Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

xB2's Slow selling..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 AM
SL Member
SL Member

I just bought my '06 Xb and they are HARD to buy in Canada since they weren't sold here and aren't really legal to import.

I would have purchased and xb2 but did NOT want such a big engine. If it came with a 1.8 -2.0 litre engine it would be great
Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Bobb_Todd
I just bought my '06 Xb and they are HARD to buy in Canada since they weren't sold here and aren't really legal to import.

I would have purchased and xb2 but did NOT want such a big engine. If it came with a 1.8 -2.0 litre engine it would be great
I'm sure they are difficult, but I thought the DRL update to the US model was the only fix needed, and that, I understand, is a fairly simple modification.

Glad to see you got the xB Classic. You now have not only a real rarity in Canada, but a delightful vehicle.

Take care!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 AM
SL Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Tomas
I'm sure they are difficult, but I thought the DRL update to the US model was the only fix needed, and that, I understand, is a fairly simple modification.

Glad to see you got the xB Classic. You now have not only a real rarity in Canada, but a delightful vehicle.

Take care!
It can obviously BE done since there are a few here but the Registrar of Imported Vehicles [the agency you have to work with ] Says in it's list of eligible vehicles that NO Scions are allowed.

I bought my '06 from a woman who had it from new and only put 28k miles on it!

Last edited by Tomas; 11-23-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: format problem
Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bobb_Todd
It can obviously BE done since there are a few here but the Registrar of Imported Vehicles [the agency you have to work with ] Says in it's list of eligible vehicles that NO Scions are allowed.

I bought my '06 from a woman who had it from new and only put 28k miles on it!
Well, that's interesting. I thought mine was the only one in Europe until I saw a Toyota dealer in Liechtenstein who told me his friend brought an xB [classic] from Canada. Didn't they start selling Scion in Canada at some point?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drviolin
Well, that's interesting. I thought mine was the only one in Europe until I saw a Toyota dealer in Liechtenstein who told me his friend brought an xB [classic] from Canada. Didn't they start selling Scion in Canada at some point?
They never sold the original Scion xA, xB, or tC in Canada - the few that are there were imported individually, usually as used vehicles (but a few as new).

In the last two months the first legitimate factory authorized Scion dealerships were established in Canada, and they are, or will be, selling the newer Scion xB2, xD, tC, and iQ models.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see. Then his car is as Canadian as mine, especially considering I never removed my last NY inspection sticker.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drviolin
I see. Then his car is as Canadian as mine, especially considering I never removed my last NY inspection sticker.
Yes, his may have passed through Canada, but if it's a Classic Scion it was a US only model.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And thank God for that!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really don't think the "Scion Visionaries" who started peddling Japanese econo-cars to the US youth market were really that hot.

They originally were thinking the xA was going to be the big seller - the car that would be the real icon for Scion.

Instead, young America locked onto the xB.

When those same wizards of marketing were developing the 2nd gen, the asked over and over from those who were unsatisfied with the xB Classic - even those who didn't buy it - what they should change and what they did wrong.

Never did they ask what they did right or try to figure out why it had a cult following.

They took the Top Ten answers from those who didn't like the original and rolled the results into the 2nd gen. Scion actually did an amazing job of meeting every one of the xB haters needs - and came out with a car that the xB lovers, uh, didn't.
When they brought out the xB2, every change they did, was exactly what I wanted. I thought maybe they had gone into my brain and took down notes or something...seriously.

I'd suggest that Scion as a brand is sagging as a whole. Before the new tC was released, the xB2 was the brand leader by a wide margin.

October sales

Scion tC: 2162
Last month: 981
Year-to-date: 11,991

Scion xB: 1618
Last month: 1687
Year-to-date: 17,421

Scion xD: 874
Last month: 894
Year-to-date: 8476
Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by 808-213-503
When they brought out the xB2, every change they did, was exactly what I wanted. I thought maybe they had gone into my brain and took down notes or something...seriously.

I'd suggest that Scion as a brand is sagging as a whole. Before the new tC was released, the xB2 was the brand leader by a wide margin.

October sales

huge factor was the lame duck status of the old TC...sand the new one...umm lame
Old 11-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Red face

Originally Posted by 808-213-503

October sales

The Year-to-date sales figures above show that the xB2, in it's third year of sales will probably sell about 21,000 units by the end of the year.

As a comparison, here are the figures for the three years the xB Classic was sold:

23,300 First Year
34,500 Second year
88,732 Third year.

While the entire automotive market is down at the moment, third year sales of the xB2 are only a quarter of the third year sales of the xB Classic at a poor economy time when inexpensive, high value cars should be leading the pack.

While xB2 sales may be leading the pack amongst Scions, Scion, as a brand, has fallen farther and harder than the rest of the Toyota family, even with the tremendous recall problems affecting Toyota and Lexus sales (but not Scion).

All I can say about that is it appears Scion has lost it's way, and is losing it's audience by offering the wrong cars for it's demographic.

They are undeniably good, solid, reliable, cars with excellent value for their price, they just aren't attracting buyers as well as their competitors.

Year to date sales (October) for comparison:

Scion xB2: 1618

Kia Soul: 6137
Last month: 5346
Year-to-date: 55,161

(We can see that the 'Hamstars' are eating Scion's lunch...)

