Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Push button start journey (update)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Push button start journey (update)

2/14/2010. So as of now i have paused on this mod. Greg S directions were actually spot on. however i was pressed for time and decided i need my car to start more than anything. so when it warms up i wil come back to it. and btw if ur gauges and speedometer ever go out check the fuses in teh back right. meter and ign 7.5a. i had mine up one spot to far. stupppppid

So follow the pictures. its currently 244 am started at 10

Following this thread
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=127516&page=4
using this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

After finaly having the right butt connects. and using the wiring diagram i got it all set. but nothing happnes....the car will start if I use the key no problem so thats ok. but im OBV missing something. most likely the wrong wires. and honestly i dont know the names of each wire i was just using the diagram on page 2 of that thread and it worked for him. so idk what to do. im tired and frusturated a 30 min job took 4 hours and still failed.

Heres photos.
for the record the red wire which is led power basically. turns on when connected to the fat grey wire. none of the other three i tried. though it just occurred to me maybe to but the blue and the red together and tie into that grey wire and leave the other blue for the other fat wire. the white one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2300055...7625656951730/

and part 2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2300055...7625656966686/

somehow my photo sets were separated idk.
to anyone that can help me before 10AM EST. that woudl be great. im just so stumped i want to beat things. i even used a butterknife...

Last edited by DJ_FroZone; 02-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
i even used a butterknife...
That's for hot-wiring, not push button start.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those install instructions are horrible.

It looks like you don't have the first blue hooked up, which it definitely needs. I think the two blue wires are supposed to be put in line on the starter line. Basically cutting the starter line with one blue going toward the key and the other going toward the starter. I'm not a hundred percent on this without having a meter and the unit in my hands though to test it out.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Points for trying. But does anyone have a writing diagram
Old 12-24-2010, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which is the starter again
Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which is the starter again

Not sure, I don't have a schematic so i would have to test the lines to figure out which one is what. If I get time tomorrow I will try to test them and see. If you have a voltmeter it is easy to see which is the starter wire. It'll be the wire which has power only when you turn the key to the crank position.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

I have the whole scion wire manual on my computer but am way to lazy to upload it somewhere for you.

Just search for it somewhere
Old 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please test em! i have no such voltmeter thing. and frizz if you so happen to just randomy find them on your comp. you know which i need!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please test em! i have no such voltmeter thing. and frizz if you so happen to just randomy find them on your comp. you know which i need!
If you want to work around cars, you need a DMM (Digital Multimeter). Not even an expensive one. $20 will buy you a decent DMM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where could i find one? advance auto parts was like...what??
Old 12-24-2010, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cancel that found one. Gonna try later
Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok using the voltmeter. i found the 2nd white one. which i hadn';t touched. gets power when the key is turned. and obv the igntion swith. i took the blue wires and attached them to that. like greg said. one blue wire to both so the power will run through the box. sadly nothing happened. and actually the car wouldn't start. so that has to be the wrong path. im going to try the first starter and see how that works. if not then its ignition time. which i feel shouldn't work
Old 12-24-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tried running the other starter to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails Push button start journey (update)-img_20101224_133655.jpg  
Old 12-24-2010, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok another update. tried it with the igntion wire. dash didn't light up nor did the button light. car would turn over. so idk what to do. is their a way i can test to see if the relay box and what not are DOA? btw i should buy stock in 3m butt connectors.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scionlife.org

I doubt that the ignition wire colors have changes so you can use the tc, xb1, or xa manual.

I'm gunna hazard a guess and say you blew a fuse.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ ichecked the fuses they are all set. so im going to chalk it up to this box being DOA.i can hear something click in the box a few times but no more. unless someone else has an idea. i think im just going to order another one from a diff seller. see how that goes.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For testing the relay box you can test the outputs with the DMM you have and see which wires get power when you push the button. I would assume that the red wire is the power in since that is the one that lets the led light up. Does the car still work with the key? If so you just need the pushbutton to work the starter. This is only designed to power the starter line(s) so you have to have the key in the on position to make it work.

Ok I re-looked at the wonderful instructions. It looks like the red and first blue go to the ignition line, the one that turns on when the key is in the "on" position and stays on during the crank cycle and the second blue goes to the starter line, the one that only turns on when you are cranking the engine. If you have two starter lines, as was mentioned in the other post, you will need a relay to power the second starter line as both lines need power when the engine is cranking.

Looking over both the post and instructions the hook up should be red and first blue on the relay to the gray wire in the ignition harness. Then second blue needs to power another relay and teh small wite wire in the ignition harness. The second relay will be used to power the thick white wire on the bottom left of the ignition harness. A stardard SPDT relay will have the numerical marking of 85, 86, 87, 87a, & 30. In this application you will be hooking 85 to ground, 86 and 87 to the ignition line, same as the red and first blue, and 30 will go to the thick white wire for the second starter.

All of this is assuming that there are two starter lines, as was shown in the other post, and that I figured out the instructions correctly. You'll need to test everything to double check it first.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ crazy amount of instructions. but ok. i was thinking that if this set had a built in relay box i wouldn't need another. but thats ok i can go get another. i disconneted it all and just but connected the wires till i figure it all out.

now when i used my voltmeter
the first starter. (Bottom left. didn't show up on any volts. so maybe its a backup??
so buy another relay.
REd and first blue inline with ignition wire

second blue wire into relay not sure where.
take that lil white wire and do what with it?
im confused on how the starter lines go into this relay box. its also really late i will try and decipher in the morning.

merry christmas

Last edited by DJ_FroZone; 12-25-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read this:tC DIY push button start
Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got ya. well im going to get another relay box. some more wire and can someone explain how to use those inline splices? im so sick of butt connectors.

Quick Reply: Push button start journey (update)