Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

We ARE getting a new XB :) picking it up on Saturday!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:23 AM
SL Member

Default We ARE getting a new XB :) picking it up on Saturday!

My Wife and I test drove the 08 XB today, and we both really liked it.

We called the dealer back today and we'll be going in Monday to sort out some paperwork and put down the deposit.

We'll be getting an auto in Blackberry Crush Metallic, with the Karr alarm ($595) and the rear bumper applique($69).

Out the door just under $20k all taxes paid.

Questions:

The dealer's charging 595 for the clear bra, sounds a bit high to me so we probably won't get it there.

Is the karr alarm worth the extra over the factory alarm? It still uses the factory key for activation /deactivation ?

Anything else I should be thinkng of? Extended warranty or suchlike?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'm getting the Scion Security alarm. it utilizes the key buttons still and it retains the high pitch chirp of the toyota/lexus alarms
Old 05-27-2007, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

19600 withe xtended warranty. Same auto as you are getting without applique or premium alarm. I think the basic alarm is just fine myself. Took extended just to be cautious in case of emergency ya never know!!!! Good luck and enjoy it!!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Looks like we're getting a new XB :) Couple of questions

Originally Posted by craiglester
The dealer's charging 595 for the clear bra, sounds a bit high to me so we probably won't get it there.

Is the karr alarm worth the extra over the factory alarm? It still uses the factory key for activation /deactivation ?
Let me personally attempt to advise you, like I did my own mother, forget the alarm, get the clear bra! In the long run, the clear bra will far outweigh the alarm for helping you keep the xB in tip-top shape. Repainting the front end of your new car down the road will be far more expensive in the long run.

I would personally never bother having any car dealership install an alarm as you can get a far better alarm through someone else and usually cheaper.

Please please please seriously consider the clear bra over the alarm!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

doesn't matter whether u get a dollar alarm or a million dollar alarm. If someone wants to steal something, they will. So i would just get the basic for your own personal security. It's very east to just break glass and take what they want.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:48 PM
SL Member

I do intend to get a clear bra, but i'll probably get it done elsewhere. I'm pretty sure the dealership is marking the price up a fair bit.
The Karr alarm is $100 more then the Scion one.

So, the clear bra covers the hood, fender tips and the mirrors and door handle cups (not the bumper though). is that a better deal for the 595 than the alarm?

I suppose i can ask the dealer for the clear bra instead of the alarm. I haven't put anything in writing and they should be able to pull the alarm without any problems i'd imagine?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

$595 is still a bit much for an alarm. What features does the Karr have? I have a Compustar installed on my Evo for the same price. It's got remote start, 2-way pagign, turbo timer etc.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:54 PM
SL Member

Well, I'm not sure. One of the features I like is that i don't need a seperate key fob as it uses the factory key to operate. I don't need remote start, as the car is garaged.
I'm sure if i ask them to remove it they can so I may just do that..
Old 05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

craiglester, sending you a PM w/ some information about clear bra and I wouldn't bother w/ the alarm, I was looking around and I haven't found much about it and what I did find says it was a waste of money.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

In almost all circumstances you can get accessories cheaper after you buy the car. This is even true of Toyota accessories.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

For instance--Sullivan Brothers Toyota on EBAY (Toyotamall1) is selling the applique for under $40. Of course you have to install yourself.........
Old 05-27-2007, 09:35 PM
SL Member

I looked at getting the applique mail order, but add in the post and packing and it only wotks out about $15 cheaper, so i'm gonna get the dealer to install it as I'll probably make a mess of it..

I've found a place that does a complete clear bra with the bumper, for a reasonable amount, i'm gonna call them about it on tuesday. Thanks for all the tips people. the dealership is closed today so I sent an email to the salesguy asking they remove the alarm (i'm gonna call first thing tomorrow too, to make sure it's removed) , I'll get an aftermarket one installed locally.

It also means I'm financing less if I pay for these items after we've bought the car.

Any thoughts on the extended warrany? I'm thinking its a bit of a crapshoot with those. we have a mazda and got an extended warranty on that and haven't used it in the 4 years we've had the car..
Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by craiglester
Any thoughts on the extended warrany? I'm thinking its a bit of a crapshoot with those. we have a mazda and got an extended warranty on that and haven't used it in the 4 years we've had the car..
You'll get mixed responses but for the length of my financing I got the extended as did my mother on her 08 xB - I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:11 AM
SL Member

Count us in as members of the XB gang! We put down the deposit on our Blackberry Crush XB (Auto) . Went for the 5 yr 60K warranty too, to be on the ultra safe side. We'll pick it up Saturday. I'm looking forward to it
Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congratulations! Glad to hear that.

It has only been two days and I am still a little shocked when I go out to the garage and there sits my xB.
I hope you like yours as much as I do mine.