Notices

new wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 PM

Default new wheels and tires

Mt 2010 xb/2 is finally wearing down the stock goodyear tires. (38,000) i was wondering since I need new tires to get new wheels at the same time. Are the stock wheels available for the new xb's available for used xb's and would the dealership install them. I am a novice to upgrading my care, have really enjoyed this car and plan to keep it a while and would like to keep it as close to stock as i can. I see the new xb's at the dealership with the new gunmetal type style and they have the same stock tire size. I understand the dealership would probably be more expensive but I don't mind if they would would do a good job as I get it serviced there as needed. any help or comments appreciated. thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Any wheel and tire shop can install tires, and wheels. You can certainly find a 16x7 wheel and have installed on your car.
A quick look on TRD Spark's website shows me that there are a couple different OEM 16" alloys available. They're roughly $150 apiece, plus tire, mount, and balance.
I've always had good luck purchasing tires online, but they don't have any warranty. Any good tire shop should be able to provide a good high mileage 205/55R16 tire to throw on any wheels you bring to them.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you wanted to spend a little more and like the way the Enkei RPF1 wheel looks, I'd think you'd have a little boost in fuel economy. The original 16" steel wheel tips the scale at 21lbs, but the 16x7 RPF1 is a feathery 14.3lbs.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
If you wanted to spend a little more and like the way the Enkei RPF1 wheel looks, I'd think you'd have a little boost in fuel economy. The original 16" steel wheel tips the scale at 21lbs, but the 16x7 RPF1 is a feathery 14.3lbs.
I went from 25 down to 16 pounds on my wheels and appear to be getting half to one mile per gallon better gas mileage.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

That's it!? Man. That's a bunch of crap...

My buddy with a 370Z is getting 33ish MPG...
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
That's it!? Man. That's a bunch of crap...

My buddy with a 370Z is getting 33ish MPG...

Not a fair comparison.

I went from OEM steelies to Stance Mindset 16x8s' and have seen no gain in mpg even with the lighter wheels. Now the air box mods I've done, I've gained about 4mpg on average. (90% city driving)

As far as OEM wheels go, I feel ya. I like rocking OEM look as well. But every once in a while, I feel the need for after market. I kept my tC as OEM looking as possible. Including replacing factory "euro" tails for red lens tails that looked like they should of been stock (anzo LEDs).

I suggest browsing your local craigslist. You can often find OEM wheels that fit (even if they aren't Scion, just browse 5x114) and you'll probably find something you like for a good price. May even come with tires!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 AM

After looking at the aftermarket wheels I think that could be an option for me. As for the mpg as long as it does not drop too much I'm not worried about it. The things that confuse this brain here is the different sizes and how they compare to the original dynamics of the car. The oem wheels from toyota are fine but they are very expensive and actually some of the aftermarket look better. (guess I can get that tire sensor moved). I need to understand the different measurements and sizes. For example Enkei performance BR7 come in 16x7.5 with offset and backspacing numbers.Not sure what that means. They are available from tire rack and are linked to be correct size for my car. I need to educate myself before jumping in. Any help or suggestions appreciated ! thanks Mark
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfactant
Mt 2010 xb/2 is finally wearing down the stock goodyear tires. (38,000) i was wondering since I need new tires to get new wheels at the same time. Are the stock wheels available for the new xb's available for used xb's and would the dealership install them. I am a novice to upgrading my care, have really enjoyed this car and plan to keep it a while and would like to keep it as close to stock as i can. I see the new xb's at the dealership with the new gunmetal type style and they have the same stock tire size. I understand the dealership would probably be more expensive but I don't mind if they would would do a good job as I get it serviced there as needed. any help or comments appreciated. thanks!
I got a set of tires (used, nearly new) for your car. If you are interested, PM me. This option would be your cheapest, by far.