Notices

Ksport technical thread? and maybe even other coilover help too.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ksport technical thread? and maybe even other coilover help too.

edit: might as well make this a ksport/coilover technical thread. It could help quite a few out.

original:
just wondering because I would like to have my coilovers not bouncing around like my friends corolla D: that was pretty horrible.... he was on ksports too.
If anything I am doing some reading now and it looks like preloading will actually make it more bouncy. still doing research still but please chime in on what you guys can help me with.

NVM: looks like I won't be setting any preload, lol, how can I make sure to reduce bounciness in the coils though?

Last edited by Kingshawty12; 09-30-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coilovers take a lot of playing around with and fine-tuning. How tight you have the shocks plays a big part in it. If you wind them to tight its hell to loose its hell as well. Playing with the rebound rate on top of the shock itself helps a lot. It really comes down to messing around with things. I would say get the coil where you want it as far as tightness of the spring then play with the rebound rate. rebound will effect the bumpiness a lot because it will slow the shock down or speed it up from moving all around. BUT its going to be hard to get a comfy ride considering we have a solid axel in the back. If we had independant suspension then it would be completely different. I had coilovers and got rid of them almost right away because how horrible the ride gets.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 AM

when "slammed" the only option you have is if you have coilovers with adjustable damping. and even at that a truly slammed ride you will need the damping fully stiff so it will ride like poo. coming from someone who is maxxed out on d2 coils, when your slammed you gotta live with the terrible ride. BUT if your intention is to do a slight drop and not a crazy slam, then nicer coilovers with adjustable damping will be your answer. on my d2s when i raise them up to more of a 2" drop, they ride almost as nice as stock. its amazing how well nice coilovers perform. dont go with ricelands or ksports. get something with adjustable damping and you will still have a comfy ride. trust me
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got ksports and love them, with a 2" drop and adjusting the stiffness they feel better than stock on Colorado roads. FYI D2s and ksport are the same company the only difference is the name on the box and the color.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have racelands and love them.....Can't slam them as low as all the others but works great for my Daily Driver Delivery Car
Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't get to read the thread but how is comfort compared to other coilovers? I had a set of scionpro and they destroyed my comfort level. I know these are less stiff of a spring rate then most just curious to those who have how they feel comfort wise.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just going to set my preload to zero, and @oreoremix theres your problem right there xD Scionpro's are stiff from what i have heard... as soon as i get a new front shock ill let you know how they ride, might throw the rears on the check if one side is blown, it is slower than my other when going back up.
@shadezz, yup thought about the racelands but I wanted coilovers for low..... plus I paid around the same price after i would replace the blown front shock. so im happy
@goldtoaster, haha i know they are pretty much the same
@filthyz, ksports are 32way adjustable bro and as goldtoaster said, pretty much the same coilovers.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

My coils are a little bouncy, but they're damn near maxed out. I'm actually looking into getting stiffer springs.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear end clicking,

My rear end is making clicking noises lol I am using oem rubber washers and my nut won't screw down anymore Onto it... I am not using the silver washer that came with the ksports, should I be?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I think I used the washer, then the OEM rubber stuffs. OEM washer on top of that. I can't remember.

I threw them on my car like this picture shows the top:
Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so my coils do not have that rubber thing it only had two washers per shock in the rear :/ maybe that has quite a bit to do with my clicking.....
and do you have a crawler? I spy axial 30w shock oil >:D
on the ksport site if its the top mount bushing, its only $5 ill be picking up a couple...
Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Not my pic. I do believe it's dragit's. I have too many expensive hobbies to warrant any more!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi I have ksport control pro Coilovers and I wanted to know if I have to unbolt my rear shock to adjust my rear Coilovers ? Thank you
Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my ksports near "dumped", and have the damping set to fully soft, as I live in the city with roads that are less than perfect. My car rides very near oem.

Since ksports are threaded throughout the body, lowering the car doesn't affect the spring rate at all, it is up to the user to adjust damping and set the "feel" of the car.

Name:  IMAG1263_zps16f3a4a5.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  120.0 KB

Now, before I go out to the backroads, I give the ***** a few clicks to my desired settings, and the feel of the car completely changes. It doesn't soak up the bumps anymore, it is MUCH stiffer and quicker to respond.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by domoboiz
Hi I have ksport control pro Coilovers and I wanted to know if I have to unbolt my rear shock to adjust my rear Coilovers ? Thank you
Which part, the shock or the spring? Try without unbolting. If it doesn't work well for you, unbolt. I haven't unbolted a thing in the rear to make adjustments.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

click, click, click, maybe i need to find someone with a pneumatic drill, haha I can't ever seem to tighten stuff enough.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Mine made an audible sound a while ago and it drove me nuts. Turned out it was the lower shock bolt.
The KSports and D2BD coils don't provide instructions. Kinda lame.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the help. It's the coil the locking ring doesn't want to spin.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Mine made an audible sound a while ago and it drove me nuts. Turned out it was the lower shock bolt.
The KSports and D2BD coils don't provide instructions. Kinda lame.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/8041290520/http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/8041290520/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/pjurisprudencia/, on Flickr

No bueno I need the bushings and it's still making noise all tight.
OEM rubber from the shock cover ^^ temp until i make my order on Ksport, what size strut should i buy?

Last edited by Kingshawty12; 10-01-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The shock is probably poking all the way through the body because there's nothing to prevent it from doing so.
Why are you buying new struts?

Quick Reply: Ksport technical thread? and maybe even other coilover help too.