Notices

Anyone have Monroe Shocks on xB2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
My second car is a 93 Subaru Legacy wagon that came with air suspension. When I got it in 2010 the airbag struts were shot and replacements were $400+ each. Searching Subie forums turned up the proven practice of installing struts and springs from specific MY Outbacks or Foresters. I installed struts and springs from a 2000 Forester and they've been working great for a year and 15k miles now. Ride, handling and tire wear are all excellent. The Forester struts are longer and provide a 1.5" suspension lift which is the same as my previous air suspension was on the "high" setting so the geometry is very close. The Forester weighs within a hundred pounds of my Legacy, has very similar F-R weight bias and strut positioning so the spring rates are also very close. The only drawback is due to the 1.5" suspension lift and it's predictable effect on road handling but I wanted the extra ground clearance for off-road and snow use. There are shorter Impreza struts/springs that work equally well on my Legacy for those who want to keep the standard ride height.

I understand and appreciate your very valid point but merely wish to suggest that there are cases where swapping springs, shocks or struts from different vehicles can work beautifully. As you correctly point out though, it could also go quite wrong in some instances....
Yeah, I understand. I was just making statements so that other people (who are not as informed) could see this as well. The OP posted up another thread in which he removed something that he had no idea of....that's pretty dangerous
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I saw that thread too... worrying. I'm probably lucky that I haven't been sued yet for my TB PnP thread.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Yeah, I saw that thread too... worrying. I'm probably lucky that I haven't been sued yet for my TB PnP thread.
LOL, that's a bit different for now.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Superdog: Do you have pictures of your new tires? Because of my back issues, I'm going to be downgrading to 16" wheels again and would like to see how well those tires fill up the wheel wells. I'm looking into installing something like Rota Torque wheels due to their impressive weight being lighter than stock OEM steelies.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
LOL, that's a bit different for now.
I can envision the certified letter even now...

Moronicus Maximus (Plaintiff) vs ScionFred (Defendant)

The Plaintiff seeks punitive damages in the amount of $1,000,000 for pain and suffering caused when the Plantiff followed instructions contained in the defendant's "TB PnP" thread, as posted on the Scionlife automotive www forum, and subsequently ran over his beloved family pet "Jinx" in his driveway when the defendant's TB modifications caused his car to accelerate out of control when the defendant depressed the accelerator pedal...