Notices

xB2 Suspension Compilation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB2 Suspension Compilation

I've ordered everything from least overall stiffness to most overall stiffness based on spring rates, then left the unconfirmed ones at the bottom of each category.

◄◄
Click Here
to Add your Vehicle to Garage

Lowering Springs
Performance Based:
-These springs are springs that perform similar to stock, whether slightly worse or slightly better. Most don't offer dramatic drops, but this is good because dramatic drops hurt the handling of the xB2 due to our MacPherson Strut suspension geometry.

Brand and Model | Drop Rate (inches, Front/Rear) | Spring Rate (kg/mm, Front/Rear)
Tanabe NF210 1.0/1.7 2.6/2.6
Tein H-Tech 1.1/2.1 2.9/3.8
Hotchkis Sport 1.4/2.375 4.5/3.9
Road Magnet 1.25/1.75 4.6/5.3
Eibach Pro-kit 1.0/1.2 Unconfirmed
TRD 1.0/1.5 Unconfirmed
H&R Sport 1.4/1.3 Unconfirmed

Looks Based:
-These are based for flashy looks and all. These have some negative effects on handling but they look "good".

Brand and Model | Drop Rate (inches, Front/Rear) | Spring Rate (kg/mm, Front/Rear)
Eibach Sportline 1.7/2.3 Unconfirmed
B+G Sport 1.6/2.2 2.34/2.65
Tanabe DF210 1.7/2.1 2.4/2.7
Tein S-Tech 1.7/2.2 3.1/4.1
Sprint 2.0/2.0 Unconfirmed

Aftermarket Dampers
Tokico
TRD
KYB (Front Set Only, for now)

Aftermarket Stabilizers
TRD Rear
Eibach Front and Rear
Hotchkis Front and Rear

Coilovers
Raceland - 4.5 kg/mm Front, 2.7 kg/mm - 5 kg/mm Rear (Progressive Rear Spring Rate)
RSR - 5 kg/mm Front, 3.1 kg/mm Rear
Tanabe Sustec - 5 kg/mm Front, 4 kg/mm Rear
Tein Basic - 5 kg/mm Front, 4.9 kg/mm Rear
Cusco - 6 kg/mm Front, 5 kg/mm Rear
KSport Kontrol Pro - 7.5 kg/mm Front, 4.5 kg/mm Rear
KSport GT Pro - 7.5 kg/mm Front, 4.5 kg/mm Rear (this uses an Inverted design)
D2Racing - 7.5 kg/mm Front, 4.5 kg/mm Rear
Scionpro (D2BD) - 8 kg/mm Front, 3 kg/mm Rear
Megan Racing Street Series - 10 kg/mm Front, 8 kg/mm Rear or 5 kg/mm Front, 4 kg/mm Rear (need to confirm)

Misc Parts
TRD Strut Bar
Tanabe Strut Bar
Tanabe Underbrace
Cusco Strut Bar
DC Sports Strut Bar

I'll keep track of this thread so the list is "as complete as can be".
Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a quick question. How can something possibly worse than stock and also not have negative effects. If they're worse than stock, by definition wouldn't it have negative effects?
◄◄Click Here to Add your Vehicle to Garage
Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TLS317
Just a quick question. How can something possibly worse than stock and also not have negative effects. If they're worse than stock, by definition wouldn't it have negative effects?
True, I guess I phrased it in a confusing way. Haha. I've edited it.

Basically stock is one of the best because it has the appropriate amount of suspension travel, it matches the valving of the OEM shocks, and is probably stiffer than most lowering springs. As far as I can tell, it's linear too. While this is speculation, it looks to me like the DF210/NF210 Springs are softer than stock. Other than that, they don't have the negative effects of the drastic lowering springs because those drastic drops go against how a MacPherson Strut works. MacPherson strut suspensions don't like big drops due to a massive number of things. As for the possible "Roll Center Adjuster" argument, those are just band aids, and even so, those aren't even made for our cars.

Anyways, for the whole Linear vs Progressive debate, that can be googled. Almost all would agree that linear > progressive for performance, and can be as comfortable with correctly matched dampers.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

◄◄
Click Here
You mentioned that the OEM's are linear as far as you can tell, is this based on anything? Are you suggesting the TRD springs aren't won't be designed as as well as the OEMs even though they're both toyota engineered?

Any opinions on the Eibach Pro kits? Those are ones I've heard the best things about. Also any thoughts on the Tokico's. I had them on my old Honda and they were great but basically I've heard nothing about them for the xB2.

