Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB2 Vs. xB1

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, i think this is the thread w. the longest posts. just about everyone hase 2-3 paragraphs.

Me, I hated the xB. I actually talked my sister from getting one during her search, she ended up getting a Celica. Now that I have mine I dont see the xBs as that bad, i probably would never buy one but I'm sure they're great cars.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had an 06.5 for just over a year and loved it, I originally bought it to carry our Bikes but ended up using it every Day too and from work, going to Costco and Ikea...it was awesome....
It's a long story, but I only went to our scion dealer to take a look and ended up driving one home...
Personally, I think they took everything good about the gen1 and made it better...
I hope I don't offend any gen1 drivers here by saying that when I see a gen1 on the road they look so tiny and dated...just sayin'
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMHO I believe the xB2 has to grow, just like the xB came to the states. I didnt like it at first, but I began to grow on it, and then bam.. I got one and then recently the xB2. I would just want people to remember, that the two cars are nothing in common except maybe the shape... if that. If I had a choice to get either the gen 1 xB or gen 2 xb, I would get the Gen 2 xB. More potential, more buyer base, and the key ingredient..... THE FUTURE. But thats if I had a choice. but ZI didnt have a choice when I got my Gen 1 xB. Just remember this xB2 owners, it is a better car in general, but I can still keep up with them in my gen1 xB. hahahaha!!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:01 PM

I remember seeing my first gen1 years ago on the road and thinking to myself "that's a cool looking car!". At the time I was driving a Mustang (blah on me for that). After searching the net to find out what kind of car it was (I had never heard of Scion before) I headed to the Toyota dealer to try one out. As cool as I thought it was, I was really disappointed by the horsepower. I do alot of highway driving here, so having some horses under the hood to deal with the aggressive Jersey/New York drivers is a must.

Not long after that, my wife decides she really wants an xB and wants to get rid of her Ford Focus (ugh). Since Scion = Toyota, I heartily agree. So I wind up owning a gen1 anyway

17 months after we buy the gen1, my wife tells me about the new 08 xB. After looking it up on scion.com I was very intrigued. Swung by the Toyota dealer again... the second I got in the gen2 for my test drive, I knew I had to have it. Everything I didn't care for in the gen1 was addressed in the gen2.

Two days later, I traded the Mustang in and drove home my new NBM gen2.

Seven days after that...........................

My wife trades her gen1 and drives home her new BCM gen2 LOL

Which reminds me, I need to get a pic of our pair of gen2s to throw up here
Old 08-26-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had a gen 1 and loved it. It was underpowered but a few mods made it livable. It really was a good car for what it was made for, urban area driving in Japan. I'm on the interstate every weekday. It wasn't a great high speed car mostly because of the gearing. I had no intentions of getting rid of it but someone took that out of my hands.

The gen 2 is much more refined and focused on "American" driving. The new XB is very much at home at interstate speeds. It doesn't look the same but who wants a car to look the same forever. Take a look at almost every other car that has been produced for many years and see how it's most recent version compares to the original.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

yeah the power is hardly there...and when you are on the interstate it feels like there should be a 6th gear (boy would that be nice)...i drove an 02 civic for about a week back in 02 and the civic felt the same way on the highway, i remember saying "man i feel like this car needs a 6th gear"...but all in all i love my box, i am taking a road trip after work from biloxi mississippi to panama city, that shall be fun, i just hate truckers and high bridges (i get pushed all over the road)
Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM
SL Member

I always thought the 1st gen xB was the second ugliest car on the road, after the Aztec. I thought the 08 was at least tolerable, and when I drove it I liked it a ton, and bought it. For me it is the perfect car, reasonable gas mileage, good storage and roominess, and very comfortable. After having it for a few weeks, I really started to like the looks of it, kind of '30s gangster-ish, and just weird enough to match my personality. I have really started to like the looks of the 1st gen boxes now, and would like to get one (for my daughter, of course ). I have since driven one, and yes it is a bit underpowered, and seems a little tinny, but it is a very likeable car. I get a mixed bag from 1st gen owners, they either think it is great or think it is a totalselloutnotcaringwhatwereallywantcorporatebeancountersuckslameattemptIwouldneverownoneminivanSUVhipsterwannabestationwagon.
I think they are both cool.
Kiiski
Old 08-26-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Maytag
Since you asked.....

