Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Police Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 PM
SL Member

Default Police Magnet

While drivng to Syracuse NY they tryed to get me at least 5 times on RT 17....This road is just swarming with Locals and state Police 65 and drops to 55 1 mile later.......Thank God for my RX65.........And WIDE rear view mirror
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you made it through alright. Good work!! :D
Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

upstate ny sucks for that very reason - the cops there are just trying to earn money. you may be doing 70, with kids in your car, but you can stay in a single lane, not race around lane to lane, etc, and they'll pull over and give you a ticket like you committed the worst crime ever.

=/

when i go upstate i keep it at 55-60 the entire time, regardless of the speeds. and i watch cars pass me at 70 nowadays... it really sucks. in nyc, you can be doing 80 and you wouldn't get pulled over............... but up in the mountains, where you're probably the only car on the road, they want to pull you over and hassle you while you're simply driving your wife and kids home after a long day by the lake.......??????? it's really fuct up.

/ rant
Old 05-20-2008, 04:41 PM
SL Member

Default police magnet

That RT 17 which I think starts in Orange County really stinks.........Orange County is Copland........But even they get tickets........This one female Officer was a half mile back hitting me with Radar.......Next time I'll take the long way.....Albany to Syracuse 2 things I always bring on trips......GPS + RX65 RD
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
when i go upstate i keep it at 55-60 the entire time, regardless of the speeds. and i watch cars pass me at 70 nowadays... it really sucks.
Look on the bright side, you're saving gas.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
SL Member

Default magnet

Got a point there........Just hit 132.00......will be 5.00 a gallon soon....
Old 05-21-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got 2 tickets in 3 days.. talk about cop magnet..
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...another reason we take the Camry on road trips. I remember coming back from our last vacation, getting on the freeway behind a sportier car (don't recall make/model) & following it for about 25-30min until traffic started getting thick. A CHP flies past us (I didn't even have a chance to slow down) and pulls over the other car. I'm sure if I was in the xB, I would have gotten nailed.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:24 PM
SL Member

Default Magnet

Because there is a better chance of making the ticket stick........The judge will see a sport car People buy sports cars because they want to move......I have this feeling that our scions look very sporty................And fast
Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM

everytime I go to rochester on RT 17 its always swarming with state troopers. you gotta becareful driving up there.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:42 PM
SL Member

Default 17

A friend of mine was in the court-House up there and it was packed with people....I will not use that RT again I'll do the longer Albany track or Penn and head North....Like I said.........She shadowed me foe at least 1.5 miles......thank god for my RX65.........And wanted me to hit 56MPH.....
Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excuse my ignorance but what brand is the RX65 and do you have any problems with it? Also where did you get the wide rear view mirror.

God bless
John
Old 05-22-2008, 08:09 PM
SL Member

Default Magnet

The RD is Beltronics.......Never a problem..........But if they use POP (instant on ) your dead meat You can pick it up if they hit another car.........so don't be the rabbit You can find the mirror on Ebay(clip-on).Don,t get convex type....Actually I have,nt been using the RD for a while..........But I will now Don't get mirror super wide..........
Old 05-23-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im from upstate ny, must be you guys just cant drive in towns i do 5 over and everywhere else i do 8-10mph over all the time and i have never gotten a speeding ticket.... You just have to pay attention and keep someone faster in front of you and if u say it is cause i dont drive, i do, i am out of state 6 months out of the year i put 22,000 miles on my xb in 6 months. i never do near the speed limit. you just have to keep your eyes open and not whipping between lanes plus they are gonna pull you over if u are going over the speed limit with the car packed. think about it you have the possiblity of much more distractions. you are much more dangerous at 70 in a 55 with a car full of people then you are doing 77 in a 55 by yourself.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:25 AM
SL Member

Default magnet

Have you ever driven on 17???Well I drove in the middle of the day and there was at least 1mile or more between cars......Hills....turns.......Dead Deer.........Kind of like the Hills Have Eyes Trust Me!!All the police do is give tickets...They live for this I also do 70+ upstate.......But you won't catch me doing it on 17.......Hell! You won't even see me on 17
Old 05-23-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup that i have many times never been bothered.....
Old 05-23-2008, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member

Some thoughts...

I'm originally from downstate (southern Westchester county), still have family down there, and have been driving Rt17 between Binghamton and Rockland cty for over 20 years (several times each year). Knock wood, have never gotten a ticket there and I have not owned a radar detector in 15 years.

Yes, there is a fair amount of cop coverage on 17. Having said that... Don't drive like a shumck and the cops won't bother you. I've long learned all the regular hiding spots though, but in the 55 zones if you keep it at 65 to 68 they will not bother you. In 65 zones, I regularly have my cruise control set at 75 and never get bothered. Go 15mph+ over the limit and you can pretty much guarantee they will want to give you a ticket.

Just drove Rt17 from I490 south of Rochester to Binghamton this Tuesday, most of the way with cruise control set at 77 in the 65 zones... staties never bothered me.

Have a radar detector and stomp on your brakes when you get hit with instant on, the cops will see the sudden drop in speed and quickly figure out you have a radar detector.... and they do enjoy giving tickets to folks with radar detectors. Don't rely on the radar detector to do the work for you...use your eyes.. predict were the cops may be hiding and back it off a few mph at those spots.

FWIW, I have not noticed any extra or different attention to my xB from local or state police since I got my xB last September (9,250 miles so far) than other cars I have owned, but my xB is not heavily moded (not very low, no large/flashy wheels, no front window tint, no grpahics etc).
Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 PM
SL Member

Default magnet

Some people are lucky in love.......Maybe you are lucky with the Ticket Gods......I'm not trying to be a wise guy....But I never speed My RD was in Moth-***** for 2 years.........The only reason I took with me was on the advice of a policeman.....Who happens to live in Liberty....I would never keep th RD in plain view I still think that the XB looks like a sports car Allstate has it as Sports Wagon and my insurance is the same as TC.......No! I won't sell my car Love my Baby
Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: magnet

Originally Posted by postman
Some people are lucky in love.......Maybe you are lucky with the Ticket Gods......I'm not trying to be a wise guy....But I never speed My RD was in Moth-***** for 2 years.........The only reason I took with me was on the advice of a policeman.....Who happens to live in Liberty....I would never keep th RD in plain view I still think that the XB looks like a sports car Allstate has it as Sports Wagon and my insurance is the same as TC.......No! I won't sell my car Love my Baby
Never? Really????

I understand your point. I was just trying to be realistic in my post.... everywhere I drive (and have driven over a wide part of this country) the vast majority of people drive anywhere from 5 to 10 mph (sometimes more) over the posted limits (this of course assumes the conditions are good of course)... I'm not championing excessive speeding -but moving along at the flow of traffic - or maybe just a couple mph more - in which case (in my expereince) as long as you are driving in a safe manner (keeping right except to pass, not blocking the passing lane, not tailgating, etc etc) and your car is safe , the good officers of the law are going to leave you be. If you do that, in my experience a radar detector is unnecessary. I also use the cruise control (when i safely can) to keep my speed from inadvertantly creeping up - that alone has probably saved me from getting several tickets over the years.

Nahh... I don't consider myself lucky... I just try to drive as smart and safe as I can.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:15 PM
SL Member

Default magnet

Your right man.........I would'nt want you to think I'm a speed demon....I only had it that day on my friends advice..........I would never use it for cat and mouse games.... Kind of like a kid with a toy........Amusement We all need a little luck Sooner or later.............................P.S. I really liked Syracuse.......

Quick Reply: Police Magnet