10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New issue of Car and Driver slams the new xB

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...-scion-xb.html
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

After seeing spy shots of the coming second generation xB, I ran out and purchased one of the last 06 xB's around. This article and a recent test drive of an 08 confirmed that I made the right choice.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah good thing... u got my color too lol i wanted to get a PW but they only had BSP so i painted mine
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactly my sentiments.
the xB2 doesn't really innovate.
it just mainstreams.

this is just my opinion.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few of their points are valid... I mean it got a lot bigger when it didn't really need to...

But what was one of the (if not THE) biggest complaints about the first gen? It needed more power. So... Scion put more power in it. And they're complaining about that.

They're also complaining about no performance options available from the dealer. Gee... sorry a brand new model doesn't have all of it's accessories available yet. Yes, the engine is from a tC, but that doesn't mean everything moves right over and is interchangeable. Still some development involved.

The guy sounds like he actually likes it, but the article reads like someone told him to hate it....
Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good or bad i think that the guy is saying what alot of people are saying about the new xb. the car really isnt the next xb... i think that the xb new xb is scion in a sence cause its a toyota designed in the US and made in Japan, the old xb is toyota designed and made in japan just w/ scion badges...
Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree that a little more power would be nice in my 06, but I average 27 mpg in town (worst tank 25, best 33) and can't justify the 22/28 mileage of the new one with the 2.4. I don't drive mine that hard, but when I do, the AT seems to be in the right gear to keep the revs up to move it fairly well.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true i like the was the auto pulls i have a stick but it seems to miss something that the auto has... but the miles per gallon do make up for it in the old xb
Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll definitely agree that the mileage is a huge disappointment just from one generation difference... though it was expected with that drivetrain. But I think the mileage was a strong selling point of the first gen and they lost that now.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That read like the usual blah blah from Car and Driver. The new XB isn't super original and innovative but Scion made changes people asked for and also kept the price low.

Many many people didn't and still don't like the gen 1 XB. So far most people seem to like the new gen 2 XB. More acceptance means more sales.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true, thats why I got the new one. The old one is too square for me
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

they basically summed up thier article with the one picture of the soccer mom loading up the groceries.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

one problem I have with the article is the lack of actual research. the writer stated that there are no performance options available for the 08 xB. He must have failed to see the 8 offerings from TRD via scion.com as well as the prospected factory turbo kit
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

i think he did have a serious biased, but you can tell he really liked the 1st gen xB. But it is the same that people , me included, have been saying. the xB2 does not embody the soul of the 1st gen xB. It is a minivan with a scion badge. Im not sayong I dont like it, but the name plate killed it for me and many others.

And yeah tha pic of the lady and the groceries, exactly what the xB2 is destined fo now that it looks like everything else.

I saw one on the road today, had to double take cause it looked so much like the trailblazer next to it
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone has their reasons. I had my mother get the original xB because I liked the styling (it grew on me) but more importantly it fit her needs well.
It was spacious, had all the basic power features we're accustomed to at a decent price and had good gas mileage. She doesn't need passing power as all her commuting is short distances, lots of stop lights and no highway miles.
I'm getting the xB2 because it has a better engine. Period. If you gave me some of the amenities of the xB2 in the xB1 and with the engine I'd take it in a heartbeat. I like the original xB and like how light it was and unapologetic in being a box on wheels. Since I can't have that, I do the next best thing and get the xB2. It fits my needs. I have a wife and a son. I carry things. I travel a lot of highway miles. I need the larger engine with, if not passing power, at least get-out-of-my-own-way power. In South Florida on I-95 and 595 you can have 18 wheelers barreling your way all the time, you better be able to get the heck out of their way. I have driven my mom's xB on the highway and it's just straining all the time.
To each their own. Buy it for your own reasons and enjoy in good health.
I just wish (some of) the Gen 1 folks would stop their whining and belly aching about how it shouldn't be called an xB blah blah. Get over it, it's here. If it doesn't suit you any longer, find something else to spend your money on.
Peace all...
/flamesuit on
Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Dont get me wrong, wasnt saying anything against drivers/owners, it's just that name.

I still hope we can be a big scion fam
Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure it'll grow on them eventually. At first I thought it was just alright, but now I like it more and more everyday
Old 07-18-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No sweat, I didn't nor do I take anything personally. Especially not something on a public forum not spoken face to face! lol
The thing I see is, xB2 owners compliment xB owners all the time and share in their joy for their vehicles. However, the xB owners seem to have nothing bur criticism for the xB2's. I too share your sentiment, let's all be a big happy family.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 AM
SL Member

I'm willing to bet that the angle of this article is more a "controversial angle" than a slam... as you can easily see the angle of the report; "Did Scion sell out Generation Y for the larger market?" Well, Duh! of course they did.

But what really happened to the Gen 2 xB? If you ask me, which you aren't... but I'll say it anyway; is that Scion inadvertently created a car with classic lines using a brand name's badge. They have created a car that reminds me personally of a mid 40's ganster car... now what kid at heart middle aged, ready for a second childhood, baby boomer can resist that? And what about those Gen Y kids are now older and ready to grow up with their car too (okay, probably not enough)? Maybe Scion should have marketed it as an xE? Well, I think it is because Japanese Generation Y kids wanted something more grown up as well and that the American market had very little to do with this.

There is probably a huge load of other cars in the international market that can fill the void now left for the unusual... the square... the thrilling ride of the old xB. But for my money, Scion built something I like... something with clean lines that is missing in today's car market. Had the xB remained a toaster, I would not be driving one today.

BTW... is the top of the '08 xB intended to look like a two-slice toaster?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberspeed
No sweat, I didn't nor do I take anything personally. Especially not something on a public forum not spoken face to face! lol
The thing I see is, xB2 owners compliment xB owners all the time and share in their joy for their vehicles. However, the xB owners seem to have nothing bur criticism for the xB2's. I too share your sentiment, let's all be a big happy family.
i just made a topic about that subject leave an imput if you like
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...714&highlight=

Quick Reply: New issue of Car and Driver slams the new xB