I think the xB1 is ugly. That, and it screams 16 year old's first car to me. It gives me the impression of being juvenile. Again, that's just my own thoughts, and as long as it pleases the owner, that's all that matters.

I do think that Toyota made the new xB lose it's edge, in order to broaden appeal. And that's good. It turned me into a buyer.

I would also agree that the ratio of modded vs. stock will likely be higher for the xB1 as opposed to the xB2. Again, I think it is in fact attracting a more mature audience.
how can you say the xB1 screams juvenile when Scions are TARGETED @ younger kids.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Speaking from the point of view of someone who has owned both 1st and 2nd gen Xb's, my opinion is this:
I do like the styling of the 1st gen more. The little box can't be beat in that aspect, however, the quality and durability of the body, specifically the front and rear bumpers sucked. I had to have insurance work done 3 times in the four years I owned my TCM because of small, unavoidable road hazards. (hit a tire scrap on the DC beltway and it ripped half of my rear bumper off, and I hit a small critter on 270 and it took a chunk out of the front bumper, etc....) I don't think this would have happened with most cars. Its one thing to have a cool looking car, but I've seen a fair share of 1st gen Xbs on the road with partially missing bumpers, doesn't look too cool. The difference in power is also pretty drastic. I carpooled with my box for a couple of years, carrying 3 big dudes to work 180 miles round trip. It got slightly annoying sometimes trying to pick up speed on the freeway. Obviously the Xb1 has way more tuning options, but the 2nd gen has only been on the market for a few months and I'm hoping the aftermarket mods will start rolling in all in due time. I expect to see some pretty radical Xb 2's on the road in the coming years and I plan to be right there with them.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBlover
Originally Posted by Maytag
Since you asked.....

I think the xB1 is ugly. That, and it screams 16 year old's first car to me. It gives me the impression of being juvenile. Again, that's just my own thoughts, and as long as it pleases the owner, that's all that matters.

I do think that Toyota made the new xB lose it's edge, in order to broaden appeal. And that's good. It turned me into a buyer.

I would also agree that the ratio of modded vs. stock will likely be higher for the xB1 as opposed to the xB2. Again, I think it is in fact attracting a more mature audience.
how can you say the xB1 screams juvenile when Scions are TARGETED @ younger kids.
Well then, I guess you could say "Mission Accomplished".
Old 08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i dont see how someone can compare the xB to a pontiac aztec, not at all...the aztec is the ugliest thing ever conceived, gives me nightmares just thinking about it, but the xB1 is nice, unique, and oh yeah all of its body panels are painted, i mean whats up with that, who wants a half painted car, is that supposed to make it more rugged, i mean dang...lol
Old 08-26-2007, 08:06 PM

I love my Xb1 its unique. But I wouldn't mind having a new one. At first I didn't care for the smoothing out of the box but damn that front end is sexy! If I could I would have both.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove an xB1/5-speed for 50K miles and liked it. It was probably the best car I've owned since my Corolla I bought new in 80'. It handled well and got real zippy around the corners when I added the rear sway bar.

A few months ago I drove an automatic xB2 and was terribly disappointed. The trannie is a bad one and not well suited for anything in my opinion. It is rubbery shifting and completely removes an feeling of control you have over the vehicle. If you manually shift it, it's like going from one rubber band to the next.

