Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Seriously Considering a New xB..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Seriously Considering a New xB..

My wife and I are seriously thinking about purchasing a new xB soon. I've been looking at the CRV and RAV4 too.
I honestly like the xB because it is such a cool looking vehicle. I'd like to ask a few questions to the owners.

How is the stock ride (no drop)? Is it a smooth and quiet ride?
Will a couple of Mt bikes fit in the back with the rear seats down?
Why doesn't Scion offer an optional sunroof?
Is the xB comfortable on 4, 5 and 6 hour trips?
What is the biggest complaint of the 2nd Gen?

I've spent a little bit of time searching, but couldn't find much on these questions.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-28-2008, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Seriously Considering a New xB

How is the stock ride (no drop)? Is it a smooth and quiet ride?
For the price, it rides well. Quiet? Not Lexus quiet, but its certainly bearable. Test drive one!

Will a couple of Mt bikes fit in the back with the rear seats down?
Maybe, depends on if you're willing to get the car a bit dirty. If you take the front wheel off, it should fit. Again, go to the dealership and take some measurements.

Why doesn't Scion offer an optional sunroof?
Cause it would screw up Scion's "monospec" idea, and bring the price up.

Is the xB comfortable on 4, 5 and 6 hour trips?
I live on an island, 4-6 hour trips do not apply

What is the biggest complaint of the 2nd Gen?
With my 1500W sound system, the roof flexes like a tissue paper in the wind.
Not a problem unless you've got powerful sounds though.
Some people have reported various creaks and rattles from the car. I can deal with it, I just turn up the stereo.

Like I said, test drive one and see for yourself. :]

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-28-2008, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I drove mine From Wa. to Vegas and a few months later a to Sonoma Cali. comfy for such a long drive
Old 12-28-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have drove mine on many 5-6hr drives and never have a comfort issue. Just the normal "I have been sitting for five hours and want to walk around" bug, but that is with any car.

I think it is very comfortable.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

i think the real question is are you ready to be that guy who drives a RAV4 or a CRV. I think the xB still has a cool factor to it. The RAV4 and CRV are just sort of, well, "hey I've grown up and I have a car that kinda blends in."

I mean, I know they are quality cars, but that's just how they sound to me. There are probably great reasons to buy them, but the xB doesn't seem to fit into the group. I think if you're asking about an xB, then you need to get one.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just drove my Parents' 2007 RAV4 Limited on a 2 hour one way drive. The driver seat felt uncomfortable to me compared to my xB. YMMV.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is stock and the ride is smooth, but you will have road noise to deal with. You really should try one out on the highway to see for yourself.

I have put two mountain bikes in the back with the wheels on, but I got a trailer hitch and bike rack because its so much easier to deal with. Plus you don't have to worry about getting the interior dirty or scuffing anything.

I've been on several 4-6 hour trips with no comfort issues. The armrest takes a little getting used to because of how it's positioned.

I guess my biggest complaint is the "easy" gas pedal. My previous car was a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix that I drove for 9 years and the gas pedal was pretty stiff. I still find myself "jerking" the car from hitting the gas pedal too quickly.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best car yet and I have owned a benz. I drove to wva and back, roughly 800 miles in 10 hours with no problems. Took 4 tanks of gas. It was raining too, I ripped through western virginia and wva hills and all with no problems.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Seriously Considering a New xB

I ride both mountain and road bikes and I installed a hitch for my bike carrier [you can also buy a Yakima roof rack if you prefer the top mount] .
My biggest gripe on the 08 models are the A and B pillar creak , I've heard they've addressed the problem on the 09's . If you do buy one ,
just change the air filter to K&N and get rid of the snorkel.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-29-2008, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ditto on the previous responses. You'll have to remove the front wheel on the bikes and may have to lay them down. My only complaints are minor. The center console and armrest are pretty useless,
no lock on the glovebox, stuff like that. It is so cool looking, so much fun to drive and such an amazing value, the little stuff doesn't bother me.

