Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB2 Vs. xB1

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see thats the problem with stating a thread like this.
you will always get complete loosers making hate statments
when themselves ride a HUFFY to work every day.

both cars are realy great cars made by a great car maker.
but thats were the likness ends. the 2 cars are in different makets tward different people wanting different things.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
XB2 vs XB1???

I liked my 1978 Subaru in 1980 but I wouldn't want to drive it today...

If you actually prefer the XB1 to the XB2 you obviously care more about making a social statement than driving a good car.
"Good" is a very subjective term. My friend has an '04 with nearly 100,000 miles and has done nothing other than scheduled maintenance and tires. I was say that is a "good" car.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My point was that the XB2 is better in every way other than style, which is completely subjective. Both XBs are 'good' cars for the money but I wouldn't go so far as to call them 'great' and Scion is still just a poor man's Toyota with a unique style.

HUFF on dis', swartz...
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, really. The original poster asked what second gen owners think of the first gen. If they completely hate the first gen, and would rather ride a schwinn, then so be it. Again, the love it or hate it decision really only matters to the person making the payments.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Maytag
Yeah, really. The original poster asked what second gen owners think of the first gen. If they completely hate the first gen, and would rather ride a schwinn, then so be it. Again, the love it or hate it decision really only matters to the person making the payments.
that is correct...i dont want to start a civil war with xB drivers but i just wanted to hear what they had to say, i have seen this topic many times on the xB1 lounge but not here, so keep it going, i am enjoying this thread and like every post...
Old 08-29-2007, 11:46 PM
SL Member

Yea, the xB2 has no potential for tuning at all...

Shew tin can car fan boys, you bother me.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK This is coming as a F/I xB1 owner. Infact one of the orignal owners. I have known about the Scion brand since I worked for Toyota the first time back in 2002/3 I remember there being a link on Toyota's site that said Scion.com I was like whats this? It was nothing but a colage of pictures of young people. So I was like ok, keep me informed.

Then in 2004 I was looking for a new car, and I remember going to a dealership and the sales guy trying to put me into a marron demo sebring 4cyl. I was just like this isn't me, I want something more tunable, But I didn't want an Eclipse, or a Cavi or a Honda. There were a lot of cars deamed as "girl cars". I wanted to be different. That's when I remembered Scion. So I looked it up online and was like, I kinda like this. It's so new, noone has it. I walked into the dealership the next day and looked at one, test drove it, I was like I kinda like this. Mind you I was driving a baby blue mazda 626 lx v6. So I was like order me a black manual. They were like there are none in the area. I was like order me one. Three month later, I get a phone call I had been waiting on while I was down at the beach. My car was in, I drove home, picked it up, and drove back to the beach the next day. It was awesome, I could sit my friend who was 6'4" in the back seat with no problems. then the parts explosion started. I could get every part I wanted for the car.

Then the itch started. I wanted projectors, with HIDs. I wanted different taillights cause the stock ones sucked. I wanted it to be faster cause 108hp was not enough for me. I was constantly taching 4000rpms in 5th gear. It was horible trying to merge or go around someone. I always had to drop it to 3rd gear and floor it. Then ZPI developed this kit, and a guy I knew had the prototype. I knew I had to have this kit. I loved the stelthiness of it. When he listed that he was selling it, I knew I had to have it. So I purchased it and installed it in april. Being that I install car audio, there were some audio tweaks I wanted to do to it. I wanted to put in real tweeters and speakers in the back doors since back in the hatch is pointless. My back kills me after 30 mins of riding around and I want something better. I want just a little more cargo space and some more power.

Now I am considering the 2008 xB2 in BSP. It has cruise control, (something I wanted), it has mirror turn signals (something else I wanted since the RS2) it has projectors, sport seats, a bigger engine, a proven motor at that, it is supposed to ride nicer and all around be a better car. When I was checking it out, I tried out the A/C and was like eh same as mine, then the cold blast hit me and I was like wow.

