Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Kenwood DNX7100

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Kenwood DNX7100

Does anyone have any experience with this deck?
I know that the D3 is a good system, but the single slot for both NAV and CD is a bit of a turn off.

1. I was wondering if anyone has tried to install this deck?

2. If the steering wheel controls still work?

3. If they tried to install a backup Camera, and how hard that was?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im wondering some of the same things... Im looking for any aftermarket decks that will work with the Ipod hook up and the streering wheel controls.. crutchfield has a few players that will fit perfectly into the slot.. but I dont know if the have the hook ups for the extras in the xB.

Also a few peeps in this forum have installed the backup camera on the xB what they did was take off the rear windshield wiper and installing it in the hole there.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the deck isnt to hard to install at all.

as long as it says it is steering wheel cap. you can use your factory controls you just need to get an interface.

for the backup camera it just plugs in back of the head unit and you need to find the reverse wire and tap into it.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the ipod and aux hook ups on the xB2?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by lunchbx05

as long as it says it is steering wheel cap. you can use your factory controls you just need to get an interface.
Thanks for the reply, but I guess I was not very specific with my original question.

I saw the PAC SWI-JAck Interface for the steering wheel control, but crutchfields "outfit my car" says that it is not compatible. Not sure if it is because the xB is so new, they haven't been able to verify it or not. But the Hand on Research does have Scion as compatible. Just wanted to know if anyone has actually tried this, and can verify that it works. If not then the Kenwood is out and the D3 is in.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rs7qrxR...d&i=127SWIJACK

Originally Posted by lunchbx05
for the backup camera it just plugs in back of the head unit and you need to find the reverse wire and tap into it.
Also the theory of the backup camera I understand, but I was wondering if anyone has taken apart some of the interior trim and what not to run the wire from the liftgate to the dash. And how hard or easy it was to accomplish. I don't want to tear anything apart and then have it be a total mess.

Thanks for your replys, they have been very helpful.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ride_goofy
I saw the PAC SWI-JAck Interface for the steering wheel control, but crutchfields "outfit my car" says that it is not compatible. Not sure if it is because the xB is so new, they haven't been able to verify it or not. But the Hand on Research does have Scion as compatible. Just wanted to know if anyone has actually tried this, and can verify that it works. If not then the Kenwood is out and the D3 is in.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rs7qrxR...d&i=127SWIJACK
I think most of the Crutchfield info is in fact due to the new status of the 08 xB. I ordered a cable to hook up my Parrot 3200LS Bluetooth from them despite the warning when ordering that "this item will NOT work with your car". It does work perfectly with my car.

You could try calling them or checking other places for info. I had no problem finding several places around the internet that made it pretty clear that the Metra harness I was ordering from Crutchfield would work.

I have little doubt that the Kenwood can be made to function exactly as designed in the xB.

For more feedback on this check www.avic411.com in the forums.
Do a search on DNX7100. You will find all kinds of comparison info to the D3. Most seems to favor the Kenwood interestingly.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also the theory of the backup camera I understand, but I was wondering if anyone has taken apart some of the interior trim and what not to run the wire from the liftgate to the dash. And how hard or easy it was to accomplish. I don't want to tear anything apart and then have it be a total mess.

Thanks for your replys, they have been very helpful.
I just did the backup camera install. It was somewhat of a pain. I mounted mine beside the license plate, so I ran the wire through a hole I drilled in the liftgate handle. Fishing the wire through the liftgate was pretty tough in spots, but once you get through the boot at the top and into the headliner, it is pretty easy. Drop down in the C pillar (STAY AWAY FROM THE AIRBAGS!!!) and run it through the thresholds.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
I just did the backup camera install. It was somewhat of a pain. I mounted mine beside the license plate, so I ran the wire through a hole I drilled in the liftgate handle. Fishing the wire through the liftgate was pretty tough in spots, but once you get through the boot at the top and into the headliner, it is pretty easy. Drop down in the C pillar (STAY AWAY FROM THE AIRBAGS!!!) and run it through the thresholds.
Great Thanks for the info.

Was it hard to take the molding and cover off of the C pillar, and the trunk?
Also did you have to remove the headliner at all?

Also couldn't you take the plastic off the back of the liftgate to run the wire, or were you talking about the part next to the window.

I have my xB in Black on order, so I am researching the after market stuff I want to put in now.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Great Thanks for the info.

Was it hard to take the molding and cover off of the C pillar, and the trunk?
Also did you have to remove the headliner at all?

Also couldn't you take the plastic off the back of the liftgate to run the wire, or were you talking about the part next to the window.

I have my xB in Black on order, so I am researching the after market stuff I want to put in now.

Thanks for the info.
The entire interior is all snap in...at least everything i dealt with. I did not remove the C-pillar or the headliner. I unsnapped some of the C pillar, removed the christmas tree fasteners in the back of the head liner, and pulled it down enough to run the wire.

I did take the plastic off the liftgate, but to get from the plastic-covered part up to the boot at the top/center, you have to fish the wire.