Yesterday I drove an xB2/5-speed and was completely delighted with its performance. The manual made the car felt tighter and more controlled during cornering and it has enough reserve torque to do it's business effortlessly unlike the xB1. Unfortunately, the linkage is very notchy and has a strange "rubbing" feel to it when the stick is moved--you get used to it. I think with a rear sway bar this thing will be ready to fling around a bit--just not as much as the xB1.

The xB2 is certainly more "mature". It is roomier but feels more closed in. Gone is the Range Rover worldview. It's now more of a rolling pill box. With cruise control now standard, the car is interstate ready right out of the box.

In reality, the xD is the new xB...we all know that. But, the xB2 is ready for grown up stuff like getting four regulation sized folks in it and cruising the city with out huffing and puffing at higher rpms.

I don't think the xB2 is an evolution but something really different. The xD is evolutionary but still rides on the Yaris chassis.

BTW, I now drive a Yaris hatch which I like a lot. I can tell you my xB1 was screwed together better. I have several complaints to address. When the time comes it will be hard to decide on an xB2 with it yielding about 10 mpg less. I'm holding out to see if Toyota is going to bring in the Yaris RS with the 1.8L the xD and Corolla share for '09. That should be a really fun car with a lowered suspension.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

yeah i have to admit that i like the yaris hatch, that is a nice looking car...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
i dont see how someone can compare the xB to a pontiac aztec
I wasn't comparing them, just saying "Ugly 1 and ugly 2".
It's kind of like Michael Jackson and Rosie Odonnel. Both ugly, both very different, in Michael Jacksons case that should be veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry different. Now, I want a Gen 1, I can't ever see myself wanting an Aztec . Or Rosie.
Kiiski
Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the interuption but , michael can "beat it" too!
seriously Not! I don't find gen1 or gen2 ugly even slightly. Unique very much so.... But ugly naaaaaaaaaa! No more than a pug dog.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my gen1 for about 17 months and have put 18000 miles on it. I believe when comparing automobiles, ANY automobiles, one must compare the original mission of the autos.

My gen1 is "perfect" for the type of driving I usually do (90%city/10%interstate). For this mix I believe the gen 1 is hard to beat. It's got a tall roofline with great visibility in all directions, it's small and manueverable, gets great mileage, is built well, and has lots of content for the entry price. In essence, it's the perfect city car. I have taken long trips to Florida from SC (i.e. perfectly flat roads) and it handles these trips well. However, a trip to Indiana through the NC and North Georgia mountains drives home the fact it's not suited well at all to that type of driving.

All things balanced, as long as my type of driving remains the same I see no reason to trade up to a Gen2. However, if that changes, then I would probably head straight to the dealer and get a Gen 2.

I think they are both great cars.

That's the news according to Jim !
Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone drive a gen2 on mountainous roads Example Pennsylvania or Vermont, San Fran? How does it feel as to the engine or braking?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

coming from a turbo'd Toyota Matrix, i was looking for something similar in performance (actually the xB2 has more power than my matrix STOCK) and versatility. the whole 4door hatch scene grew on me ever since my matrix in 2002 (2003 model released early, just like the xB2). i love both generations of the xB, but i felt that 106hp was not sufficient to carry around cargo and/or friends. the 1st gen was an acquired taste, and fortunately that taste pointed me towards this 2nd gen, which i believe improved on the formula of the 1st. although this 2nd gen wasnt as eye catching as the first, it had everything i needed. more room, more power, and still a different looking car than anything on the road. also, i love the whole "chop top" styling of this generation compared to the range rover view of the 1st gen.

overall, if i could purchase a 1st gen just to re-enter the mod scene and relive my glory matrix days (late teen years for me) i would. however, im glad i got the 2nd gen. it has matured since its first time around, just like i have transitioned from bein a teen to a young adult.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XB2 vs XB1???

I liked my 1978 Subaru in 1980 but I wouldn't want to drive it today...

If you actually prefer the XB1 to the XB2 you obviously care more about making a social statement than driving a good car.

Quick Reply: xB2 Vs. xB1