Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB2 Chief Engineer Comnig down: Anything to relay to him?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A telescopic steering wheel that actually comes closer to you, not farther away than the non-telescopic models. (Pretty f'n retarded if you ask me). Also get rid of the booster seat that they have in the car now an install a drivers seat that sits lower to the floor. 2 major design flaws that turned me off from getting one.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Wheel and seat

I would love to have the wheel telescope closer to me. But I love my booster seat, it's the best thing about this car. It makes it easier to get in and out of and gives the car more legroom. I have very long legs, and I can't stand cars with low seats.
Originally Posted by DriverXa
A telescopic steering wheel that actually comes closer to you, not farther away than the non-telescopic models. (Pretty f'n retarded if you ask me). Also get rid of the booster seat that they have in the car now an install a drivers seat that sits lower to the floor. 2 major design flaws that turned me off from getting one.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by azylstra
I would love to have the wheel telescope closer to me. But I love my booster seat, it's the best thing about this car. It makes it easier to get in and out of and gives the car more legroom. I have very long legs, and I can't stand cars with low seats.
Word, Im 6'8" and love the booster seat, makes me feel like im not on the ground which i hate with any other car like vehicle. It puts my legs and my body in the proper ergonomical position.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would like another note on the paint i have a bsp and swirls and chips are massive. idk why but the color is so nice but damn if its chippy
Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Geez, hope we didn't scare him away, but frankly, customer concerns are no less important than possible new features in this word-of-mouth communications-rich world we live in. People frequently ask current owners before taking the plunge -- it only makes sense for Toyota/Scion to cover their bases by protecting their reputation for driver friendly and reliability.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM

I'd like to see:

-- a better telescopic steering wheel (able to come closer to driver)
-- lumbar adjustment in seat
-- INCREASE headroom. That is the main reason I looked at the xB, the older gen had better headroom.
-- Have a NO sunroof option -- sunroofs always take away at least an inch of headroom for the mechanism
-- A 5 or 6 speed automatic
-- Better gas mileage (if possible) OR
-- A hybrid option!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still here, lol. I was off the last few days and wasn't near a computer. Didn't want to post replies on the phone. He's coming down today. I'll let you know how things turn out this afternoon.

NewDolphin: The moonroof design didn't take away as much headroom as it usually does.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

fire himself...
and get the bB here maybe in the Dex form....
if he refuses then I like most of the other suggestions
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member

Love my xB, but I would ask about daytime running lights. The Canada version has them because it is required. I assume they don't have them in the US to cut costs, but I wish I had them.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lighten the interior. All the reviews comment on how dark the interior is. Either add some LEDs to the door and console areas or lighten the color. Also, make a cargo area light that isn't blocked when you actually have cargo back there: put it on the ceiling or above the cubbies.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The open table discussion went well. We communicated issues to the engineering team and product planning team that may not have heard of (coolant leak/spray at water pump, weather-proofing issue with rear vehicle speed sensors) and interior/performance topics that should be improved.

They are aware that the thoughts shared were gathered from: my personal experience on the front line (Los Angeles local market), and current owner's suggestions from this thread. Each topic was touched upon and reasoning behind each change was defended (our side). Lists were handed over to all the reps that came in (9 in total, plus a coworker and myself). Notes were definitely taken during the process which brings my conclusions below:

Standardized Options that are being considered that are likely to make it (based on amount of note-taking I saw on the corp. end, hahaha):

Additional 12V charger port in close proximity to the USB/AUX port will be visited. I mentioned the competition has dual ports as standard equipment.

SUV-style rear bumper guard versus current accessory applique. We used the RAV4 as an example for this piece. Many buyers are choosing the xB to replace their SUVs and want this feature. It will either cause a bumper redesign to accommodate the suv-like 'guard', or have the accessory piece redesigned to be a more heavy-duty piece.

