC C0210 or C0215

Warranty Information
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP
-----
BR8015 R & R Rear Speed Sensor Wire (One Side) 0.5
Combo A Opposite Side 0.1
89516-12###
-----
BR8016 R & R Rear Speed Sensor & Sensor
Wire Harness (One Side) 1.0
Combo A Opposite Side 0.5
42450-12090
-----

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for
36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
• Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific
complaint.

© 2009 Toyota Motor Sales, USA Page 2 of 3

S-SB-0040-09 July 6, 2009 Page 3 of 3
ABS MIL "ON" DTC C0210 or C0215

Repair Procedure
1. Confirm that the ABS warning light is illuminated.
2. Use TIS Techstream to perform a Health Check.
3. If either C0210 or C0215 DTC codes are stored under the ABS System, inspect the rear speed
sensor connectors and sensor pins for rust/corrosion.
4. If rust/corrosion is found in the left rear and/or right rear speed sensor connector, disconnect the
connector and replace the speed sensor wire harness.
If rust/corrosion is also found on the terminals of the rear speed sensors, replace the speed
sensors.
Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), applicable model year Scion xB Repair Manual for rear speed sensor replacement and installation:
• 2008 Scion xB:
Drivetrain – Axle/Differential – “Axle: Rear Axle Hub: Removal and Installation”
• 2009 Scion xB:
Drivetrain – Axle/Differential – “Axle: Rear Axle Hub: Removal and Installation”
5. After the repair is complete, clear any stored DTCs and test drive the vehicle to confirm the repair.

© 2009 Toyota Motor Sales, USA
=======================================================

I figure the best solution for this one is dielectric grease before corrosion starts !

Last edited by TrevorS; 12-20-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This happened to me today, so for those of you that have removed the ABS connector I have a question. On the diagram it says...."using a screwdriver, remove the claw of the connector lock portion". Now, this "Claw", does it come off or is it part of the electrical connector as a whole?

Most of the electrical connectors have a squeeze tab to remove. I haven't looked to see for myself since I will do this on Monday when I have time. I purchased the electrical cleaner and dielectric grease.

The lights went off after a while and haven't been on since, but I know that this will return if the problem is not corrected.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbscion
This happened to me today, so for those of you that have removed the ABS connector I have a question. On the diagram it says...."using a screwdriver, remove the claw of the connector lock portion". Now, this "Claw", does it come off or is it part of the electrical connector as a whole?

Most of the electrical connectors have a squeeze tab to remove. I haven't looked to see for myself since I will do this on Monday when I have time. I purchased the electrical cleaner and dielectric grease.
The release is at the bottom of the connector and requires a small flat blade screwdriver. The only thing that should come off is the entire connector. DO NOT release the cover, only the connector.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did any one that did this take any real pictures, step by step? The picture shown just shows what you see when you look at the connector from under the car, not how to do it. The diagram shown here is cartoonish at best. The claw removal and removal isn't clear as to getting it off.

Do not release the cover? Is that the gray plastic housing you see while looking at it?

Thanks

Last edited by xbscion; 01-17-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbscion
Did any one that did this take any real pictures, step by step? The picture shown just shows what you see when you look at the connector from under the car, not how to do it. The diagram shown here is cartoonish at best. The claw removal and removal isn't clear as to getting it off.

Do not release the cover? Is that the gray plastic housing you see while looking at it?

Thanks
On a flat surface with transmission in first (manual) or park (automatic), jack a rear corner so the wheel is off the ground. Remove the wheel. At the top rear of the hub there is a speed sensor connector. Within the bottom rear of the plug is a slot containing a plastic latch that must be released with a small flat blade screwdriver. DO NOT release anything other than that latch. When the latch releases, the connector plug can be pulled directly back from the hub, free of the socket. Completely fill the socket with dielectric grease. Reinsert the connector plug and be sure it latches. Reinstall the wheel and repeat with the other rear wheel.

If this is insufficient information, then I'm afraid I'm unable to help.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TrevorS. Thanks for your time!!