Notices

Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:26 AM

Default Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar

I recently picked up my 2013 xB with TRD intake, TRD springs and shocks, TRD strut bar and rear sway bar and I'm noticing this clunking/clanking noise from the rear. At first I thought it was the stuff I had in the trunk so I removed everything in the trunk including the spare tire and jack. Then I cleared everything out of my glove box and armrest box and went out looking for a bumpy ride.

Now I'm pretty sure it's the rear sway bar, everything was installed by the dealer and I also did a little search about installing sway bars on this model, in a few threads I read the rear sway bar is supposed to be installed with the springs loaded? How important is this step and would this be the cause of the noise?

Anyways, I attached some pics, hope you guys can spot something I missed.
Attached Thumbnails Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar-img_0785.jpg   Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar-img_0787.jpg   Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar-img_0786.jpg   Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar-img_0788.jpg   Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar-img_0789.jpg  

Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 AM

*Update*

Ok, got my car back from the service dept today and they couldn't find the cause of the noise coming from the rear, I was told they checked the sway bar and made sure it was installed properly.

I'm starting to think it's the springs. Looking at the passenger side rear springs the top portion of the coil looks like it's touching while the driver side still has a little room in between.
Attached Thumbnails Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar-driversiderear.jpg   Clunking/Clanking noise from TRD rear sway bar-passengersiderear.jpg  

Last edited by OpTicaL; 02-02-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only thing I can think of is make sure all the bolts for the sway bar mounts are all tight as well as the strut bolts. Also take a look at the top of your struts and make sure that they are installed correctly with the parts from your OEM struts. One way to find the noise is to get a jack, lift up the rear one side at a time, push and pull on the wheel and see if you can replicate the noise.

I've had clunking noises from the rear suspension on two of my cars before. Once I forgot to tighten one of the sway bar mount bolts all the way tight, the other was installing aftermarket struts without transferring over all the top strut mount pieces from the OEM struts.

Emanuel
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.

It ended up being the springs. Put some rubber silencers on them and all is quiet now.

However I am concerned that the top coils on the passenger side rear spring are touching each other. I know this is normal for progressive springs but I'm worried that the springs are uneven, with the passenger side being lower than the driver side, because the driver side rear springs does not exhibit this noise, only the passenger side.

Last edited by OpTicaL; 02-25-2014 at 02:41 PM.