Notices

Wheel Speed Sensor Broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Wheel Speed Sensor Broken

Hi All,

I installed a set of Eibach Sportline spings last night (pics to follow at some point). All went fine, except that I broke the speed sensor wire for the front passenger side wheel. Now I get the TRAC OFF, VSC and ABS lights constantly on in the dash.

Did a search around the site, but nothing recent and nothing descibing how to replace.

Has anybody replaced one of these sensors? How hard was it? How much was the part?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Im sure everyone is going to want to know this. How did you brake that wire? I would check with the dealer ship, that is about the only way you might find one.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 PM

I broke it by not paying attention, and forgetting to disconnect the bracket from the flange on the strut. I loosend the big bolts that hold the strut the hub carrier, and when I removed them, the strut, under pressure from the spring, spun around about 1/4 clockwise, and snapped the wire where the sensor is mounted to the carrier.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Man that sucks. I don't know exactly what it looks like (going to install my springs this weekend) but if it's from the main harness that might be a huge pain to replace. It might be easier to solder/splice the wires back together and rewrap them, if there is enough wire on both sides to do that. Otherwise, you'll have to get that section of the wiring harness. Again, I'm just throwing it out there because I'm not sure where exactly the wire is broke.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Echo
SL Member

When i was getting my camber/alignment done, they were tightening a bolt on my 04 xB and pinched this wire. To fix it they just got it out of the bolt and resoldered the wire and taped it up and gave me a nice discount IDK where yours is cut though, but from what you're saying, it sounds like you busted the sensor is this true?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Unfortunately, th break occured right on the sensor, a bit of the plastic housing broke off with it. I was thinking that replacement would be simple cut and splice with a new sensor, but I don't know. Called a dealer yesterday, the part is $207.00, needs to be special ordered, and since so new, would come direct from Japan, with no esitmated date of arrival. I think I will poke around with it this weekend and see if I can somehow rig a connection, but I think will be a waste of time. I may just have to wait it out and pay the dealer to do it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Aside from that little mis-hap, the car looks and drives great with the Sportlines.
I will post some pics at some point, but not until I feel better. For info, before and after measurements are Ground to top of wheel/fender arch:

Front before Front after
26 1/4 inches 25 inches.

Rear before Rear after
28 3/4 inches 26 1/4 inches.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Echo
SL Member

post up a pic of how bad the break is. And find out what the part number is for me, i may be able to help you out, just pm me.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:16 AM

Can't figure out how to post the pics directly here, so take a look in my gallery there are 2 pics, one of the sensor and one of the broken wire. Can't find a part number. Wondering is this is the same sensor on all later model Toyotas and maybe could find one in a wrecking yard?

Thanks!