Unlike the CRV and the Rav4, the xB doesn't come with AWD. That may be an issue if you are into serious mountain biking. The CRV and RAV4 can also be optioned a lot "plusher"than the xB,
but if you can live without heated leather seats and mirrors, the xB is a nicely equipped balance of fun and economy in a unique package. If you need the AWD, check out a Honda Element. The bikes'll fit.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default very comfortable

drove mine up to oregon from so cal area and back very comfortable ride is still on stock springs and tires.couple trips up to yosemite no complaints at all.plus it is a daily driver up and down 405 freeway i mean parking lot at times.still comfy
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: very comfortable

Originally Posted by Y8RS
drove mine up to oregon from so cal area and back very comfortable ride is still on stock springs and tires.couple trips up to yosemite no complaints at all.plus it is a daily driver up and down 405 freeway i mean parking lot at times.still comfy
If you think it's comfy on stock springs, you should try it on Tanabe NF210's! :D
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206857
Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

still working on the springs and wheels was thinking bout eibach sportlines
Old 12-30-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Sportlines are great also, just a heavier drop, which I didn't want for my daily driver.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the xB2 is a great car for it's value. been on several road trips w/my parents 55+ for 8hrs trip and they didn't complain so think about it if elder didn't complain on a 8hr trip then the ride gotta be something worthwhile for its price.

I know the RAV4 and CRV is roughly 3k-10k more depending on the options and model you get. like many mention just go test drive one and you'll know what you want. good luck

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB2 is very comfy and has a lot of great safety features. Just keep in mind that it is a $17k car and you won't be disappointed. I've taken mine from SD to SF a couple times and it is much more enjoyable to take on a road trip than my old Xterra was. Plus it uses about 1/2 as much gas, is faster, handles better, etc. If you get one, you just might catch the bug and start working on it to make it your own. That's pretty much what these cars are about. A "stock scion" is somewhat oxymoronic.

I think I tried to put a mountain bike in the back when I first got my car. I don't think it was able to stand up even with the front wheel removed. It was cumbersome and will eventually mess up your interior if you make a habit of it. The best solution would be to get a bike rack. I have a trailer hitch mounted rack that is excellent. The rack and the hitch cost me about $250 all together.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*How is the stock ride (no drop)? Is it a smooth and quiet ride?

I like the ride a lot; my boyfriend was just mentioning yesterday that the ride was much smoother than his 06 MitsyBitsy Galant. It's quieter than my old 95
Plymouth Neon, so the noise doesn't bother me, however, others have added dampener to quiet it down and complain about it. I don't really notice it myself.

*Will a couple of Mt bikes fit in the back with the rear seats down?

Never tried it, but a 42" LCD TV will!

*Why doesn't Scion offer an optional sunroof?

The Gold one does standard, and my dealership offers sunroofs on the others as aftermarket.

*Is the xB comfortable on 4, 5 and 6 hour trips?

Four adults ride easily on road trips in this sucker. And, being girls, all our luggage fit. Everyone was very comfortable. I want to get a lumbar
pillow myself, but I have back issues anyhow, so I'm not a good person to answer this question. Other than that, I've always been comfortable.

*What is the biggest complaint of the 2nd Gen?

I want TWO dedicated chargers!! One isn't enough in the front and I have to People talk about the pillar creak and mine doesn't, so I don't know other than that. People always have lots of things they'd add on, like another arm rest,
and I'm not a big fan of the bug fest my front end becomes in the summer. But a bra or clear bra usually fixes that. These blocky vehicles also like to pick up rock chips on the front, but you'd get that with the Element and a lot of the SUVs anyhow.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

[/quote]

We have the same bike carrier . I even have a Tnabe df drop .... no problems . I think it would be wise to install a Hotchkiss swaybar ..especially at the rear.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toastado
We have the same bike carrier . I even have a Tnabe df drop .... no problems . I think it would be wise to install a Hotchkiss swaybar ..especially at the rear.
It's a pretty decent carrier, don't you think? I like how it's very easy to use. BTW I'm on NFs. No problems with the DFs you say??? Hmmm I wonder if I should go lower... I have the TRD rear sway bar and it helps. I wish I had the Hotchkis set but I'm good for now.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Seriously Considering a New Xb

The xB is one the best cars I have owned so far... I own a tc and we end up using the Box more often we are a family of 3 and its plenty of room for us the ride is great!

You can probably fit 2 bikes in the rear with the seats folded down, I was able to fit a 110cc bike standing up, but if you are a neat freak like me you might not want to do
that since it can get pretty dirty. Yakima makes a great roof rack.

Some creaks and light noise but that is minimal if any noise whatsoever I don't here anything on mine.

You should go test drive one.

You can probably have really good options added for the same price you can get a CRV. I know some dealers offer Sunroof but just keep in mind it will increase your cost.

A Scion will be the best BANG for your BUCK! I have two and I love them both!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-05-2021 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: Seriously Considering a New xB..