Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Pure Pricing still leves room for haggling

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Pure Pricing still leves room for haggling

Even with their pure pricing it still paid to shop around. I planned on getting the extended warranty, my dealer of choice was $300 more. I told him thank you but I would be buying my XB from the other dealer. Needless to say the out the door price was $300 less. They still don't want you going somewhere else.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know what is sad? Its people who will spend alot of time with a sales person at one dealership and get all the info they want about a car take test drives with that person and end up buying somewhere else to save a few hundred bucks. I know this may sound lame but did that salesman who spent all that time with you get anything No!. The place you bought at gets an easy sell with very little time invested. I am not saying that is what happened in your case but it happens all the time. People will shop at a dealer that they know has a great reputation and service to find what it is they want and the moment they can save a hundred bucks or so they jump ship and buy at the not so good dealership. People have no loyalty which is sad it seems good service and experainced sales people are no longer needed if you can save a buck. The funny thing is most of the time they end up feeling riped of on their trade in or end up not happy with the salesman because they only care about the sale and not the customers needs after the sale.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
SL Member

Thats exactly what I did. I went to the "friendly" dealership and test drove the xB about 3 times with the "friendly" sales guy. Then when it was time to buy I went to the "gives the best price" dealership. Few hundred dollars is good money to me. As for the friendly sales guy, screw him and his "no-haggle" dealership. Welcome to reality.

2008XB, you are a nice guy who has answered a few questions of mine here before. But the fact is we as customers need to look out for ourselves. Dealerships that are friendly AND give you a good price for your trade-in or whatever are the ones that win. Just giving good service is only part of it. the bottom line is a major part too. I'm absolutely sure you already know this. But please, I'm so tired of salesmen claiming that just because you spent some of your time with me that I owe you something. I owe you nothing, and if you can't deliver on ALL fronts including service and price then I am going to choose which is more important to me and go to that place.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pufbox, you are exactly right, why should we expect quality people to get paid for their service. Why should we care about service or integrity. Why should we care about professionalism...

let's get real, the problem with your concept is you are doing the same thing you are complaining about with the salesman. It is all about you. What can you get, how can I save a few bucks... Honestly whether it is the car industry or customer service at home depot, that attitude pays for cheap minimum wage inexperienced help. So that is what we end up getting. Craftsmanship, quality, service and any other valuable services are all going by the wayside because people highest priority is what can they get immediately....

I agree we should be cautious when buying a car, but when it comes to pure price and saving a few hundred dollars on a 16k dollar car it becomes being penny wise and dollars foolish
Old 07-04-2007, 04:00 PM
SL Member

Did I say not to care about service or integrity? Maybe you should fully read what i wrote.

I made two points, let me lay them out here for you:

1) Having good service is not EVERYTHING. If your sales manager can't back up your good service with good trade-in value, etc then you are losing out because of your support staff. I am looking at the whole picture, not just focusing on one aspect.

2) Which leads me to my second point. Just because I take a test drive does not mean I'm your best friend. I don't "owe" it to you to buy the car from you. Many salesmen think that just because they gave me a little bit of their time I automatically have to buy from them. Like it's some unwritten rule. No, smart shoppers will shop around. Want to know what $200.00 is to me. a braces payment for my son, two weeks worth of food shopping, taking my wife on our one weekend getaway this year. So please don't come on here and tell me how $200.00 will affect my financial situation, cause it's really none of your business.

and I think you forgot the one most important rule of ANY business, YES it is all about ME.. the customer.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read what YOU wrote.

You test drove 3 times
"Screw him"

The bottom line is much farther down than you think. Again, it seems to be a penny wise and dollar foolish especially when you look beyond yourself.

So you go and spend 3 different times with the nice salesman, he apparently is helpful, not trying to cheat you by making pricing simple and your response is "screw him"

Did I make a statement about your specific financial situation? NO.
actually you made it everyones business by posting, that is what a forum is. I also never said anything about your specific financial situation you are the one who posted that and then tells me that it is none of my business.

