Notices

ghetto air ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ghetto air ride?

ok so i was considering getting bagged but a) didnt have the money and b) didnt wanna be screwed if it failed on me and . i had almost given up the idea of getting bagged and then stumbled on this http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f15/diy...ags-34771.html i am considering cutting stock springs or running on eibachs and i dont wanna bottom out over bumps or coming ut of my drive way so honestly considering this. opinions? also these are only the bags i was wodering about compressor and tank options Mahalos
Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

dont cut stock springs, they creak and sound like **** over every bump.

i wouldnt use "helper bags" because theyre not designed for constant use, they're "helper" because they aid in leveling for towing...not because you cant back out of your driveway

save up and get air ride, no substitute in trying to cut corners.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Olesen_Custom_Automotive

i wouldnt use "helper bags" because theyre not designed for constant use, they're "helper" because they aid in leveling for towing...not because you cant back out of your driveway

i would not be using this in constant use just to puff it up every now and then and the roads here the eibach springs would do just fine its just some drive ways and places i neede that little bit more clearance
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by Olesen_Custom_Automotive

i agree 100%
Old 05-14-2010, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you think that would just make it ride like 2x4 shocks lol
Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

listen, i am in the same boat. love to get an air ride, but absolutely no $$$ to spare. if you are handy with tools, you can install air ride on your car, using stock front struts, air tank, valves, etc, for less then $800.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was looking to go this route because the other driver of the car was concerned about the bag popping and being screwed because of that in this case of using the helper bags if a bag were to pop it ould just sit on the existing suspension i would wanna be running on the eibach sportlines i just need the little up every now and then not for a full set up
Old 05-17-2010, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuZuX808
i was looking to go this route because the other driver of the car was concerned about the bag popping and being screwed because of that in this case of using the helper bags if a bag were to pop it ould just sit on the existing suspension i would wanna be running on the eibach sportlines i just need the little up every now and then not for a full set up
IMO your idea is brilliant. Instead of running moderate drop springs like TRD, et al you could run the Sportlines and simply boost your ride height whenever desired using the bags. I agree that cutting your oem springs is bad but Sportlines with air assist bags is a great idea.

The only downside I can see is that you'll never get as low on springs as you could on coil-overs or bags but bags are far from a reliable option for a DD no matter how much you spend. I think your link is what's causing so much negativity about the idea. I don't like what that guy did either. It appears that he installed shorter springs off whatever car with adjustable spacers and bags to acheive a poor man's bag kit.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
IMO your idea is brilliant. Instead of running moderate drop springs like TRD, et al you could run the Sportlines and simply boost your ride height whenever desired using the bags. I agree that cutting your oem springs is bad but Sportlines with air assist bags is a great idea.

The only downside I can see is that you'll never get as low on springs as you could on coil-overs or bags but bags are far from a reliable option for a DD no matter how much you spend. I think your link is what's causing so much negativity about the idea. I don't like what that guy did either. It appears that he installed shorter springs off whatever car with adjustable spacers and bags to acheive a poor man's bag kit.
thank you ya see this is a cheap solution i just need that bump every now and then im not gunna be using this as a constant on bag thing imma be aired out and resting on the existing suspension when driving but just when i drop it any more than the TRD i know imma scrape in places so this is just to get me over that obstacle. im not gunna be flaunting it. i figure if this is used to lift trucks when towing or hauling it will def handle a little xB.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey man hitme up.. its not going to pop.. mine been in my car for 3 years.

Im selling some special Edition TRD springs hit me up.. Im always on maui.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to realize that with the Air Lift 1000s that you will not gain more than 1" in added height even fully inflated. I run them on my Honda Odyssey to help when I load it up for work. When fully inflated and the van is empty I gain about 3/4-1" of extra height. The key is that you only gain the height on the rear end, you cannot use these on the front struts. This means that if you air up the back the front will actually scrape worse as it will point down slightly more. As for a compressor you can just use a small electric unit like you would use for inflating float toys and *****. You cannot inflate the helper bags past 35 psi or they will burst.. Not saying don't try it but do realize that there are some serious limitations with trying to go this way.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuZuX808
thank you ya see this is a cheap solution i just need that bump every now and then im not gunna be using this as a constant on bag thing imma be aired out and resting on the existing suspension when driving but just when i drop it any more than the TRD i know imma scrape in places so this is just to get me over that obstacle. im not gunna be flaunting it. i figure if this is used to lift trucks when towing or hauling it will def handle a little xB.
As others have pointed out, this setup has definite limitations but if you think that temporarily adding 1" more ride height in back will accomplish what you're after, I see no problem with the setup you've proposed.

However if fully bagged is what you really want, this won't even be close since you can't do the front. GL.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why does no one believe you can have air on a daily driver?????? air runner with the work of Marshall at eight08customs is what I been running for like a year and a half almost. DAILY DRIVEN and no problems. dont do the ghetto thing, go big dog status!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drewsxb808
why does no one believe you can have air on a daily driver?????? air runner with the work of Marshall at eight08customs is what I been running for like a year and a half almost. DAILY DRIVEN and no problems. dont do the ghetto thing, go big dog status!
Totally agree. It's all about quality parts and more importantly a quality install.