Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB2 "Splash Pan" prone to falling off???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xB2 "Splash Pan" prone to falling off???

http://www.miamiherald.com/419/story/168814.html
MiamiHerald.com Action Line, July 12, 2007
ASK ACTION LINE

Car's design flaw needs federal attention

• Q:This concerns a 2008 Scion xB that I bought brand new. There's a defect in the design that makes this car dangerous on the road. It's underneath the splash pan, and it's prone to falling off when the car hits a curb or any kind of object. I suspect the clearance is lower than it's supposed to be. Scion should do something about it.

Irving Saltz,
Miami

• A: We've referred you to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration. It collects complaints from the public and, if it gets enough about a particular aspect of a model, its Office of Defects Investigations can start a probe and ultimately issue service bulletins or recalls.

We didn't find any complaints about the car in the NHTSA's online database, but that's probably just because it's a brand new model. You can be the first to put in your two cents' worth by filing a complaint at 888-327-4236, www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov, or by snail mail to the Office of Defects Investigations/CR, NVS-216, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, Washington, DC 20590.
I came across the above complaint about xB2's "splash pan". The reader is alleging that xB2 has a dangerous design flaw, and its "splash pan" is prone to falling off and also the ground clearance is lower than spec (spec says 5.1").

First of all, what's "splash pan"? Is that the same as skid plate? Has anyone had any problem with this???
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Splash pan is a plastic tray below the engine to minimize road debris from getting into the engine compartment, and for under car aero purposes. Some cars have them, some don't. I like how the individual who asked the question indicated that it falls off when they hit a curb. I don't think Toyota designed that thing for curb impacts, or any impacts for that matter, other than small rocks or other small road debris. Driving through moderate snow has also been known to rip them off. Kind of like the plow effect.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! This is really bad news. I had planned on running over lots of curbs with my new XB2. Does anyone know where I can get a lift kit for my XB2 so that I can run over curbs without damaging the splash pan?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Darn and to think I wanted to go Rock Crawling this weekend Darn!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Outrageous!
That same plastic trim piece got damaged while this girl was just parking her new xB.
Can you believe that?

I suspect the clearance is lower than it's supposed to be. Scion should do something about it.

Irving Saltz,
Miami
Somebody needs to tell Irv that he should lower his xB so that the bumper will hit the curbs instead of the little trim piece underneath.

You can be the first to put in your two cents' worth by filing a complaint at 888-327-4236, www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov, or by snail mail to the Office of Defects Investigations/CR, NVS-216, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, Washington, DC 20590.
I think we should all send something to the NHTSA saying, "Watch out for complaints from Irving Saltz of Miami. He doesn't really own a car and he refuses to take his medications."