When I find the time, I will make it out to the dealership to test drive one in manual. When I find more time, I will convert my xB1 back to stock and see what its worth.

To be continued....
Old 08-30-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have followed this post, akindof up down hair pulling wining, yes that too lol, this is better cuz, mines faster, mines bluer and so on. Still a peach is delightful and a plum is delightful, also an orange when ripe too. neither fruit can claim absolute mastery over any of the others. No? How can one say I'm The best when each has endearing aspects? Your a townie Gen1. Highwayman Gen2 Gen1 is more original Get a ge1. tuner? gen1 horsepower Gen2. Please make this fun. Now I have to find someone who will let me drive a gen1 so I can tell what the difference is to me. Anyone in Mass. ?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 AM

pufbox that's a sweet gen2 you got there. I love the hash/stripe.. and damn I wanna get the wing for the back of mine LOL
Old 08-30-2007, 04:33 AM
SL Member

It's not my xb, but it clearly shows that the gen 2 can look very cool even with just a few mods.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danos_XBox
I have followed this post, akindof up down hair pulling wining, yes that too lol, this is better cuz, mines faster, mines bluer and so on. Still a peach is delightful and a plum is delightful, also an orange when ripe too. neither fruit can claim absolute mastery over any of the others. No? How can one say I'm The best when each has endearing aspects? Your a townie Gen1. Highwayman Gen2 Gen1 is more original Get a ge1. tuner? gen1 horsepower Gen2. Please make this fun. Now I have to find someone who will let me drive a gen1 so I can tell what the difference is to me. Anyone in Mass. ?
Perfectly stated. We all love our particular fruit yes?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by swartzautoman
DON'T GET MAD AT ME
IMO the xB2 is a vary good car from a very good auto maker. it has a strong engine and plenty of extra safty stuff,
llots of cargo space, and just en all aroung great car.

thats fine if thats what your looking for.

i got my 06.5 because it was a shaking fist against athority, it was in a different direction then any other auto maker was going. its a wild hot little tuner that even when it was stock it got all kinds of looks and questions from people that never even herd of scion.

the xB2 has jumped back to the main streem of cars, it blends in and compeats with all the other mini vans, SUVs, and such. it tried to take with it the hipe of the 1st gen, so you will see plenty of people doing rims, lowering, and CAI, ect, ect, ect

its not the same!
its not a 1st gen it never will be.
tricking out a 2nd gen is like tricking out en 87' chevy nova ( when it was new ) have you ever see en 87' nova.

try putting a 4" hood scoop, and big wide tires on the rear of that front wheel drive 4 banger.

just because it hase the nova name dosent mean it a muscle car.

Just because the xB2 hase the xB name dosn't mean its a tuner.
OMG are you kidding me?? That has got to be one of the worst car comparisons I have ever seen. I understand that you are bitter with the new XB but comparing it like that?? Pleezzz.

This will be quick, short and sweet.

XB1
Positives: Cooler, more hip design that flips off authority. I love it.
Negs: Build quality is weak & flimsy (in comparison), no standard cruise control, weak engine.

XB2
Positives: Merges the cool design with a more refined look. Addresses ALL of the weaknesses of the XB1. Tons of standard "upgrades". By far the most bang for the buck of ANYTHING out there.

Negs: Horrible arm rest design. I would have been happy with a couple more mpg. Maybe a 2.0 or 2.2 engine.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default Comparing my 06 xB to myGF's 08 xB

I no longer have my 06 xB1 but I still remember it fondly. My aunt totaled it when she rolled it. I remember it as being a fun. very practical and economical car that shouted, "Hey I'm ugly, but eff it, that's what makes me cool." I really liked it since it fit my needs in a car very well but there were a few things I didn't really care for:

-freeway merging
-going uphill

Still, it was a car I always recommended to others.

