Notices

Clunking Noise on Rear Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 AM

Default Clunking Noise on Rear Passenger Side

I have a 2011 XB and just changed to a stage 2 brake set up and and NF210 springs about a week ago. 2 days a I started hearing a clunking noise.

What i have done so far. I jacked the car back up removed the wheels rechecked all the bolts and checked the brake pads and rotors (drilled and slotted) and put them back on the vehicle drove around the block and when I hit the brakes it started to clunk again. Any ideas out there??? I dont hear any noises from the drivers side or any other place.

thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may be a stupid question, but, did you make absolutely sure the springs are clocked correctly? Also, did the Tanabe springs come wrapped? I had a similar noise on mine when I was running springs. I had Sprint springs, they did not come wrapped and I had a weird clunky noise from the passes on the coils hitting against each other under compression. Also, I know if the spring is clocked wrong in the perch it can move under compression and make popping/clunking noises. Did you check to see if it happens under other conditions?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tealtoaster
It may be a stupid question, but, did you make absolutely sure the springs are clocked correctly? Also, did the Tanabe springs come wrapped? I had a similar noise on mine when I was running springs. I had Sprint springs, they did not come wrapped and I had a weird clunky noise from the passes on the coils hitting against each other under compression. Also, I know if the spring is clocked wrong in the perch it can move under compression and make popping/clunking noises. Did you check to see if it happens under other conditions?
Thank you for your input. Yes the springs are wrapped. there is a sleeve that covers the coils intermitently. I am not sure what "clocking" is, can you elaborate. The sound seem to initiate after the first time the brakes are applied. After that I hear an intermittent clunk even on a smooth road and at slow speeds.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clocking is where the bottom and final turn of the coil is positioned within 5 mm of the spring stop indentations of the bottom perch. If the end of the coil is shoved all the way into the stop it can cause noise. If that checks out, then maybe there is something inherently wrong with the brake kit on only that side. Pad is shifting during stops and bumps within the caliper perhaps? Thats the hard thing about trying to troubleshoot NVH, chassis, and mechanical noises while driving. If all else fails, have someone drive your car in a controlled setting (large empty parking lot) and pop the rear door while in motion and try to recreate the same condition while you listen and try to pinpoint the exact location of the noise. That's how I figured out I had a poor adhesive job on my factory hatch glass. When the dealer installed the OEM wing I started getting a "swarm of bees" in the hatch area at around 67mph. It was terrible, I finally had to let someone drive my car while I isolated the location and then was able to take it to the dealer to get the repair made with confidence and little hassle.