Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Sorry, Pls help, stupid warranty question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sorry, Pls help, stupid warranty question.

I already went through this post about warranty, https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/truth-about-voiding-your-warranty-21642/ , (thanks cionide for the ref). I still however had a quick question only because someone at the toyota dealership was confusing me. Granted I don't think I really asked the right person there because i had to make it a quick question at the time because I was there helping to buy my sister's car.

ANYWAYS, my questions is if you could install a TRD part (the trd parts, at least the lowering springs and what not, is it considered factory since it is possible to actually buy the car with it installed?) yourself, will it still keep the warranty, as in if the trd springs for example is messed up, would they fix it? When I was talking to one of the toyota people, he was saying something like as long as it's factory it is okay. I asked if the TRD parts that they sold at the dealership would be considered factory and he said it was. Does that mean its covered? (Why I asked is because although he said it, it was not exactly in those words. I really forgot how he said it but I remember feeling as if he was wrong or unsure of himself).

Ok let me summarize cuz I think i may have lost some of you....

I'll use the TRD Springs for example (since they are on the toyota website to add to the car). If I install the TRD Springs, Will I still have my 3 year warranty ? Will they fix the springs if the springs somehow break, dont work ect. ? Now, If I bought the TRD part from somewhere else (let's say new and for example from TRDsparks.com) and had the toyota dealership install it, would I be okay then? Now, I figured that if I were to buy the TRD springs from the dealership and have them install it, then for sure it would be safely under the warranty.

So questions are...

Buy from outside source + Self Install = ?

Buy from outside source + Dealership Install =?

Buy from Dealership + Dealership Install = Fully Warranted

Please don't hate if these question has been asked before, I'm just really confused and I did look through some old posts as well as ask a toyota employee (no not the janitor but it was someone that handles the last part of buying a car..sorry for sounding so stupid at this and not know the terms but its the guy that finalizes everything..I think it was the financial department of longo toyota (Somewhere in Los Angeles County FYI).
Anyways..thanks for any input, I guess even if it is a flame lol
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Scenario 1: 1 year part only warranty as long as the failure is not a result of installation

Scenario 2: Not likely to get a dealership to install a part bought elsewhere, but if they did it would follow remainder of your cars warranty or 1 year/12k miles. (whichever is greater)

Scenario 3: Follow remainder of your cars warranty or 1 year/12k miles. (whichever is greater)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice...thanks for the info
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 AM

does anyone know what book time is for trd spring installation? also - will it require a alignment?

approximate total for dealership install out the door?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasperpso
does anyone know what book time is for trd spring installation? also - will it require a alignment?

approximate total for dealership install out the door?
My dealership service will only install the springs if purchased through me in parts. It really depends on dealerships but i believe we use 4 hours and yes it will need an alignment. For pricing i cant help you, each dealership is severely different on what their pricing standards are.

I got lucky and have friends that are techs, purchased springs, installed and aligned next day for free.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by SamCarroll
My dealership service will only install the springs if purchased through me in parts. It really depends on dealerships but i believe we use 4 hours and yes it will need an alignment. For pricing i cant help you, each dealership is severely different on what their pricing standards are.

I got lucky and have friends that are techs, purchased springs, installed and aligned next day for free.

my best friend is a tech at the local jeep/ford/kia lot, and is more then capable of installing the springs and aligning it - as far as warranty - the only part that woulndt be warranted is the springs themselves right? i guess that wouldnt be that big of deal - considering a new set is only a few hundred bucks.. as far as causing loss of warranty - it has to be determined that the failure was from the upgraded part - and since TRD are factory parts - i would find that hard to stomach myself.. i guess i would say save the money..
Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SamCarroll

Yup for sure you'll need alignment anytime you adjust your height. Anyone from socal know any toyota dealership employees? prefer Longo Toyota =D
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Nothing but TRD parts on my xb2 that I bought online and installed myself. Had to visit the dealer twice for warranty repairs, not one issue or mention of the TRD parts from the dealership I had the work done at.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasperpso
my best friend is a tech at the local jeep/ford/kia lot, and is more then capable of installing the springs and aligning it - as far as warranty - the only part that woulndt be warranted is the springs themselves right? i guess that wouldnt be that big of deal - considering a new set is only a few hundred bucks.. as far as causing loss of warranty - it has to be determined that the failure was from the upgraded part - and since TRD are factory parts - i would find that hard to stomach myself.. i guess i would say save the money..
I beleive they will be warrantied as long as it's not due to improper installation.
And as far as voided warranty if you hve trd springs and your shocks go out they shouldn't void it due to the springs being trd a facory part. Now if the same scenario happened but you had say tanabe springs or sprints or etc. They can void that.
Hope this helps
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kingshawty12
I beleive they will be warrantied as long as it's not due to improper installation.
And as far as voided warranty if you hve trd springs and your shocks go out they shouldn't void it due to the springs being trd a facory part. Now if the same scenario happened but you had say tanabe springs or sprints or etc. They can void that.
Hope this helps
thanks but what if toyota themselves didn't install the springs?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ruztiko
thanks but what if toyota themselves didn't install the springs?
shouldnt matter as long as the springs were installed correctly, if the springs break and were installed correctly that could have been a product defect and should warranty it. i may be wrong, so keep asking around there are a bunch of people who have installed TRD parts their own and havent had problems when they bring it to the dealership.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing about the warranty is it is effective from date of purchase if bought elsewhere/not installed at the dealership. So if you bought the springs today, installed them 2 months later yourself(just to say), something happens a year later after installation(say spring is defective), the warranty would not cover it because it's passed the 12 months from the date they were bought.

Borrowed from Spark's site:

"Warranty:

TRD Sport Parts lnstalled by Dealer
TRD Sport Parts are warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date of installation or for the balance of the new car warranty in force on the date of installation, whichever is greater, when TRD Sport Parts are installed by an authorized Toyota or Scion Dealer.

TRD Sport Parts Not Installed by a Dealer
TRD Sport Parts installed by anyone other than an authorized Toyota or Scion dealer are warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date of purchase only and the warranty coverage is limited to the replacement value of the TRD Sport Part."

http://trdsparks.com/warranty1.htm
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in simpler words you have 12 months on the warranty from date of purchase, am i right?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^If not installed at the dealer, correct.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dropzone
Another thing about the warranty is it is effective from date of purchase if bought elsewhere/not installed at the dealership. So if you bought the springs today, installed them 2 months later yourself(just to say), something happens a year later after installation(say spring is defective), the warranty would not cover it because it's passed the 12 months from the date they were bought.

Borrowed from Spark's site:

"Warranty:

TRD Sport Parts lnstalled by Dealer
TRD Sport Parts are warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date of installation or for the balance of the new car warranty in force on the date of installation, whichever is greater, when TRD Sport Parts are installed by an authorized Toyota or Scion Dealer.

TRD Sport Parts Not Installed by a Dealer
TRD Sport Parts installed by anyone other than an authorized Toyota or Scion dealer are warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date of purchase only and the warranty coverage is limited to the replacement value of the TRD Sport Part."

http://trdsparks.com/warranty1.htm
thanks a bunch! that really helped clear a lot out for me