Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

seatbelt chimes....how to disable

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 AM

Default seatbelt chimes....how to disable

Anyone know how to disable the unlatched seatbelt chimes? What about the flashing warning light? Dont say fasten the seatbelt...... I like to live on the wild side I suppose.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 AM
SL Member

don't want to sound like a stick in the mud but...

http://www.buckleupsc.com/seat_belt_law.asp

you're breaking the law if you don't
Old 08-29-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, there is a very VERY easy way to do this...

just get a male end of a seat belt, and leave it in the female end all the time.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder if leaving the male end in the female all the time would shut my wife up. nah
Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ LOL, love it.

But yea man, the chime is there for a reason. To tell you to buckle that crap .

Obviously there's some wiring on the seat belt that probably just pushes a button that tells the car the seat belt is on.... find that wire, test to see how it changes when you plug in the belt (w/ a multimeter) and see if you need to just permanently ground that wire or give it a permanent + voltage. That'll shut up your chime.

But i do not endorse this, wear your seat belt. Those airbags will ^%$@ you up w/o one on if they go off.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM

I looked through the owners manual and is says to bring it in to the shop so that they can do this......if the mechanix can do it then there must be some sort of sequence like the ones for the automatic door lock features.....my past cars actually told you how to disable the chimes....ANYONE????
Old 08-29-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Default Re: seatbelt chimes....how to disable

Originally Posted by sleepchamber
fasten the seatbelt......
Okay, i didnt say it, you did!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for me, the chime is annoying as hell and it'd be nice to disable it... that's just to cut out that damn noise - i wear my belt all the time in the car. i never forget it!

the other annoyance is the beeping if you leave the key in the ignition and open your door. i hate it!@#!@#!@#
Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
for me, the chime is annoying as hell and it'd be nice to disable it... that's just to cut out that damn noise - i wear my belt all the time in the car. i never forget it!

the other annoyance is the beeping if you leave the key in the ignition and open your door. i hate it!@#!@#!@#
That's what warning sounds are supposed to be: Annoying, so that you have a desire to shut them off by heeding the warning, otherwise you may leave you lights on, lock your key in the car, or get your face shredded by the windshield in an accident.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sleepchamber
I looked through the owners manual and is says to bring it in to the shop so that they can do this......if the mechanix can do it then there must be some sort of sequence like the ones for the automatic door lock features.....my past cars actually told you how to disable the chimes....ANYONE????
I cannot BELIEVE any mechanic or shop would tell you how to disable your own seatbelt warning, especially if they knew it was to facilitate your conversion into a human missle at the earliest opportunity.

If you do find someone willing to do this, tell me how to get in touch with them, so I can warn them that the sort of person who would rather fly through a sheet of glass than wrinkle his clothes is also the sort of person who would sue the crap out of someone stupid enough to help him get away with it.

I would encourage you to wear your seatbelt, but if you haven't been convinced by the billions of pieces of information that support it, maybe the problem will solve itself. ;)
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
If you were driving an 08 xB you would never hear the noise unless you forget your seatbelt as the warning does not start going off till you car is going over 13 miles per hour.