Is it all about you? If that's what you choose to believe, than that is your choice. It seems I view life a little differently
Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XBFred Thank you very much for your view on this. I have to say there are some people out there that understand what it means to pay a little more for great service and knowalage. Some people think salesman make a fortune on ever car they sell truth be it alot of time a new car sell means $100.00 in the pocket of the salesman. There are other bonous programs to help out but we don't always make as much as some people think. So next time your at work trying to make a living to support your family how would you like know you worked for free that day because somebody wasted your time. I truly feel that great customer service , knowalage and honesty is worth every penny.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I come from it a little different end in some ways. I buy a new car about every year and a half and spend about 6 months researching what I want.

I really can't stand getting the unprofessional guy who knows nothing other than the phrase, "what would it take for you to buy it now" I am really tired of that and really want to see more professionals when I am spending 10,20 or 30 thousand dollars

Honestly, this was my first Scion so I am not sure if this is typical, but it was the best and easiest car buying experience I have had. I have purchased over 15 vehicles from dealers averaging 1 a year between me and my wife.

In general I have spent way too much money on "cheaper" items, fixes and plans and as I get older I want to see craftsmanship, quality, professionalism and for things to work right.

I had the best dealer experience at Tustin Scion. I will be buying there again. Other than my car wash issue they have been top notch and even a parts guy called and followed up on some parts I was interested in. If this continues I will only buy my Toyotas and Scions from them. Irene was an excellent salesperson also
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love hearing that. I really feel When I am with a customer I am not a salesman but a consultant. I want to answer all questions and show the cars that meet their needs. My job is to give the buyer all the info they want and need so they can make a wise buy. I have never tried to push a car on a buyer and treat them they way I would expect to be treated. I have been a ford master tech. for the 13 years and sold ford for 1.8 years and have been with toyota for about 15 months. Working for toyota has been the best move for me and the stories I hear from my customers obout their older toyotas is awasome. I guess I am not in the norm when it comes to car sales but it works great for me and I get a lot of repeat customers and referals. So yes I too feel it is important to know your product and treat the customer with the up most respect and let the car sell its self.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tend to agree with Pufbox. "Screw the salesmen" was a bit harsh, but he's right.

I got about 2.3k more from a different dealer on my trade-in. You might be a damn good salesman but you better hope your buddies in the financial department are as well, otherwise you'll lose sales to the more savvy.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ZLOG, here is the difference. $2300 is not the difference between being a professional or not, that is someone trying to rip you off. Professionals expect to be paid for presenting quality work and value, rip off artists expect to be given something for nothing.
Again, as a percentage of the overall purchase that is considerably higher than 2-300 hundred dollars.

Again, I am not saying give away money, pay whatever anyone asks, or let someone take advantage of you.

I am also not saying because you take a test drive you owe anyone anything. I drive more cars than you could imagine trying to make my decisions. I am really into cars.
What I am saying is that in any profession quality people deserve quality pay and if we expect to deal with professionals maybe we should consider that when making a decision over a couple hundred dollars.

Again, this is my opinion and different people have different views.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 PM

I did buy from the dealer that spent the most time with me, and who will hopefully give me better service, It was more of a bluff that I would go to a different dealer knowing that they would come down in the price. I have never paid MSRP for any car and was not going to start now.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got to question that. They as a dealer are not allowed to come down on the posted price. That is what the pure price is all about. If they did by chance do that for you they have broken the scion rules and could get in big trouble with scion/toyota
Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 AM

