Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Need feedback ONLY from owners of Tanabe NF210s springs on 2008+ xB.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where are you driving that you need to be SO concerned about road imperfections? It seems like thats what you're most worried about.

For what it's worth, I drove from California to Florida on NFs, loaded with a bunch of stuff in the back. My car rode like a champ the whole way.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtylerx
Where are you driving that you need to be SO concerned about road imperfections? It seems like thats what you're most worried about.
No; just the choppy/jouncy/bouncy ride. That's ALL I'm concerned about.

To describe/define things more... I guess the difference is the size of the road imperfections. I'm not concerned with the impact harshness of pot holes and "bumps". I just don't want to be bounced around all the time due to every little undulation/wave in the road. See the diff?

I want the little road imperfections (little bumps and waves in the road) to be smoothed out more, compared to stock. Significant sized bumps and pot holes can be the same or a little harsher than stock. If the NFs can do that, then that would be awesome.

Does that help clarify? What do you think? Will the NFs deliver for me?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 AM

I said I'd stay out of the spring discussion and I will, but I wanted to bring something else up based on my own experience yesterday.I got my xB almost two months ago, and I hadn't checked the tire air pressure, making the mistake of thinking the dealer would have adjusted it appropriately. Yesterday I noticed the front tires looked low so I checked it. Instead of the 35 front / 32 rear it's supposed to have, it had about 28 psi in all four tires. I was surprised with it that far off that the TPMS light wasn't on. Anyway I corrected that and found the ride changed in how it reacted to small imperfections.I wasn't sure if you test drove a car at the dealer; if the two rentals are the only ones you drove I'd suspect it likely their air pressure may have been off unless you checked that.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM
SL Member

Thanks man... good idea.

Check this out. I was reading reviews yesterday, and this guy thought that even the TRD springs help the ride quality!

http://cars.about.com/od/scion/fr/08_scion_xb.htm

One of the xBs I drove was fitted with a set of sport springs ($250 plus installation) from Toyota Racing Devlopment (TRD). Such springs usually make for a much harsher ride, but in the xB they reduced (but did not entirely quell) the xB's floatiness on uneven roads without adversely affecting ride comfort. In fact, the reduced body motion actually made the ride more comfortable -- which is why I'd recommend the sport springs, even xB buyers who don't fling.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can think this to death.....
Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 AM

Problem with that review or anyone else's is everyone's idea of what is good ride quality is different. When I read "floaty" I think of the kind of ride a (old) Cadillac has, which the xB doesn't have no matter what suspension you put on it, but anyway, removing floatiness would, to some, be a reduction in ride quality, though to the reviewer there it isn't.

If you want to test drive one with the TRD suspension, see if any dealers around you still have a RS 7.0. I don't know how it is everywhere, but in my area many of the dealers have a number of those still on the lots. Test drive that and a standard 2011 and see what you think.

The RS 7.0 does have the TRD suspension doesn't it? If I'm wrong on that, nevermind.