When the new Boxes came out I really didn't care for them. I thought they looked ugly, almost Saturn Vue'ish. I've seen a few with rims but they still didn't do it for me. I thought the pricing was okay, and not that bad considering how much more 'car' there was compared to the xB1. Also considering the gains in power and acceleration, the losses in economy weren't that bad either. Still, it was an ugly Toyota Vue to me. I'd rather have the new xD.

Then the tranny in our 03 Matrix XRS went out. So it became a matter of fixing a 120k mile car for $4000 or braving a new car payment. We went with a new car payment.
My salesman used the computer in the Scion showroom to look up the value of my now POS XRS and that gave me the opportunity to look at the new Scions. I turned around and fell in love with the 1st car I saw: a 2008 Classic Silver Metallic xB. Already equipped with TRD lowering springs and 19" gunmetal TRD rims with polished lips.
It really blew me away how much different the car looked with just rims and a drop. The car looks really low and wide with a chopped greenhouse. Just driving around the block and I can already feel a big difference in drivability. An awesome Pioneer deck, semi-auto tranny, cruise control, TRD rims, TRD springs, 4-wheel disc brakes and the car ending up not costing much more than my 06 xB did.

So for all my needs and wants in a car I'll have to say that the new xB is a much better car than the old one. It simply does everything better. Where the old Box felt like an Echo microvan, the new Box feels like a TC Wagon.
The only thing the xB1 has over the xB2 is that it's far and away a more iconic car. However real world usability matters more to me and that's why I pick the xB2.

What I don't like about the xB2:
-what happened to all the cool compartments and storage bins?
-you gotta be kidding me with the driver's armrest!
-no cargo nets? I really do use them!

What I friggin' love about the xB2:
-I can merge on the fwy and go uphill so much easier now!
-That Pioneer deck looks aftermarket!
-Nothing but compliments, "That isht is tight!"
-rear disc brakes FTW!
-tiptronic semi-suto! I'll prolly just leave it in D but cool beans anyway!

Now I gotta find a way to get rid of my 07 Yaris and get my own 08 xB!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:14 AM

Default my perspective...

Scion was developed and marketed toward the younger generation. The kind that spends money like crazy on items that have a percieved hipness to them. However, older people like me began to notice the features such as economy, adaptability, egress and price. And then something funny happened with the gen1 market. Scion began to sell them to older people.

For what it is worth I LIKE the 1st gen Xb. I own a salsa red. Course I'm young at heart. Ya see, Im an old man. Well semi old. I'm 40 and I bought the 06 Xb, based on economy and price. It is a perfect little car for the price range. Nothing else even compares IMHO. Mind you, I liked the boxy look, but I am not typical of my age group. Some got past the looks and bought for the features, but alot of them sighed and walked on.

Being older I notice things that the younger generation just doesn't have on their radar as importent. It did not take me long in the gen1 to start making a wish list of things I thought would perfect the model. Stuff that didn't fall into the LED, carbon fiber list. Things like ride, safety, power, refinement. etc...

Yesterday I picked up my BCM 08 Xb2. Virtually everything on my wish list was addressed. I still have my 06 Xb but in all fairness to both, the gen2 is not in the same class as the gen1. It is a totally different and better car. From ride to safety to noise to POWER.... The difference is night and day between the two of them. Personally I would have loved if they had kept the totally boxy look but when you think about how thier market changed you can't blame toyota. They will sell a ton more cars by rounding it a little. My wife hates the gen1 look. She actually likes the gen2. Thats increased market share right there. And selling twice the amount of cars will make up for selling half that many light kits. And thats why all the hype for the younger generation. Toyota knows older people like me will buy because of the value, but they are hoping to retain some of the youth who buy based on edgyness.

So while I prefer the gen1, I based my purchase on value. and the gen2 is a MUCH more refined car in ALL ways except its exteriour look (IMHO) and that gets my money.

