Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Just got my xB and have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just got my xB and have a question.

Just got my Black Sand Pearl xB 2 days ago. It has 118 miles on it.

I LOVE it!

Question though... My engine seems to run a little hot.. I dont know if thats because its a new engine breaking in.. or if its just something these engines do?.. My guage seems to read fine though.. it reads a little under midway. when i get out of my car and I walk beside it, it seems to be real hot.. most of the heat is coming from the sides of the hood.. I put my hand in the middle of the hood where the headers are.. and it wasnt hot at all.

Also when you turn the key to start it... does it start up really easy or does the engine have to try to turn over once or twice? mine starts up easy but it does have a little hickup before it turns over. again dont know if its because its such a new engine or what? it just seems like since its new it should do everything perfect...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 PM
SL Member

Default Running hot

Funny you should mention that My wife said the same thing about my XB......Says that the Hood feels really hot...
Old 07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so maybe it just runs hot huh? so its not just me.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its a real concern take it to the dealer. They can hook up a diagnostic scanner and check the ECT sensor and tell you how hot the system is before and after the thermostate has opened and closed. More than likely everything is just fine but when in doubt better be safe than sorry.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the scion engines run a little hot
I put a live data scanner and the fan turn on on 205f
to hot for me. Im gone put a 180f thermostat
just my .02 cents
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I doubt the heat is a concern if the temp gauge isn't showing it's running hot. The exhaust is in the front-middle of the engine bay so I'm sure that creates more heat in that area.

As for the starting, I think that's just a Toyota thing. Every Toyota I've been in does that.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok good.. Thanks guys i feel much better now. If it gets any worse or anyhting I will take it into the dealer... I wanted to hear from other xB owners before i took it into the dealer for no reason.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member

Mine ran like that for the first 500-600 miles, especially noticed the "smell" when I pulled in the garage. At 1300 miles, not very noticable now.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 PM
SL Member

Default smell

They coat parts for that long boat ride...Salt water can eat-up the metal
Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by masafina
just my .02 cents
Do you know what all the effects of putting a 180 thermostat would be? I can't comment specifically on Scion drivetrains, but I'm just asking because sometimes drivetrains are calibrated to expect a certain operating temp and when they don't get it they may do unwanted things. Like the computer might be running a different fuel/air mixture at lower temps or the trans may be programmed not to engage the locking torque converter below a certain temp.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Gen1 Auto is programed to stay in 3rd Gear untill the Catalytic Converters get hot...then when they reach a certain temp they will shift into 4th...

That's done for fuel economy...I haven't noticed that in my Gen2...

The Factory match the Thermostat to work with the ECU/Transmission etc....a lower temp Thermo will serve no other purpose than to delay the engine's ability to get up to optimum operating temp....you'll eventually get more carbon build-up in the Valvetrain, also, your Oil will not reach viscosity as quickly as Scion wanted it to....

Personally, I wouldn't touch the thermostat...
Old 07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by masafina
just my .02 cents
I haven't checked the gen 2 with my Scangauge yet to see exactly what it's running at but I'm sure it's probably the same as the gen 1 and most other engines.

They come with 180 degree thermostats. The fan and thermostat are completely separate items with separate functions. The thermostat controls the flow of coolant and most open around 180 degrees to keep the engine stable at that temp. My XB ran at 182 degrees most of the time while it was moving. When a vehicle stops moving and there's no airflow through the radiator the temperature begins to climb. The thermostat is already open so there's nothing it can do. There is a temperature sensor/monitor that turns the fan on at 205 degrees to move air through the radiator so the engine doesn't overheat.

If you want the car to run cooler, you'll need a 160 degree thermostat. The car will still go up to 205 degrees when you are sitting still.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xb27
The Gen1 Auto is programed to stay in 3rd Gear untill the Catalytic Converters get hot...then when they reach a certain temp they will shift into 4th...

That's done for fuel economy...I haven't noticed that in my Gen2...
Close...it is actually done for emissions; the catalytic converter is not effective below its operating temp range (several hundred degrees).

I would also not touch the thermostat. The engine and computer are designed to work at certain temps, and running cooler will mess with a lot of things.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Gen1 Auto is programed to stay in 3rd Gear untill the Catalytic Converters get hot...then when they reach a certain temp they will shift into 4th......
There is only one converter, and its temperature has nothing to do with the shifting. The transmission will not shift into top gear until the blue coolant light goes out, which is when the coolant temperature reaches 137F on its way to full operating temperature at 185F.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
When a vehicle stops moving and there's no airflow through the radiator the temperature begins to climb. The thermostat is already open so there's nothing it can do.
Unless it's one of those VWs that has the radiator fan wired so that the fan can actually turn on after the car is parked and the motor has been switched off.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
The Gen1 Auto is programed to stay in 3rd Gear untill the Catalytic Converters get hot...then when they reach a certain temp they will shift into 4th......
There is only one converter, and its temperature has nothing to do with the shifting. .
True, yes, there's only one, I don't know why I typed converterS...
But the gen1 manual specifically says that the tranny stays in 3rd untill the Cat gets up, or close enough, to temperature...
Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know about the shifting but my xB is manual and I live in Puerto Rico
the outside temp is over 100F so I dont need to much heat(I have for free)
Old 07-08-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well Im starting to wonder if mine is starting like the rest of yalls... its kindof bothering me.. someone said it was normal in Toyotas.. but its just weird.. b/c its brand new and im used to driving a honda accord which started perfect every time i ever tried.

toyotas always do this for the life of the car? or only when it is being brokin in? I cranked it today to go to work and it didnt start the first time.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by matt311
well Im starting to wonder if mine is starting like the rest of yalls... its kindof bothering me.. someone said it was normal in Toyotas.. but its just weird.. b/c its brand new and im used to driving a honda accord which started perfect every time i ever tried.

toyotas always do this for the life of the car? or only when it is being brokin in? I cranked it today to go to work and it didnt start the first time.
Not a problem here in that regard.... must be you or all the water your way....
Old 07-08-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so when you start yours it dosnt have any kind of starting noise at all before it starts? it just turns over and starts righ on up?... mine kinna gives a couple "rur rurr's" before it starts up.

Quick Reply: Just got my xB and have a question.