Notices

Sportlines and stock shocks, life expectancy??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:20 AM
SL Member

Default Sportlines and stock shocks, life expectancy??

I tried to search but didn't find what I was looking for. I want to add Eibach sportlines to my xB with the stock shocks. What kind of life can I get from the stock shocks? I have some other mods I want to add before doing shocks, maybe 2-3 months.

Also, I know you are supposed to wait a few hundred miles for the springs to settle before an alignment. The xB is not my daily driver so a few hundred miles could take a while for me to rack up. Will sitting in the garage make the springs settle just as quickly?

Thanks for any help!

-JB
Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have the NF-210's ( Drop F-1/R-1.7) and little over a year and no problem's. And a friend of mine has the DF-210's (Frop F-1.7/ R 2.2) over a year on stock shocks and 18's and no problems what so ever. Im sure with the Eibach's you def should not have a problem.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eibach's will not settle they have a 1 Million mile warrenty against sagging. Alignment at 2 weeks after most spring installs is enough time to wait.
I'm on Eibach's and have over 20,000 miles with no problems on the stock shocks/struts. they will wear/fail quicker because they are compressed and cant fully travel there designed length to dampen the ride. How long depends on the type of driving you do.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Questions like this aren't really good ones

It depends on where you drive and how you drive. That's pretty much it. The progressive nature of the springs helps the damper dampen it, so the slightly stiffer spring rate shouldn't really be too much of a problem.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 AM
SL Member

Thanks for the input. Will I need camber bolts for the alignment in the front, or is there enough stock adjustment?

-JB
Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For some reason when I went lower I did not need an allignment.

I took it to the dealership and asked them to check it and said it should need it.and they said it did not need it. I have not felt any difference in the allignment anyways. I dropped the box on DF210s so hopefully you might not have to either with the Eibachs...
Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just because you don't feel any difference doesn't mean that there ISN'T a difference.

After you installed the springs, how long did you wait until you asked to get an alignment? I mean, it doesn't matter how much you lowered your car because normally you need an alignment afterwards, but if you waited longer the springs might have settled in more and then you would have DEFINITELY needed an alignment.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

From personal experience, I HIGHLY recommend installing new shocks/struts with lowering springs. It saves you time and money because you'll eventually have to uninstall everything again.

I finally installed my trd shocks/struts this past weekend and I wish I had done it when the lowering springs went in.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Just because you don't feel any difference doesn't mean that there ISN'T a difference.
x2! After my NF's went on, it drove perfectly straight, but I knew to have it aligned anyway. The alignment sheet showed that my front toe-in was 3x the outside tolerance before the alignment. It would have driven fine, but I would have wasted my tires in no time.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Originally Posted by FromTheOld
x2! After my NF's went on, it drove perfectly straight, but I knew to have it aligned anyway. The alignment sheet showed that my front toe-in was 3x the outside tolerance before the alignment. It would have driven fine, but I would have wasted my tires in no time.
Thanks for the support

3x the outside tolerance before alignment....on NF210s. DF210s offer a larger drop. Imagine that...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anytime you touch the tires, wheels, or suspension you should get an alignment... that is unless you don't mind burning rubber a lil sooner..... Tires are expensive, i'd get the alignment.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
From personal experience, I HIGHLY recommend installing new shocks/struts with lowering springs. It saves you time and money because you'll eventually have to uninstall everything again.

I finally installed my trd shocks/struts this past weekend and I wish I had done it when the lowering springs went in.
I was going to put in new shocks but the Eibachs will only be on for one summer. Coilovers will be going on next spring.

-JB
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had Tanabe DF's, which are lower than NF's, and had it for over 20k miles.

No problems..

now i have tein basics so I won't know..