Not sure if I am going to keep the 06 yet or not. It's sorta like the younger brother in the family. Cute and loveable, but not as much help when it come to handling the mature needs of adults. But I am kinda attached to it and I know it will be a collectable someday so maybe I will just wrap it and keep it for the business. But after driving the gen2, no way will it retain the daily driver slot.

Just my (not so humble) opinion.
Wayne
Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have owned a gen 1 xB until a drunk driver hit me, now i am looking at the new xB, everything said here is pretty much true and the new xB is a better car in terms of quality, performance, ride, and a much more refined package, but... I thinks scion did make a bit of a mistake in styling, yes it looks nice but it looks to middle aged adult to me, I am still going to most likely buy one because i need a car and it is the best option, but i have a hard time picturing myself a 17 year old driving the new xB, im afraid too many people will think i am driving my moms car, and that is definitly not cool. With a little personalization i think it might just be the car for me though.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just an opinion, don't get to ____ed at me:
The best thing about the first xb was its originality, the fact that a car company actually took a step and created a box on wheels was incredible. It was a bold move on the part of Toyota, especially to bring a more european and asian styled car to the US market, and expect it to sell, well, they took a gamble and came out on top for the most part. The Xb1 has always been a hate it or love it kind of car, but the best part about it was def. the fact that it was the first of its kind, sure there was the hummer and the mini, but they still had rounded effects to them didn't quite have the edginess of the lil box. I used to hate it when people would mistake my box for a Honda Element, because I never saw the similarities, but with the new Xb there are def. some true parallels of likeness. As stated by many of the other members, the new xb simply blends in the the crowd of other cars and doesn't stand out nearly as much as the first gens, in my opinion the only pro to the new ones is the engine, but thats just me, I'm not a fan of em, but to each their own....
Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to bust a bubble but "blend into the crowd" No No No & again No! the new xb does not blend. In its own way it does everything but. People at work stop me when I come out of the employee parking lot just to drool at it. I have given many salesman cards (from my salesman) to them and when they pull their tongues back into the mouth I give them the location of the dealer. As these are modded out they become even more distinctive. Both xbs are masterful in style. The 1st gen gave a jolt to the hohum bland world of cars. dared to be different. The 2nd continues to turn heads. Some turn to the gen1 as fuel efficient box of fun. Other heads turn to the family or individual that craves highway life in style. There is no better any more than pizza is better than panini. Each has a worthy place in the world. "vs." as the post stated is a leading connector for trouble. 1gen or 2nd gen which do you prefer/ would be more appropriate.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the 1st xB has more character than the current one eventhough I think it's butt ugly. Unfortunately, it's slower than watching grass grow.

The new xB reminds me of a picnic cooler and I don't find it too appealing. IMO, Toyota should've stayed with a boxy look and put the Corolla engine in it.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Without getting retro.... I think the new xB looks kinda like a gangster wagon from the side and being from the 1920's to the late 30's era or somewhere in there. The front end kinda looks like they wanted to get rid of the rocks hitting the windshield problem but still wanted box appeal in a way and did not know just how to finish it. Nice job though and I love the circles in the grill. I think both xbs are funky and cool. I don't see ugly at all. Does that make me a bad person? I stop and oogle at both xbs and the new version is moving like crazy since I got mine late July. Dealer says they come in, preped and sold. That's real good until they are everyday sights. Haven't seen one on the streets yet. I can say that just today and yesterday I've seen 5 1st gens. I get happy when I see one and a 1st gen cut in behind me today and went by me at a light when I turned. Every one of the 4 people in the car were looking at mine while I turned with smiles on their faces. I liked their car too!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 AM
SL Member

Regarding the look, I think it just replicates the direction japanese box style cars are going. The cube, the materia, all those boxy things are rounding out and becoming futurethinking cars. The XB looked so unique because it had, imo, a dated japanese look by the time it made it over here.... now they're trying to catch up and/or innovate the style of this genre of car....

I love 'em, they're almost two different breeds, but when you sit em side by side there are a ton of matured similarities.

Quick Reply: xB2 Vs. xB1