Anyway. Thanks for the right up. Looks to be a good resource.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TLS317
You mentioned that the OEM's are linear as far as you can tell, is this based on anything? Are you suggesting the TRD springs aren't won't be designed as as well as the OEMs even though they're both toyota engineered?
Any opinions on the Eibach Pro kits? Those are ones I've heard the best things about. Also any thoughts on the Tokico's. I had them on my old Honda and they were great but basically I've heard nothing about them for the xB2.

Anyway. Thanks for the right up. Looks to be a good resource.
OEM's seem linear to me because they look linear (coil spacing all looks the same, diameter is the same throughout, and most OEMs go with linear springs). Also about the TRD springs, there's not enough info on them to really know if they're worse than stock or not.

As for the Eibach Pro Kit, there was some discussion awhile back in a thread for NF210s and the Eibach Pro Kit is a shorter spring that lowered less than the NF210s, which leads it to be stiffer than the NF210s. This would also lead me to believe that the Pro Kit is lighter as well, and less unsprung weight is good stuff. I think NF210s are more of a comfort spring more than anything.

For Tokicos, the HP series is an OEM replacement. I talked to a Tokico representative and he says it can handle up to 20% variance of stock easily, but we all know that's a vague number. Most of the springs are either soft and progressive so honestly, I think that the Tokico Dampers can handle anything that's out there, but don't take my word for it, haha. I hope that Tokico makes lowering springs that are linear to match with the HP dampers or something, cause then that would be pretty cool. I'm not really sure if the TRD springs are progressive or not, but if they are, that puts them in the same category as the NF210 and Eibach Pro-kit for me.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

◄◄
Click Here
yes Eibach pro's are lighter than stock, unsprung wieght is evil replaced my OEM with HP Tokico's at 25K when changed to pro springs. not many shock manufaturer's for our XB so I suspect the HP's are close to OEM, TRD's at best. rumor mill says they are made by OEM supplier KYB
Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Tokico HPs are stated to be an OEM replacement line with a small bit more aggressive valving, and I'm betting that the TRDs are the same way. Bilsteins used to make some TRD dampers in the past, but the TRD dampers are twin tube, not monotube, so I have no idea who makes them.

◄◄
Click Here
Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

◄◄
Click Here
The weight you save in a spring is going to be minimal...and it's not really 100% unsprung weight. The only feasable places to reduce unsprung weight on our cars is in the wheels/tires and brake rotors. Significant reduction could me made in the knuckle and the LCAs, but I doubt anyone will offer aluminum knuckles and tubular LCAs for our toasters.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

◄◄
Click Here
Bones. true, weight savings from springs are technically not 100% unsprung. Maybe half but every little bit helps
Old 03-14-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VonStarINC
oh weird, how did I miss those?
anyways they're officially out, a corporation doesn't make a product and RnD it on a car if they aren't going to make money on it ;D
If you read the thread, the guy only has prototypes. They aren't out in production yet. Hell, specifications weren't even given yet. I'll add them to the list when there is more info.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...4/DSC05027.jpg
prototype means they made the piece for the car, if there is anything wrong with the tests it will be fixed and then released, I did read the post.

IDGAF what you throw up on here, I know how to do my research, but they're comin out ;D
Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VonStarINC
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/socalf4/DSC05027.jpg

prototype means they made the piece for the car, if there is anything wrong with the tests it will be fixed and then released, I did read the post.
IDGAF what you throw up on here, I know how to do my research, but they're comin out ;D
Already saw the thread, as I said before, but there are no specifications given out yet. I'd rather not post until they give them out.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Lowering Springs
Performance Based
Brand and Model Drop Rate (inches, Front/Rear) Spring Rate (kg/mm, Front/Rear) Nature
Eibach Pro-kit 1.0/1.2 Unconfirmed Progressive
Tanabe NF210 1.0/1.7 2.6/2.6 Progressive
Tein H-Tech 1.1/2.1 2.9/3.8 Progressive
TRD 1.0/1.5 Unconfirmed Unconfirmed
Road Magnet 1.25/1.75 4.6/5.3 Unconfirmed
Hotchkis Sport 1.4/2.375 4.5/3.9 Progressive

Looks Based
-These are based for flashy looks and all. These have some negative effects on handling but they look "good".

