Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Moonroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Moonroof problem

This weekend I discovered something with the arrival of nice weather: My moonroof will tilt open to vent, but will not slide back. It has a button for it, and when I push it it looks like it gets into position and tries to slide, but it can't move backward.

The dealer where I bought it isn't a Toyota or Scion dealer, so I don't buy their answer of "it's not supposed to slide back; it's a moonroof not a sunroof".

I don't know how to tell if it's a Webasto or Inalfa roof. Would a Scion dealership be able to tell me what's what? Would the sunroof manufacturer(s) have the car's VIN on file for warranty purposes?

Thanks

Heh, even though I've found a few things wrong or unexpected since buying, I'm still really liking my xb2!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's peculiar. If there's a button for sliding it back, and when you push it, it tries to but stops, then you know something is fishy.

Look around all over the visible parts for your sunroof/moonroof and see if you can find a brand name or model. Check your control panel for it, too. If that yields nothing fruitful, ask a Scion dealership.

There are some Webasto models that only pop open, but I'd imagine they would have a plate in place of a window that looks like it controls the retract feature.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Know what? It doesn't make me feel good to find out in the past 15 minutes that Webasto's "contact us" form doesn't work (the Submit button isn't an active button!) and that Inalfa's website is gone.

=0(
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Perhaps it's neither brand - maybe this will help. Other moonroofers about?

I'll put up a pic as soon as I can, but the control module doesn't look like the Webastos or Inalfas I've seen. It's rubberized, with three buttons under the membrane, with actual words printed on the membrane (open, close, vent) in translucent letters that glow orange along with the rest of the interior gauge lighting. Definitely doesn't *look* non-factory.

I'll get out there this afternoon and try to find more data.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM

OK guys - here is a photo of the controls for the roof. it doesn't look like anything i've seen from Webasto or Inalfa when searching the internet about it...
Attached Thumbnails Moonroof problem-sunroofbuttons.jpg