Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

soo our windshield is cracked -__-

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI...you can go to my website and get an instant estimate of what a replacement windshield would cost. www(dot)economyautoglass(dot)com You might be surprised at the price! I'm in Indy so I can't help with the actual sale and install but again if anyone had any autoglass questions dont hesitate to ask.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about ppg glass? I'm reading as much as I can about safelight before we get warranty work, I have heard that it may be better having a local window guy do it...
Old 03-05-2011, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

PPG changed their name to PGW so yes...its good glass. ALWAYS use a local independent shop!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably what im going to do. Idk I remember someone telliNg me ONLY USE PPG GLASS yes they were yelling xD I can't remember who though.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

PPG is an oem provider and so is Pilkington you shoukd be safe with either...make sure they will NOT install FYG or XYG glass, its china garbage!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol I read about that xyg crap too. So what happens if I actually do have to go to safelight and they show up with xyg?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You dont have to use any service provider you dont want to...if the insurance people try to push you towards safelite or give you a line of ish about it, thats illegal and known as "steering". You are the customer so you get to decide who fixes your car.

Here is the problem with safelite:
They manufacture glass and sell to wholesalers, sell and install glass at the retail level and they own one of the three insurance claims administration companies that ALL claims are processef thru. So they get first pick at the jobs that pay the most and they can do it for less expense then anyone else too! They control alot in my industry and are looked at very badly for how they obtain sales. There is tons more on slavelite but you get the idea!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ricersux and eveyone else, you guys have helped me so much. So far I have already learned f you want replacement oem glass go with ppg/pgw, or pilkerton. I also found out the actual oem producer of our glass is asahi but they don't sell to third party vehicles which sucks cuz the only place to get it is from Toyota. This is the glass that goes on the Japanese produced toyotas have. And tmstay away from xyg.

So I know what glass to get and I'll ask for the toyota sealant also. Now to just find a food reputable local place to install the windshield that will be covered by our insurance.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota doesnt manufacturer the glue/adhesive either. We use a brand called Sika some use Dow etc....if the shop is using good glass like PGW or Pilkington then they will be using a quailty urethane adhesive also.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read about that too but never put that in my mind...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd definitely echo the sentiment to reduce comprehensive deductibles on the xB, because that front glass sure loves to crack. I have 92K miles on my 09. I've had COUNTLESS rock chips filled and am on my 3rd windshield. Most insurance companies will cover fixing small rock chips free of charge, but obviously replacing the whole glass will cost. It's so nice to just be able to shrug off the cost by knowing I don't have a deductible to pay for. It's also come in handy both times my car got busted into.

The xB's non-sloped windshield design combined with its lower height (compared to, say, a pickup) means you're going to get a lot of rocks that don't want to bounce up and over like they do on most passenger cars. The rock is simply going to smack into the glass full-force and leave you with a nice present.

Mike
Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so im in website design right now, i got a call from star auto glass here in vegas, literally just got off the phone and the lady told me 195 for pilkington glass. might head over there to get it done. ill have to ask about the sika adhesive.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you ever get a price quote on OEM Toyota glass? Sorry if you posted it and I missed it.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

900 bills and safelite was doing the install. Our I durance is not gpin to cover it for sure -__-
Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

900 bills and safelite was doing the install. Our Insurance is not gpin to cover it for sure -__-
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whaaa? I'd jump on the Pilkington glass deal real quick. Have you looked into any type of 3M film or anything that can protect the windshield? How about plexi-glass? lol
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol ya I think were going to do it. For sure our insurance wasn't going to cover it Dx lol I want this window fixed already!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know this is late i havent beeon here in a while, but just go to a good auto glass repair shop and make sure htye use the best glass,fl has where if u have full coverage they will replace the glass for free. ive been meaning to call mine in since i have a crack on the passenger side but ive been stalling on that.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok soo just an update, insurance just repaired the crack and they did an ok job, I don't really care any more, lol if it cracks well just call them up again.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm on my 3rd window. I replaced it last fall, and one of the heavy snowfalls this past winter put a huge smiley face across the whole window. My insurance is going to hate me....

I heard alot of xB2 owners have windshield issues. How ofter should this be happening?

Quick Reply: soo our windshield is cracked -__-