Notices

18" vs. 19" Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 18" vs. 19" Ride Quality

I picked up my XB today. I am going to get new tires and wheels this week. It seems that most people are running 19", but I love the way it rides now. Do the XB2's ride ok with 19's? I realize I have to give up some ride quality, but I alos don't want it to ride like a tank. Also what does Staggered Wheels mean. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think staggered wheels is when they have different wheel sizes in the front than the rear.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Staggered wheels have a different width from front to rear. So rears are wider and have more of a lip. Only reason for doing this with a FWD vehicle is aesthetics. It looks cool, but limits how you can rotate your tires, thus reducing tire wear.

If you don't plan on lowering your xB (which I would and have) you could run 19's with the 235/35R19 tire. Heck, you could probably even run that with mild lowering. The difference in 18" tire size to 19" tire size is fairly minimal.

I'd think they'd ride pretty similarly.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks I am planning on lowering it. Does the TRD kit work well?

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Staggered wheels have a different width from front to rear. So rears are wider and have more of a lip. Only reason for doing this with a FWD vehicle is aesthetics. It looks cool, but limits how you can rotate your tires, thus reducing tire wear.

If you don't plan on lowering your xB (which I would and have) you could run 19's with the 235/35R19 tire. Heck, you could probably even run that with mild lowering. The difference in 18" tire size to 19" tire size is fairly minimal.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The TRD is a VERY mild drop. I've never ridden in an xB2 with the TRD's, so I can't attest to how they feel. I have the Hotchkis TVS kit and I've also lowered an xB2 with Tanabe DF210's.

I love how my car rides and handles now. It's a little on the low side. So if you don't want something as low, I'd go with the NF210's from Tanabe.

There's a thread here in the suspension part of the forum with a bunch of pictures and testimonials.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Staggered wheels simply means that the fronts are different than the rears. It can be wider on the rear than the front (as mentioned above; you can run a larger diameter wheel on the rear than the front; or you can have different offsets on the rear than the front. Some people run a different offset on the rear to get the wheels to sit more flush with the fenders, in an attempt to match the fronts without going to a different width wheel and tire.

I vote for the Tanabe NF210 springs, heres the thread severedvegan was talking about:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206857
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx

you can also run 40's with 19" wheels
Old 06-18-2008, 02:42 AM

im riding 19's staggered with trd kit which its perfect for me, not to low , I think it rides well..can't tell you on the 18's but i can imagine been about the same..but bottom line its what you want . jut understand what you will run into the long run.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cubanix do you have a few go shots of your car. I was thinking about the same wheels. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by fuqua
cubanix do you have a few go shots of your car. I was thinking about the same wheels. Thanks.
you can click on my name icon and see more on my profile..

Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

XBnewbie,
xseveredveganx is right bout d ride quality between d 18s and 19s. It all depend on the type of springs you got. I'm running on 18s with TRD drop and I have no complaints. I had a Tanabe springs on 17s on my 01 GTS. I can tell you the TRD rides better but the Tanabe looks better.
Hopefully, we all helped you out with your question. Post some pix after the drop.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lookin good cubanix
Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the help. I looked at your pics, and I think that your set up is perfect. I would love if I could get the wheel and tire specs. ie front and rear width, offset, and tire size. Also any problem with rubbing? Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by cubanix
im riding 19's staggered with trd kit which its perfect for me, not to low , I think it rides well..can't tell you on the 18's but i can imagine been about the same..but bottom line its what you want . jut understand what you will run into the long run.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by XBnewbie
Thanks for the help. I looked at your pics, and I think that your set up is perfect. I would love if I could get the wheel and tire specs. ie front and rear width, offset, and tire size. Also any problem with rubbing? Thanks so much.

thanks!!

check out this forum for the details
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=212390
Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks I read that thread that you sent me. There were a lot of varied opinions. What did you finally end up going with. Did you stagger?

thanks!!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Thanks I read that thread that you sent me. There were a lot of varied opinions. What did you finally end up going with. Did you stagger?

thanks!!

yes i did....19's staggered 8.5 front +40 offset 9.5 back +40 offset
235/35/frnt 265/30 back no rubbing issue, only once when i ran into a dip by accident but even that was minor.. i also recommend tires with Treadwear 300 to last longer . hope this info help and good luck on your decision.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They say 18" tires are a lot cheaper to replace than 19" tires.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MotoXXX
They say 18" tires are a lot cheaper to replace than 19" tires.
225/40-18 is one of the best priced & most common tire sizes for 18+ inches (and perfect for the xB2); they should go on 18x7.5 or 18x8 wheels.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 AM

Default 18s vs 19...

To me I looked at what Scion offers as alternative wheels. The TRD wheels are 19's and really if you look at pricing the wheels alone the 18's and 19's usually are not that much different in price. I personally have gone with a staggered set of 19's but now am getting nervous about the offset for the rear (both the fronts and rears are a +38 offset and the 9.5's out back mounted alone look REAL close...but can't really tell until the tire is on). I am waiting on the tires that are on order, tire and wheel combo (staggered) will be more of a looks thing than anything; I like the unique combinations so I went with RPM 505s wrapped in BFG KDW's.

I have the TRD springs, sway bar and strut tower bar, and with stock rims and tires it handles great! So I am really waiting to see what the new wheels/tires will do.