Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Options for in dash GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 PM

Default Options for in dash GPS

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. Glad to find it.
I have a 2012 XB with the Factory Pioneer ADCP-W12U head unit. I want GPS in dash. Im tired of chasing the TomTom around the car and I dont like the idea of extra stuff stuck to the dash.
What options do I have? Is there a add on for my current head unit or do I need to buy a new unit with the GPS built in?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would this work?

DIY 2014 Navigation unit **FULLY working 6/19** Pandora/Weather/Traffic/ETC... - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

You can occasionally find the the head unit with nav unit on Ebay in the $350 range. I recently saw just a nav unit go for $190. I have both an entune module and a scion module. I actually like the Aha streaming package from the Scion but the Entune navigation is better. Keep in mind, these nav systems are nothing to write home about, don't spend a lot on them. I say $300-400 is about all they are worth. Anyone that pays the $900-1500 for them are suckers.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:17 PM

At the risk of sounding a bit needy. Will this unit cover nav or is the head unit only without the nav module?
2015 Scion Fr s Radio Navigation Nav GPS Receiver PT546 00140 Factory | eBay

Or am I better off just changing out to a aftermarket unit and be done with it?
Pioneer AVIC 5100NEX in Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6 2? WVGA Touchscreen | eBay

My thought with the aftermarket is that everything should be in the box as needed and I should have the option of tech support from pioneer should I get stuck.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitecar
At the risk of sounding a bit needy. Will this unit cover nav or is the head unit only without the nav module?
2015 Scion Fr s Radio Navigation Nav GPS Receiver PT546 00140 Factory | eBay

Or am I better off just changing out to a aftermarket unit and be done with it?
Pioneer AVIC 5100NEX in Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6 2? WVGA Touchscreen | eBay

My thought with the aftermarket is that everything should be in the box as needed and I should have the option of tech support from pioneer should I get stuck.
Aftermarket headunits will require cutting wires or atleast a harness to attach to the Toyota harness. They will probably sound better than the Toyota headunits. Do not know about aftermarket headunit navs, never used one. I'm all for the stock system if you can get it for a descent price. Higher resale value than an after market headunit. Who wants to buy a car with butchered dash and harness? I always knock $1000 if someone put there own stereo in, don't care if they spent $2k on it, their electrical work is still suspect.

No, that is just the radio. The navigation is a separate box that mounts underneath the radio. Most of the Ebay adds claim they have the navigation but if it doesn't have a box at the bottom, it doesn't have. The module is made by Harman and the label can be see if they flip the radio over. Be patient, they do pop up together with a the harness for $300-400 pretty regularly.

Going this route requires the Touch Screen Headunit. A Navunit, A Y-harness that plugs into the nav unit and head unit. A GPS antenna with the Toyota plug ($14 on Ebay) and the mounts to attach the Nav unit to the radio. If you can't find the mounts, velcro or fabbing some out of plastic or wood would work. Install is plug and play, my 2015 XB took 15 min to install.

This is the nav module attached to a radio with the Y harness.
Attached Thumbnails Options for in dash GPS-img_1440.jpeg  

Last edited by gedster314; 01-13-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were in the Ventura Ca area, I would happly meet up and show you the nav system and show you the differences between the Scion and Entune Nav units with a Scion headunit.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres one with nav. Still needs the harness and GPS antenna.

2013 2015 Scion Fr s Am FM CD Player Radio LKQ | eBay
Old 01-15-2016, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO the biggest reason to consider the OEM unit is that an aftermarket unit actually lowers the value of your car, where adding OEM navigation increases it. I have the 2015 unit and nav module and it was totally worth it (though if I could do it again I would have got the Toyota Entune nav module instead of the Scion Aha module).
Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gedster314
Aftermarket headunits will require cutting wires or atleast a harness to attach to the Toyota harness. They will probably sound better than the Toyota headunits. Do not know about aftermarket headunit navs, never used one. I'm all for the stock system if you can get it for a descent price. Higher resale value than an after market headunit. Who wants to buy a car with butchered dash and harness? I always knock $1000 if someone put there own stereo in, don't care if they spent $2k on it, their electrical work is still suspect.
Beautifully put. I am the same way - never went after market on any of my cars.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by gedster314
Heres one with nav. Still needs the harness and GPS antenna.

2013 2015 Scion Fr s Am FM CD Player Radio LKQ | eBay
Thank you. I see the difference now. It looks like most of the auctions say NAV however the add on isnt actually there. Can I order the wiring harness and antenna from scion or do I need to search it out on eBay?
We asked the dealership about simply upgrading the vehicle to this system. Their reply was that if the vehicle didnt come from "port" with the GPS chip installed, then it cant be added. I dont understand their response. Why wouldnt they want to install the other system or at least sell it?
Old 01-19-2016, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part numbers are in the FT86 thread. For gps antenna

Toyota Car Navigation Units GPS Antenna | eBay

On the xb the gps antenna goes on top the hvac/filter assembly behind the glove box. I ran mine behind the glove box, up the door seal, behind the A-pillar cover and the antenna in the corner of the windshield. I have a carpet dashmat so the antenna is hidden. I wanted a clear shot of open sky.

Your headunit will not initially read the gps data from the antenna till the car moves 50 to 100 feet. I tell you this I played with my connections and thought I had bad antenna till I went for a drive.

I hear the harness is $50. May want to message the seller and see if they still have the harness.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member

Just be sure it's Appleplay compatible.