Sunvisor extensions

Glove Box Lock

Discussed topics that will need to be considered due to possibly large engineering or price changes

Update to 5-speed Automatic Transmission OR changing to 2AR-FE with 6-speed Auto/Manual OR changing to Japan's drivetrain (1.8L as in the Corolla/xD with CVT). I said it will all depend on how the car drives. The xB seems best fit with the 2AZ and a 5-speed (I love how the manual xB drives now) but the 2AR with 6-speed may prove to be better (torque from dual vvt-i, possibility of achieving great MPG). The 1.8L may prove to be too small for the xB PLUS it'll intrude on the Matrix (which I consider the overpriced xB $24k sticker with the underpowered engine 1.8L). This is the main thing I pushed for that was a somewhat unreasonable change (due to cost). Hopefully it's seriously considered and something gets approved to help improve the xB's MPG without sacrificing driving feel.

Moonroof - Pushing away from mono-spec is the issue here, but it is being considered. Approx. premium for this is $960. USD as a standalone difference from a standard xB. Will be looked into. Again, competitors offer this option, so it's something I believe we need.

Other Discussion Topics

Rear Seat Configuration - Discussed the flip-forward type seats (ie Honda Fit) OR center armrest integrated into the rear seat back. Lightly touched on it, no word on looking into it. I believe the armrest is a possibility since it's available in the Rumion. The flip-forward seat is unlikely since they boast "ease of increasing cargo area space" compared to other brands.

Vehicle Packaging - Would consumers prefer the xB as-is now and be able to customize OR have more added items (standard alloy wheels, moonroof, etc) at a higher price point? We want it AS-IS with the current price point. Adding all those extras at the factory would drive the price up quite a bit! People will, however, pay more for better MPG (at this time, anyhow, as it's the flavor of the month topic).

Vehicle "Family" Styling - Lexus vehicles share similar front end styling, as BMW vehicles share similar front end styling. Do we want styling between all Scion models to be familiar? Heck no! 3 (will be 5) different vehicles for different buyers. Making them all look the same (http://alllooksame.com/ hahaha) would definitely be a bad thing. However, I love that all the vehicles are hatchbacks/wagons/whatever you want to call 'em :D

Vehicle "Family" Styling - How about linking styling to certain styling elements from the Toyota or Lexus Family? Heck no! (Same response as above).

USB/AUX Location (in center console in 2011MY) - Location was chosen to conceal items, so works out for those leaving these items in the vehicle. A hassle for those that remove their player after reach use. A new location will be considered, but unlikely.

-------

Anything I didn't repost about in this reply was basically discussed and we simply moved on (heated mirrors, weight reduction, etc).
Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the update and sounds good ! Guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope the lockable glovebox can be easily swapped.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

12V charging port in the rear.

Removable ash tray (for change) in the center possibly in the hole between the cup holder and arm rest.

Garage door controls in the sun visor

Last edited by Mauby; 05-20-2011 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mauby
12V charging port in the rear.

Removable ash tray (for change) in the center possibly in the hole between the cup holder and arm rest.

Garage door controls in the sun visor
Unfortunately your input is too late for the meeting.
Also, homelink remote garage controls can add $300-400 to the price of the car, so it's not likely on the value priced Scion line.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Also, homelink remote garage controls can add $300-400 to the price of the car, so it's not likely on the value priced Scion line.
That's another example of something I wouldn't want to be stuck paying for, but I've no objection to it as an available accessory !
Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Thanks for the update and sounds good ! Guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.
Hopefully they sent over an update list so we can see ahead of time... this is, of course, not going to happen~ hahaha

Originally Posted by jnaval
I hope the lockable glovebox can be easily swapped.
It would be cheaper to engineer a handle with the lock that fits into the glove box's current handle location, so it's possible. Alternatively, they change the whole glove box door. Plus you'll have a separate key for the glove box lock too (if you swap)... now it's a pita

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I actually have seen this technology available on Kenwood headunits (program your remote on the headunit). Maybe it's something for suggestion to be integrated into the new "Upgrade Audio" or Navigation options. That'll definitely add value to the premium radio!