Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

TRAC/VCS/BRAKE Lights on and P-0456 and/or C-0210 Code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRAC/VCS/BRAKE Lights on and P-0456 and/or C-0210 Code?

So, over the past year I've purchased 2 xB's. A Gen 1 and a Gen 2. They both started throwing these three idiot lights and a P-0456 Code (minor EVAP leak). It's virtually NEVER the gas cap, unless you are extremely lucky. And "no" we don't "top off" our tanks.

As stated in several other posts, you can reset them on the Gen 1 by disconnecting the positive battery cable for 10 minutes or so.

For the Gen 2, you don't have to do that. Turn the key to "on" (don't start the engine), and set the display to ODO (not Trip A or B). Release the display button, turn the key off and then, while holding the reset button, turn the key back to "on". This will clear the codes and stop the idiot lights from illuminating. On both vehicles, the lights resumed shortly thereafter.

On both my vehicles, it was an expensive fix, namely, replace the charcoal vacuum canister. Several hundred bucks each time.

Not covered under regular warranty beyond 36K miles, not covered at all with an extended warranty.

With all the posts I've read here and in other forums, you'd think Toyota would recall that $hitpot canister.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Last edited by TheMotrCty; 11-28-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default UPDATE

Diagnosed the filler neck had a small leak, thus the P-0456 code. However, it gets better. After the P-0456 code was cleared and the idiot lights went off, the idiot lights came back on (TRAC/VCS/BRAKE) and...........

P-0210 tripped (Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction).

And, here we go....There are four speed sensors at each wheel and each has a separate connection harness that feeds back to the ECU. Again, this is on an '08 xB, it's the same concept with Gen1, I confirmed this with the tech. I took mine to the dealer and even their top technician (whatever that means) couldn't quite figure it out. He could get the code to clear by replacing the sensor (he tracked it to the right rear), but it would come right back on once you hit the brakes on a test drive. This is as far as they got on day 1.

Day 2, they called and said they had to call Toyota and speak to them. After doing that, they determined that the harness, sensor, wheel bearing and race all had to be replaced (don't ask about the bearing and race, I'm like "WTF?"). I pick it up this afternoon. All-in non-warranty cost to me = $780.

Apparently it's a beeyotch to diagnose this and then repair it. So, if you get the dreaded Three Stooges, it's a guessing game as to what the problem might be. Gas cap my a$$.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Last edited by TheMotrCty; 11-28-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had these lights last winter... I removed the clips on the speed sensors on the rear wheels, cleaned them with contact cleaner and applied a heavy amount of dielectric grease to prevent the salty water from spraying up in there. Ever since, no issue.

Sucks yours has not been so easy.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FINAL RESOLUTION

TRAC/VCS/BRAKE Lights On Simultaneously.

Retreived C-0210 Code - Open circuit in rear wheel speed sensor (right rear side).

Removed and replaced right rear speed sensor. Still throws code C - 0210.

Removed and replaced right rear speed sensor wire/connection harness, applied dielectric grease, removed hub, replaced bearing and bearing race (repacked bearing) per Technical Service Bulletin.

Cleared TRAC/VCS/BRAKE lights and road tested. Normal at this time and code did not trip and left rear side is funtioning normally. Applied dielectric grease to left rear sensor connection.

Labor: $330.00
Parts: $451.75

And there you have it.

Ronnie