How to get at least 27mpg !_! Read if you get crappy mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by waterlilly
Originally Posted by peestandingup
Judging by the responses here, most of you are really concerned with MPG. I gotta ask, why did you buy a xB2 to begin with?? Toyota obviously dropped the ball on MPG with the 2nd gen, no??
I think people are "concerned" because they are getting less than the normal or "advertised" MPG...

Unless you are wealthy enough that you don't pay attention to gas prices, who isn't concerned about MPG?
Im just saying. You guys bought a car thats rated for 22MPG, so dont be shocked when you're only getting 20MPG out of it.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im just saying. You guys bought a car thats rated for 22MPG, so dont be shocked when you're only getting 20MPG out of it.
gotta love a troll...I bought a car that is rated 22/28 which equates to a 26 average...so if I was gettign a 6 mpg difference yes I would be shocked...now head on back to your side of the forum

-wC
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think there is reason for concern when I get 21 MPG highway considering that is less than the city rating.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
SL Member

I have 8200 on my auto xB2 and I'm getting anywhere from 25.9 to 30.2 on a weekely basis.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First thing I would do is look and see what is getting hot . . . all that gasoline energy has to be going somewhere and it usually ends up as heat or black soot in the tail pipe. Check for hot tires or / and brakes and see how fast the engine warms up from cold. You amy also just run on a level road at 30mph and see what the computer says you are getting . . . if it is only saying about 30mpg then you have some serious engine and tranny issues. The only big thing that can affect mileage that is hard to figure out is sometimes the VVTi control gear on the cam hangs up and doesn't adjust properly.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WheelSee
gotta love a troll...I bought a car that is rated 22/28 which equates to a 26 average...so if I was gettign a 6 mpg difference yes I would be shocked...now head on back to your side of the forum

-wC
How are my statements at all "trolling"?? Just stating the facts. The MPG ratings are AVERAGES, so if you're getting a bit below the average (whether its city or highway) don't freak out, its normal. OK?? If you wanted your averages consistently over 30MPG (which it sounds like most of you do), you shouldn't have bought a car that isn't rated for that.

And actually, I'll post where I want, thanks.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the EPS numbers are from a very well controlled course that they run the cars through and may not be simular to the typical driving conditions that people tend to drive - however there are driving conditions that are much worse than the EPA test track and doing things like accelerating too much when the engine is cold or sitting at idle when the engine is cold will use a lot of gas and really lower your initial mileage into the single digits.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haven't they modified the tests to simulate more real world conditions now?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah more closer to how SOME people drive but not at all what the vehicle can get if you work at it. I would like to see what the MAXimum that a car can get under ideal real world conditions - I am not talking tail winds however just best speed on a level road maximum MPG.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
I would like to see what the MAXimum that a car can get under ideal real world conditions - I am not talking tail winds however just best speed on a level road maximum MPG.
Me too. A sorta "best of" rating on every sticker. Meaning the absolute best the car could do with good quality gas on straight roads.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How are my statements at all "trolling"?? Just stating the facts. The MPG ratings are AVERAGES, so if you're getting a bit below the average (whether its city or highway) don't freak out, its normal. OK?? If you wanted your averages consistently over 30MPG (which it sounds like most of you do), you shouldn't have bought a car that isn't rated for that.

your post history speaks for itself...the purpose of this thread is to discuss the MPG ratings that xBGen2 owners get not xBGen1 owners get...nor is the purpose to come in here and bash the people that bought a car that makes you quote "wanna vomit on"

This is a very different ScionLife then when I was here in 2003...

anyway back on topic so far I'm two tanks in and have been averaging right around 25 MPG with about 70% highway driving...

-wC
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WheelSee

your post history speaks for itself...the purpose of this thread is to discuss the MPG ratings that xBGen2 owners get not xBGen1 owners get...nor is the purpose to come in here and bash the people that bought a car that makes you quote "wanna vomit on"

This is a very different ScionLife then when I was here in 2003...

anyway back on topic so far I'm two tanks in and have been averaging right around 25 MPG with about 70% highway driving...

-wC
Get over it dude. You're pulling quotes from things I posted 6 months ago in a totally different topic & trying to make it relevant to this thread, making me look like Im "bashing people" when I certainly am not. I definitely havent kept quiet about my dislike of the new xB in the past, but I've never bashed anyone personally & I certainly haven't done that here.

You seem to lash out at anyone who says a single negative thing about the xB2 (check out your sig, past posts, etc. See, I can do it too). Everyone has a right to their own opinion, get over it or move on.

What I said was very relevant to the topic. People seem to be expecting upwards of 30MPG+ with the new xB & wondering why they aren't getting it. Well, its because the car isn't nearly rated for that at all.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

filled up last night, last tank got 31.2. seem to be getting better as i get more miles on it?

as i stated before though, i don't go over 70, and do mixed highway and backroad driving (60/30) averaging ~80miles per day.

my computer keeps giving me 1-2 mpg over what i actually get (said 33.2) though.

i've got 1500miles on my xB2
Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow ____ I got the ____test milegage this time 20.7 avg and that on a stock xb2 and I don't even drive that aggressively ; 0
Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tC gets 32 mpg according to my ScanGauge II.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get 20mpg going up hill for half a mile. Trip to airport and back in heavy traffic and heavy rain 66 miles got me about 40mpg.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The average speed indicator in the xb2 tells a lot. On a normal work week I commute 12.5 miles each way. Most of it is on the freeway, but my average speed is usually 22-24 mph. The computer says I get 24.6 MPG and the actual MPG is more like 23-24.

I took a road trip last month and I had a few tanks where the average speed was around 68 mph. The computer would say about 30mpg and my actual mpg was 30!

I'm not too sure what my point is. It's friday afternoon and I'm trying to look busy sitting in my cubicle. I guess the "take home" point is I think the average speed you travel is a better indicator of what kind of mileage you should expect to get. If you're averaging city speeds, then you'll likely get city mileage.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

I have over 8500 on mine so far. I am averaging 25 mpg, but I do about 85% city driving. I work 5-10 mins from work with quite a few lights. However, on the highway, I am getting 31-34. I have recently started warming my car up before just taking off in it, especially in the morning. I have noticed a little improvement in mpg's.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i'm on some heavy 18's and just by easing a little off the gas during my commute, i've been able to keep my mileage at 22 mpg in rush hour traffic. not bad and something i can live with.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 AM
SL Member

ive been getting about 26-30 mpg,

Quick Reply: How to get at least 27mpg !_! Read if you get crappy mpg