Brand and Model Drop Rate (inches, Front/Rear) Spring Rate (kg/mm, Front/Rear) Nature
Eibach Sportline 1.2/2.2 Unconfirmed Progressive
Tanabe DF210 1.7/2.1 2.4/2.7 Progressive
Tein S-Tech 1.7/2.2 3.1/4.1 Progressive
B+G Sport 1.6/2.2 2.34/2.65 Progressive
H&R Sport 1.4/1.3 Unconfirmed Unconfirmed
Sprint 2.0/2.0 Unconfirmed Unconfirmed

Aftermarket Dampers
Tokico
TRD

Coilovers
Cusco - 6 kg/mm Front, 5 kg/mm Rear
KSport Kontrol Pro - 7.5 kg/mm Front, 4.5 kg/mm Rear
KSport GT Pro - 7.5 kg/mm Front, 4.5 kg/mm Rear (this uses an Inverted design)
D2Racing - 7.5 kg/mm Front, 4.5 kg/mm Rear
First off, GREAT THREAD!

I'm just trying to figure out why the Tein S Techs are not considered a "Performance Based" spring. On the contrary, it is the MOST stiffest spring that is not a coilover.

In reference to the picture below, I was rubbing pretty badly on my DF210s, despite all that wheel gap. To resolve the rubbing, I chose to replace the DFs with NFs, hoping the height change would eliminate the rubbing, but it only alleviated it, even after rolling my fenders and a pull.

What I am coming to realize is that it wasn't necessarily the height of the drop that was the problem, but more likely due to the SOFT springs.

Tanabe NF210 1.0/1.7 2.6/2.6 Progressive
Tanabe DF210 1.7/2.1 2.4/2.7 Progressive

Do you guys think if I would still rub if I had a stiffer spring like the Teins with same height drop as the DFs?

Tein S-Tech 1.7/2.2 3.1/4.1 Progressive

Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was looking at the hotkis tvs 1 package. Im running stock wheels n tires. might up grade the tires at some point but sticking with the 16s for now. would the drop on the HK kit cause any problems? i heard alot aobut the DF series lowering springs as well. any comparisions?

◄◄
Click Here
Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zsanz
what struts are you running?
Hey Zsanz, didn't mean to ignore your question but I'm running stock shocks...

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
It lowers the front too much. Our front has a MacPherson Strut Suspension.
Got it... the spring isn't necessarily in question, it's the combo with the strut. Thx. Is TRD still our only choice?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_Unit
Hey Zsanz, didn't mean to ignore your question but I'm running stock shocks...

Got it... the spring isn't necessarily in question, it's the combo with the strut. Thx. Is TRD still our only choice?
MacPherson Struts aren't a brand, they're a design type. The way they are designed makes it so that it is not good to lower the car too much. I won't type out all the "technical junk", but you can read about it all over the internet.

TRD/Tokico are the two choices from what I can see. After that, the only other dampers available are coilovers....
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

cleaned up per op's request ..carry on
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ADD RS-R Best I Coilover System @ $1999.99
Recommended Front Drop Range - (-20mm ~ -60mm)/(-0.8in ~ - 2.4in)
Recommended Rear Drop Range - (0mm ~ -65mm)/(0in ~ -2.6in)
Front Spring Rate - 5.00kg (279lbs)
Rear Spring Rate - 3.10kg (173lbs)

Also Add STD(standard) R1 Suspension System to the list...

"The Std R1 suspension system is the best choice for a conventional car driven on a day to day basis. You can lower your vehicle without affecting the travel of the suspension. Moreover you can easily adjust the damping force to increase the performance of the suspension in order to deal with different road types and conditions. This suspension system provides performance without sacrificing comfort; it provides everything you need to enjoy driving your car in the street and on the track without the added confusion of too many adjustments.
  • Adjustable dampening force (compression and rebound) *
  • Std exclusive scaled system for easier installation
  • Full length adjustment system on lower mount
  • Separate ride height and spring pre-load adjustments
  • Forged aluminum top mount for double wishbone applications
  • Steel lower mounts on some applications
  • Aluminum alloy construction for spring seat and locks
* Compression and rebound: Each application has a different number of manual damping adjustments
DAMPING FORCE ADJUSTMENT

All the suspension systems from the R series provides a multi-positional manual damping force adjustment. Each application has a specific number of adjustments. To increase rigidity, you turn clockwise, whereas to decrease rigidity, you turn counter-clockwise. Set your handling and ride as comfortably as you like.

AFFORDABLE

STD R1 retail price starts at $1195.00. This is an affordable price for an adjustable high quality mono-tube suspension system that has full length adjustment by the lower mount and manual damping force adjustment."
Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
SL Member

Does anyone know what company have "yellow" lowering springs ?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tmkpres
Does anyone know what company have "yellow" lowering springs ?
not sure what company has yellow lowering springs but i know std suspension has yellow springs on their coilovers

Quick Reply: xB2 Suspension Compilation