Notices

Raceland Coilover Install help....please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Default Raceland Coilover Install help....please.

Hi All - I have been mostly lurking and trying to learn as much as I can before I started modding my box. I have read every single thread on the Raceland coilover install. I even spoke with Raceland and they could not give me a clear answer as they have't had an XB in the shop yet to write up quality instructions. My coilovers were bought and shipped directly from Raceland and did not include instructions.

I am having trouble with the rear shock and determining what OEM parts I need to reuse. They ship from Raceland in the following order from bottom to top:

Shock body (with lower mount)
Shock shaft
dust cover (rubber boot)
special washer
speacial spacer
nylock nut

If you run the shock shaft through the body and into the hatch, the shaft just flops around in the larger hole. It would appear that you need the OEM shock bushing that sorrounds the shaft to eliminate play. HOWEVER the OEM bushing is attached to the OEM dust cover and upper bump stops. It looks like you would also need the washer to allow the shock to compress when you hit a bump - otherwise the shaft would just poke up through the mounting hole and you would not get any compression.

Can anyone help me with the order of how the new parts go in and what OEM parts I will need to reuse? I need to see what should be in the outside of the body in the wheel well versus the inside of the hatch.

I have searched and searched on this but I can't seem to find good instructions.

Thanks in advance.
-Rob

Last edited by phant0m_jester; 06-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I did with mine is used a shock bushing I had from an older set of shocks. If you go to your local parts store you should be able to get a set for fairly cheap. What Racelands wants you to do is trim the stock plastic housing and run that over your new shock. But to me that looks tacky. I put mine on between the washer and the body spacer. Then the new nut was the only thing inside the car.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM

ok - thanks so much - I thought I was crazy at one point. A rear shock install is typically very straight forward. So, basically after the shock body, you have the boot\dust cover, then the larger special washer, then the OEM bushing, and then the Raceland spacer?

Instead of cutting up the OEM dust cover (yes, it would look tacky) would I use something like this from Autozone?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Another quick question - did anyone get instructions with their purchase from Raceland? I didn't get anything :-(
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I have the shock body. Then the dust boot that comes with the kit. The the bushing sitting on there and the larger washer on too to keep the bushing from pushing through the body. After that it's through the body and the spacer is next it keeps the shock in place from falling down through the body the the nut.

I used something like this from moog.

Just go to the parts store and tell them you need a shock absorber bushing. If you take the shock with you they should be able to find one that works.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phant0m_jester
Another quick question - did anyone get instructions with their purchase from Raceland? I didn't get anything :-(
No raceland doesn't send instructions it's stupid but the install is straight forward enough I guess. I emailed them about the bushing issue when I installed mine and they said they will look into it but I guess not
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM

ok - I feel like such a noob...please forgive me for being super dumb on this one....so here is a pic where I labeled the parts. Can I assume that the washer is outside the body in the wheelwell, and then I need the new bushing (in place of OEM) on top of that, correct? This should keep the strut in place in the mounting hole - or am I crazy? Then the spacer and nut are used on the inside to lock the rod in place....

Thanks again for being patient!
Attached Thumbnails Raceland Coilover Install help....please.-coilover_rear.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can see it that kit you posted is the exact kit I used.

Here's some pictures hopefully they help.

As you can see I believe I have it raceland washer, bushing, car body. In the wheel well
Then second bushing bushing, washer, then spacer, then nut.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also see I need to clean my undercarriage lol it's raining like crazy here the last couple days. So excuse the dirt
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Got it! Perfect! I live in RI - you should see the crap I collect under there during the winter.....farkin' nasty

Thanks again !!!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem. Happy lowering lol