Notices

Vintage Wheel Offset/Backspace for Custom Built XB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Vintage Wheel Offset/Backspace for Custom Built XB?

Hey Guys, this is my first post. I attempted to search for this information before posting, but I couldn't find an answer. I'm a paraplegic and use a wheelchair, and my new 08' XB is being converted for me at a shop so I can access it from my chair (been a 5 month process with them dropping the floor, adding a remote controlled hydraulic gull wing door, push button shifter, hand controls, and an automatic fold out ramp, so I'm pretty excited to get car within the next few weeks!)

I'm interested in ordering some vintage style billet wheels from wheelvintique. As I don't have the car here yet, I can't do actual measurements myself. I want to place an order with them now, so that the wheels will get here around the time the car finally arrives from the custom shop. I've never ordered custom wheels before, so this is all new to me.

I'd like to do 18x8s, and I've read on these forums that the standard 45mm offset would work here? What about backspacing? These wheels come standard with a backspacing of 4.5", so would that work alright? These wheels are custom built billet and non-returnable, so if they don't fit well I'll be stuck with them. I don't want them sticking outside the wheel well, but filling them up nicely would be great. Any advice or help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks everybody.
-Seth
Old 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Backspacing is determined by wheel width vs. offset. You'll be fine, and they won't stick out past the fenders. Go ahead and place your order.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Thank you, that answered my question. Much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did a little bit more research, and realized that normally the backspacing of an 8" wide wheel with +45 offset should be +/- 6.2", if the backspacing is measured from inside the wheel where it mounts to the hub.

If the company measures the 4.5" backspacing from the centerline of the wheel, instead of the back of where it mounts against the hub, then you're fine. I'm guessing that is what they must do, because offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel and I can't see how an 8" wide wheel with +45 offset could possibly have a 4.5" backspace as measured from where the back mounts against the hub.

I'm sorry if this is a little confusing, but if you can tell me what wheels you're looking at and who manufactures them, I can confirm it all before you place your order.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks again man. I actually gave the company a call a little while ago to place the order, and it turns out the particular style wheels I was looking at are only made for rear wheel drive vehicles at this time. So, no luck for the new box.

The search for wheels continues. Thanks for your indepth thoughtful response, though. Very kind of you.

Take it easy,
-Seth
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A 8" wheel with 4.5 inches of backspace would stick WAY out. That would only be a positive offset of 12.7mm. They would physically bolt on but look horrible imo unless that is the look you want. It would also cause undue stress on the wheel bearings.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought that you meant the wheels had a +45 offset & 4.5" backspacing. Now that I've seen the catalog, and you referenced a standard backspacing of 4.5", I realize that the offset must not be +45. Like wrczx3 said, these wheels won't work; but then you already know that.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Seth, I just noticed you are a paraplegic. I am too and have full handcontrols in my Xb.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 AM

Really? Yea, the XB seems to be a great customizable car for disability related custom options. I've been driving a grand caravan for 10 years, so this will be my first "real car". Looking forward to a nice change when the car gets here in about 4 weeks =)

Thanks again for your help and input!
-Seth