Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Success for Scion and the new xB!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
First, let me repeat that the EPA does not do the testing. The manufacturers do, using the EPA methodology (and the EPA then double-checks 10-15% of the results, according to the site you linked).

Second, let me again repeat that the point here is not to compare EPA results with CU results.

The point is to compare CU results to other CU results. For example, no pre-2008 xB was ever tested using the new EPA method, so comparing EPA '08 results with EPA '05 results is just guesswork. *

But CU tested the 08 xB and the 05 xB using exactly the same methods, the same methods they use for every vehicle they test. These are a mix of road, test track, and lab tests. So you can reliably compare the results of an 08xB with an 05xB or an 04 Civic or whatever cars CU has tested, large or small.

This does not mean you will get the same efficiency CU got, obviously. It just means that the two cars got the stated results when subjected to the same tests.

Gen1 owners had the same reaction to CU's tests that xB2 orners are having: "their results are whack, my car is much [faster, more efficient, more comfortable, less noisy, whatever] than they said."

That's the sound of the point being missed. They're comparing cars to each other using common testing metrics, in order to determine relative performance.

They are not comparing their cars to our cars, or their driving techniques to our driving techniques, or their MPG results to the EPA's.

Bottom line: if CU's tests show that a given car's overall MPG is, say, 20% lower than another's, then it probably will be. A careful driver will probably get better numbers, and a leadfoot will probably get worse, but the relative efficiency of the two vehicles with the same driver under the same conditions will remain similar. That is the information the test is designed to yield.

*Yes, I know the EPA posted numbers estimating what older cars would have achieved in the revised test. Key word: estimate. They did not re-test the old cars. They just reduced the old results by a sliding percentage scale based on size, weight, and engine displacement. IOW, guesswork. CU's data through the years, on the other hand, is based on consistent and repeatable testing
The fuel used by a given engine/vehicle is very predictable once you know all of the parameters and specifications. The fuel usage in the 3 new EPA test can be reliably predicted based on the 2 old tests to within about 1/2 mpg...since they are rounded to whole numbers, the most someone could reasonably expect their estimates to vary from actual testing in the new method is ~+-1 mpg, and that is really stretching it for a car that only lost 3 mpg.

You can test vehicles as scientifically as you want, but if the program emphaizes certain things, the gap between two cars can widen dramatically. The EPA difference of about 11% is accurate for those who drive like normal people and avoid excessive speed and heavy acceleration.

If you drive like I do most of the time, the CR difference of ~20% is more accurate, definitely.

Hell, CR could run a test with a heavy load on the drivetrain at redline in 2nd gear. The difference between the two models would probably be 45%, simply because the 2.4 can gulp the fuel faster. Will anyone ever see a 45% difference between the old xB and the new? Possibly on a tri-oval track or during top-speed testing, but that would be about it.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the most reasonable explanation I have seen because, while i do believe that the tests for avr. mpg. would be standard and uniform at least per class, I could never get an in city of "16" unless I used a very heavy foot or wanted to make the xb2 look bad. The neither senerio is valid if the testing is on controlled test ground.
Whatever the case, our site members are our best test ground. Of course our own experience is the only true test for our area. I just hate to have people read this bad report and turn away from a great car
Old 09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
I just hate to have people read this bad report and turn away from a great car
It was not a bad report. CU recommends the car, and gave it high marks in many areas. They consider it an improvement over the xB1 in many areas, and a very good car in its own right. It simply didn't get high marks for fuel efficiency relative to many other small cars.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the record, CU's results for the four cars they tested for the current report:

Elantra xB Lancer Sentra

City/Hwy/Overall 18/36/27 16/30/23 17/34/25 18/34/26

They've of course tested most other small cars on the market using the same methods, but I don't have back issues at hand.

The Elantra and xB were automatics. The Lancer and Sentra had CVTs.

The xB was the heaviest of the four cars, and also easily the fastest in all acceleration tests.

I don't see why these results would surprise anyone, taken in the context of CU's overall testing methodology.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry rdclark

I only had in mind the 16 in city mpg. I don't have access to the full report. Only what I pick up here. Cool Beans!!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the record, CU's results for the four cars they tested for the current report:

Elantra xB Lancer Sentra

They've of course tested most other small cars on the market using the same methods, but I don't have back issues at hand.

The xB was the heaviest of the four cars, and also easily the fastest in all acceleration tests.

I don't see why these results would surprise anyone, taken in the context of CU's overall testing methodology.
Exactly. I understand the CR MPG results to mean that the xB will get 2-4 MPG worse overall than those other three cars. But will also out-accelerate those other three cars. That seems like a perfectly understandable and reasonable report.

Regarding the EPA tests...
Didn't the EPA just start doing actual tests? Weren't the previous (pre-200 tests just theoretical tests based on emissions measurements and not actual road-course drving?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just ran 212.5 miles, 90% highway, and used 6.363 gallons. That would average 33.39 MPG. Cruise set at 65, AC on. Not very scientific, but encouraging never the less. I only have 700 miles on the odometer too.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toronado

Elantra xB Lancer Sentra

Exactly. I understand the CR MPG results to mean that the xB will get 2-4 MPG worse overall than those other three cars. But will also out-accelerate those other three cars. That seems like a perfectly understandable and reasonable report.

Regarding the EPA tests...
Didn't the EPA just start doing actual tests? Weren't the previous (pre-200 tests just theoretical tests based on emissions measurements and not actual road-course drving?
No, they were always real tests. The put the vehicle on a dyno that simulates the road/aero/etc load and follow a chart of speed vs time. The gas consumption is measured and various correction factors are applied until they get the numbers that are posted.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
SL Member

Ya, our car is just a huge, bloated American car now... ??????