Unless Scion introduces an honest replacement for the xB Classic before I need to by a new vehicle, that new vehicle will not be a Scion - or probably even a Toyota.

Last edited by Tomas; 01-17-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-26-2010, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tough to beat warranty and the hell with the Soul, the Gencoupe is where it's at. And that cool Sportage now. well, I DO wonder what those will look lik ein ten years cuz I chuckle at the 1st gen ones around my area.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by JDMJim
tough to beat warranty and the hell with the Soul, the Gencoupe is where it's at. And that cool Sportage now. well, I DO wonder what those will look lik ein ten years cuz I chuckle at the 1st gen ones around my area.
(We have different tastes.)

The first gen Sportage (1995-2002 around here) was a very primitive design, mechanically, and handled horribly, but IMHO was the last of the decent looking Sportages.

The new one has about half the window area of the old ones, and I can't quite figure out what it mated with...
Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Year-to-date sales figures above show that the xB2, in it's third year of sales will probably sell about 21,000 units by the end of the year.

As a comparison, here are the figures for the three years the xB Classic was sold:

23,300 First Year
34,500 Second year
88,732 Third year.

While the entire automotive market is down at the moment, third year sales of the xB2 are only a quarter of the third year sales of the xB Classic at a poor economy time when inexpensive, high value cars should be leading the pack.

While xB2 sales may be leading the pack amongst Scions, Scion, as a brand, has fallen farther and harder that the rest of the Toyota family, even with the tremendous recall problems affecting Toyota and Lexus sales (but not Scion).

All I can say about that is it appears Scion had lost it's way, and is losing it's audience by offering the wrong cars for it's demographic.

They are undeniably good, solid, reliable, cars with excellent value for their price, they just aren't attracting buyers as well as their competitors.

Year to date sales (October) for comparison:

Kia Soul: 6137
Last month: 5346
Year-to-date: 55,161

(We can see that the 'Hamstars' are eating Scion's lunch...)

Unless Scion introduces an honest replacement for the xB Classic before I need to by a new vehicle, that new vehicle will not be a Scion - or probably even a Toyota.
I don't think it's a case of a failure of the xB2 at all. Pointing out that the original xB vastly outsold the xB2 is indicative of a captive market where there were no competitors. That the Soul is doing so well has much more to do with the much lower price, in no small part because of the disparity between how the Won is doing compared to the Yen against the Dollar: http://bit.ly/e7g8k4

If the whole Scion brand's sales have dipped while xB2 remains the leader of sales, that suggests that it's not a case of the xB2 failure over the original xB.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In reply I'll simply add that the xB2 was brought into the same healthy competitor free market that the xB left, and quite easily undersold the original, and that Scion marque sales have plummeted faster and farther than Toyota or Lexus...

That the xB2 NOW has competition does not affect it's initial sales as a brand new car, and the fall of Scion sales against Toyota sales does not reflect a difference in money values...

Again, the xB2 is a good car and a fine value for the money, it just didn't tap the zeitgeist in the way that the xB Classic did.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Yup, it was pretty much an immediate drop in sales as soon as the 2nd gen dropped in. Usually, sales go UP when a new model is released, and at that time there were not yet any competitors in the market yet.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Yup, it was pretty much an immediate drop in sales as soon as the 2nd gen dropped in. Usually, sales go UP when a new model is released, and at that time there were not yet any competitors in the market yet.
QFT
No matter how you slice and dice it the XB2 has been a disappointment.Now that I sold my V-Dub I have some money to play with for a project..think it will be an Xb2????? Naaaah doesn't have the aftermarket support or the excitement...I may wait to see how the IQ shakes out but not at $14,200 base if that is accurate
Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The iQ looks to be an impressive entry into the market, and a great City Car for those who don't need it to be an "all purpose" or "utility" vehicle. (UUV or "Urban Utility Vehicle" is a term that Toyota applied to the original xB. That fit it perfectly.)

If I could have an iQ as a second car, I'd love to have one, because it looks like fun. As a primary vehicle, though, it just doesn't have the necessary space.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The iQ looks to be an impressive entry into the market, and a great City Car for those who don't need it to be an "all purpose" or "utility" vehicle. (UUV or "Urban Utility Vehicle" is a term that Toyota applied to the original xB. That fit it perfectly.)

If I could have an iQ as a second car, I'd love to have one, because it looks like fun. As a primary vehicle, though, it just doesn't have the necessary space.
It certainly lacks the necessary space for a primary vehicle , but it's an infinitely better execution of the microcar concept than the Smart (which should really be called Silly or Stupid). I too would love to have one as a second car just for kicks.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iQ is a big gamble, but will sell well with the over 60 market i guess. I see a handful of Smart's around, So I would assume i would see as many iQ's. Oh boy, the jokes that will come with this cars name....But in all honesty, I like my car to have a slightly siffer ride, but, as I have stated before, have seen the 5Axis iQ drive and man did it buck around. didn't look comportable at all and could be hard on the bladder on those concrete joined highways.

and I don't think the urban look works on the iQ. This one has the 1 liter engine

this is how i would assume California will mod them

this is my favorite style for it

Quick Reply: xB2's Slow selling..