Its simple they gave me more for my trade-in
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If they negoitated on the trade in price it is borderline breaking the scion pure price rules. Trade in is also to be pure price so to speak. You are really not to dicker on the trade with the customer per scion. I know it happens and if it works for the customer thats great #1 factor make you happy and get you that car you want. Putting all that crap behind us I am glad you feel you got a good deal and really happy you are part of the Scion/Toyota family. Enjoy your new ride and may it be the best car you have ever owned.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All that matters is where you service your car. There may be a nice chunk initially for a salesman when you buy the car, but in general if you are in the sales deptment for the long haul, your not going to be the most honest of people. For this reason I purchase cars from the cheapest bidder. However, when it comes to servicing, where I will see the same people every 5000 miles, I value honestly, crediability and integrity much more than a bargin.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I worked for AutoNation (nation's largest retailer) in their IT dept. good God what a horror! I have worked for large and small dealerships for a while, all across the country. 99% of all salespeople I encountered were sleazeballs and I know from hearing the stories behind the curtains from the horse's mouth, all brands. So sick of the industry that I refuse to ever work for it again.
I look at buying a car like I do banking. I haven't dealt with a teller since probably before the year 2000. For cars if I could buy straight off the internet I would. I usually print out my research, walk in and say this is what I want. The salesman did no work. I might as well go straight in and talk to the F&I folks.
I also believe that the service dept. is what matters most. Here is where I want the training to go to, here is where I want the "quality" folks. Turnover in salespeople, don't care, turnover in mechanics, I very much care.
By the way, I have ALWAYS spent my money where I see fit, and usually have paid more when I feel comfortable with the support infrastructure. I have knowingly and gladly paid more to "support" a good dealership. In the long run those few hundred dollars TO ME are better invested in supporting said good dealership and establishing a rapport. I have taken the tech that worked on my bike/car out to lunch. Just about every time, I insisted that they accept at the very least a free soda/water from me.
I know all about thankless work, I'm in IT! All is well, not a peep, stuff goes wrong and all of a sudden you're in high demand.
Sorry to say, and this may sound like I'm being an a$$hole, but I think salespeople are a thing of the past. Get a new skill. I can sell too, I have. Quite good at it actually. I learn my product well and go from there. I just couldn't do it for a living because I don't want to be constantly trying to gangbang a person who just wants a product. Salesperson has their turn, F&I gets sloppy seconds, so on and so forth...
If you're a good and honest salesperson, great. I just really have no need for you, and I'm not sorry about that at all, not in the least bit. I have access to information and use it well.

/off soapbox
Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Arizona_Scion
I planned on getting the extended warranty, my dealer of choice was $300 more.
I have never paid MSRP for any car and was not going to start now.
Its simple they gave me more for my trade-in
Did they discount the car? Do they charge less for the same warranties? Or did the used car manager just value your trade more at one place?

And just out of curiosity, how much of your time did you spend to save $300?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Pure Pricing still leves room for haggling

Even with their pure pricing it still paid to shop around. I planned on getting the extended warranty, my dealer of choice was $300 more. I told him thank you but I would be buying my XB from the other dealer. Needless to say the out the door price was $300 less. They still don't want you going somewhere else.
i don't get it -- where in this statement does it say you haggled for less?
i didn't want to bother reading the following posts of all salesmen are a$$wholes and scum...

you paid the posted price for your Scion
you paid the posted price for your extended warranty

you didn't haggle on any of those parts
all you did was be an educated consumer and price compared
Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since we are shopping for economy cars, I think that saving the $300 or more is definitely worth choosing the cheaper dealership. Almost -ALL- dealerships find a way of making you bend over and take your money outta ur a$$ so just because the salesman is nice doesn't mean that they're going to be nice to you when it comes to pay for the car.

I went to the largest toyota dealer in NYC (Toyota of manhattan) and I bought my xB with a debit card - I paid for it with cash on the spot. but because of the no haggle policy, they didnt give me jack $hit in terms of "a good deal." I have heard of some scion dealers throwing in floor mats or the trunk net or small items like that but the dealer didn't do jack for me.

That's why i bought my car with no options and purchased everything and installed everything myself afterwards. When I (and im only speaking for myself) look for a cheap car, i dont care how nice the people are or how bad they are because regardless, you're gonna be robbed. That's why i paid for my xB in cash and left the dealer with my car when it came in. F the niceness - they're gonna rob you one way or another.

That's like saying you would rather get mugged by a nice dude in a suit as opposed to a thug. the point of it is that he's still gonna get away with your money! you, the car buyer that did their homework, are just a number in their books.

The fact that I handed over like $16,700 (xb + taxes, etc) in a matter of seconds didn't make them think "oh yeah, maybe we should give this dude a $50 item for free because he just gave us so much money..." I'm not asking for the world, but a small gesture of appreciation would have made a world of difference.

AND TO TOP IT ALL F'IN OFF - MY xB DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A FULL TANK OF GAS WHEN I GOT IT WITH 1 MILE ON THE ODO!!!!!!!!!

As for getting work done to my box, I'm going to start taking it to a local mechanic as opposed to the stinkin' rich dealership which overcharges. I'd rather give my $ to a humble mechanic that does good work and needs the cash as opposed to a cash cow.

/ vent. lolololllll

Quick Reply: Pure Pricing still leves room for haggling