I have a concern....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default I have a concern....

With the intro of these new scion models this site may never be the same. I still want Toyota to drop the idea of calling the new "xB" an xB. There is already an xB and there will never be another. Yes i know we call the US version of the bB and xB but at least the 1st gen xB maintained that classic body style. This new car called an xB is i'm sure a sweet car but as far as i'm concerned calling it an xB is as bad as calling it a bB. The new bB looks nothing like the old gens either but it also doesn't look like the new xB. If we are to have a new xB it should look like the new bB. I believe that this fiasco goes against what we are doing here at scionlife. This is just an oppinion of course but i have to ask....how is this going to change the look and funtion of scionlife? It's hard enough trying to explain the difference between 1st and 2nd gen bBs and between bBs and xBs. If they would've just called it something else (xE, xF, xG, sEx) anything but xB i wouldn't be going on this rant. How shallow and fickle does Toyota think we are. Just because some people had issues with our xBs doesn't mean they have to reinvent the wheel and call it a box. Do you get me? Scionlife should not change because we are the enthusiasts not the idiot executive who decided to name this new car an xB. That person has no idea the loyalty some of us have to this car. Make fun of me if you want but then ask yourself "why am i driving an xB in the first place?" I bought one because it was something completely different from the mainstream American mindset. Now Toyota wants to throw that whole concept out and appeal to everyone who insulted your xB. I'm just one guy and i don't know how to make Toyota understand or alot of you most likely but i don't want this new car too be called an xB if for nothing else but the integrity of this community.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...quit your whining dude. seriously. you own an xb, not the concept of the xb. who is to say that some heartless executive made this choice? how do you know the designors don't love the car as much as you do? car change with each generation no matter how iconic they are. look at the corvette! it has had many makeovers, same with the nissan z, another classic car.

anyway, the xa was a dud, it gets replaced by the xd to separate the dud with hopefully the next big thing, the xb was a hit, so it gets another generation. the tc was also a hit, so it will probably get another generation named the tc, if the xd sells well, it will get a second gen too.

you want integrity? your a 1st gen owner of a car with a cult following that totally deviated away from the mainstream car design. that is something you will always have, just like i have the a tc from the very first year they were sold. i don't know why you guys are so militant about the 2nd gen of scions. all this hype and anticipation and your complaining about the name!

as far as there being only one xb, there are four, they are the toyota echo, the scion xa and jdm version, the bb. what makes it an xb? the drivetrain, the exterior, or the name?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Its a little too late, its the xB no matter what us whiners say.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, but in answer to the tC folk who do not understand the problem with that (nor, apparently do they care to), I would like to quote from another of the seemingly endless threads on just how distasteful this is to so many of those firstgen xB owners.

Originally Posted by THE_DON
For all of the tC lovers who also love the new xB, imagine this for a minute...

"Next year they redesign the tC (keeping the same name) and give it a 103 hp Yaris engine, [square off all the lines], and make it smaller.... A LOT of tC owners would be crying foul and demanding that the name be changed... I mean, it's not a 'tC' anymore, right?"
-THE DON
("[ ]" and emphasis added)
See: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...306659#2306659

And yes, Scion can call the xB2 whatever they want. I'm just hoping they understand that it bothers many of their most loyal buyers.

Tom
Old 02-14-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, if they did that to the tc, i'd be that much more gratful i got my first gen. plus, then the value of our 1st gen tc would sky rocket because of they are more more desirable!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks Tomas. Draxcaliber i had an opinion and i expressed it. That's part of what these forums are for. That's all i can say to you without getting banned.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Yes, but in answer to the tC folk who do not understand the problem with that (nor, apparently do they care to), I would like to quote from another of the seemingly endless threads on just how distasteful this is to so many of those firstgen xB owners.

Originally Posted by THE_DON
For all of the tC lovers who also love the new xB, imagine this for a minute...

"Next year they redesign the tC (keeping the same name) and give it a 103 hp Yaris engine, [square off all the lines], and make it smaller.... A LOT of tC owners would be crying foul and demanding that the name be changed... I mean, it's not a 'tC' anymore, right?"
-THE DON
("[ ]" and emphasis added)
See: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...306659#2306659

And yes, Scion can call the xB2 whatever they want. I'm just hoping they understand that it bothers many of their most loyal buyers.

Tom
I missed that post, but it really does put it into perspective for me.
Yaris engine in a tC...... *shudder*
Old 02-14-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok I will make everyone happy and make my mom get the personalized plate XB2 on her xB once she gets it.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't get me wrong. Had i not bought a 1st gen xB i would be totally down with the new gen and not be "whining" as Draxcaliber so politely put it. Of course i would also lack the appreciation for the car's heritage as many people do with other vehicles. Think about the Mustang. How many do you see on the road and how many of those driver's really know what it means to own one? The mustang went through some crazy changes and had similar problems with loyalty. I've talked with alot of young guys who got an xB and complained about not getting the promised gas mileage, never taking into consideration the factors involved in getting good gas mileage. You can drive a hybrid like you think you're a racer and get $hi+ MPG. It's amazing to me how full of it alot of young guys are. Not to say i'm not full of it too. I guess i'm not normally like this. I say a car is a car but when you get involved in something with a cult following there is bound to be some irrational loyalty. If you don't get it you don't get it and that's fine. All i'm saying is that the original xB will always be the only xB and the new ones are something else Toyota decided to call an xB for whatever bs reason.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well all cars change its part of the business and plus the xb is the one thing everyone knows about scion even the people hat ave no clue tc and xa owners speak up. how many times have you been talking to someone that doesnt know about our little cult we have going. And you off handly mention you own a scion, how many people have gotten oh the box or oh that xb or what ever. Honestly the tc sells great the xa not so much but the xb name is what stand outs. Yea it may make a few people mad that its still called what it is but my point is the company does listen to us on our ideas and desiress but they also have to look out for themselves and keep a job. so embrace it our community will grow and people will be jealous of the first gen xb people
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, i apologize for the whining remark, but i was searching everyday waiting for the new models to be released and thought they looked pretty good. as for heritage, scion is is still less than like half a decade old. its only heritage is no pure pricing, and personalization. i have never seen an add bragging about their mpg.

do all scions have to be front-wheel drive? do they all have to have 4 cyl engines? will the transmission chioces always be a 4 spd auto and a 5 spd manual?

one of the goals of scion was to have a changing model line up of cars and each one has had a pretty set niche.
the xb was absolute stand out in a crowd car with its extremely boxy shape. the new xb is still boxy, but now it has some body lines, fender flares and some curves. some xb owners have been working the engine when they are carrying a group of people, now you have a bigger more powerful engine that can benefit from all the big power upgrades made for the tc's engines, now modified to fit the engine bay of the next gen xb.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB was, obviously, a standout product that got a tremendous amount of recognition for Scion. When it comes down to the sole reason for calling the new tC station wagon "xB," it is to trade on the recognition factor of the original. This is especially true with Scion corporate types admitting that they are setting the xD as the follow-on for the "City Car" niche, not the nextgen xB.

It was purely a business decision for Scion to trade on the xB name, what they missed was just how protective and possessive the "cult following" of the xB was. They didn't expect us to object, I guess.

Maybe that was just one of the questions they forgot to ask us when they were deciding what to change, just like they totally forgot to ask what NOT to change.

Its over, we will live with it, but we will never be quite as comfortable with the company.

We are still Scion people, we still want the company to succeed, and we still like what they represent. The just screwed up in a small way.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 AM

Well said, Tom. But I think Scion screwed up BIG time. Cos they betrayed a UUV into a SUV...and lost all uniqueness about the car along the way. Personally, it's beyond disappointment for me. Only if they rolled out something like the Japanese bB in the future will I be impressed again. Man...I wish I had enough money to buy another xB1.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmm... just how does the genII 'box size up against the PT-loser or the HHR? I mean length-width-hight and weight?

I wonder if it isn't midway between the 'Classic and the Loser-cruizers size...

just my wunderings is all
Old 02-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Overall Length
xB 155.3
xB2 167.3
PT 168.9
HHR 176.2

Overall Width
xB 66.5
xB2 69.3
PT 67.1
HHR 69.1

Overall Height
xB 64.6
xB2 63
PT 63
HHR 63.1

Wheelbase
xB 98.4
xB2 102.4
PT 103
HHR 103.5

Weight
xB 2395
xB2 3100
PT 3031
HHR 3155

Enjoy.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I am glad the xB lives on regardless of wether I like the new design. Just think--in twenty years there will be a throwback version like they have done with the Mustang and Charger. I even think the HHR was a throwback to an earlier Suburban design.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thnx tom.....
I will keep what I have
Old 02-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure the HHR was a throwback to the 1948 Suburban - GM said so. It's just a 3/4 scale model is all.

Here are some pics I posted up on ScionLife 08-16-05 when we last discussed that.

Tom
Old 02-14-2007, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks Tomas--I was pretty sure it was a throwback to a Suburban.............
Old 02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the automatic xb 1g weighs 2395 lbs? Is that a standard manual tranny? The new xb 2g weight is for the automatic, which should be heavier due to the big sync auto tranny (lots of extra pieces for this type of auto).