Notices

Wheel lug nuts - Spline, Security, Locks, and Tuner lugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheel lug nuts - Spline, Security, Locks, and Tuner lugs

Still a newb here. When putting on custom wheels.....
As I understand, the lug nuts that we'll need on the xB2 are 12x1.5" - Cone seat.

Just wondering what you're using to keep your wheels from getting stolen?

I've heard a few opinions:
1. Using spline lugs is good enough security.
2. Use spline lugs with locks.
3. Use all locks with custom keys..... blah, blah, blah

Would you recommend Mcgard wheel locks and spline lugs?

What are tuner lugs? Are they just as durable to standard lugs? or just lighter weight?

Please explain. Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i know:

always use a set of lugs with a set of locks. McGuard are very popular, so I'd so go for it if you like them. Nothing wrong with them at all.

tuner lugs are usually softer metal and strip more easily. they are usually called "tuner" because they have a tapered end so they can fit into most aftermarket wheels.
they come in more colorful and attractive varieties though, and can usually run more money. however, it really depends on what brands and types of tuner lug nuts you choose. cheaper ones like mutekis tend to be ok for a couple uses but then break down. more expensive ones like rays or works or project kics tend to have a long lifetime and have little to no issues.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When it comes to nice wheels, the best insurance is just that... insurance. Make sure your wheels are covered by your auto insurance policy, because no matter how good you think your locking lug nuts are, they're only a deterrent. Experienced thieves have a big bag or box full of all the various lug keys. People think that there's some infinite number of lug keys, but it just isn't so. When I worked for Acura, there were only 10 different lug keys for the direct Acura dealership available locking lug nuts. That means for all the 10's of thousands of Acuras sold all across the country, all you needed was 10 lug keys and you could steal the wheels from any Acura with the locking lug nuts purchased directly from Acura. Kinda scary huh?

Above and beyond that, just about everybody keeps the lug key in their glove compartment or with the spare tire, so they have it if they get a flat. Thieves know this; they'll just break in and use your own lug key.

Like I said, they are a deterrent, and may save your wheels a lot of the time; however, if a thief really wants your wheels, he's going to get them.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coming from some one who just had theres stolen.... all you can do is keep it in the garage, or make sure to always park it in head first.... mines had locks on them.... think about it, if they really want your rims, they are gonig to do whatever it take to get them.... unfortunatly, I didnt have my car pulled in head first, had it parked on the curb and they just lifted the front and drove it away.... alteast im pretty sure thats how they did it.... so just be careful where you leave it
Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow funny you mentioned the key in the glove box or with the spare CIONIDE cuz i had mines in the glove box, I had just installed my nf210 with my dad about a week and a half before and didnt stash the key...... either way they would have still taken the rims
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been following all the thread info about your loss jonmach. I hope you can get past the fact that some people just don't care and that it was nothing personal against you (unless the a-holes know you). You're a good man and deserve to rise above all this crud. Just so you don't feel alone; humans are creatures of convenience and habit, we all tend to hide/store things in the same place. You're right though, they would have taken your wheels no matter what you could have tried to do.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Getting locking lugs off of a car isn't hard at all... All it takes is a socket slightly smaller than the lug itself, and a BFH...

Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Getting locking lugs off of a car isn't hard at all... All it takes is a socket slightly smaller than the lug itself, and a BFH...
I repeat... insurance, insurance, insurance. (I said "I repeat" didn't I?)

And keep your Big F-ing Hammer to yourself.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I did tires for yeeeears. Sometimes people would come in with a "new to them" car with locking lugs. And guess what? The previous owners didn't leave the key with the car. So, I usually had to take care of business.

Insurance is the way to go. Make sure you keep your receipts. Sometimes insurance companies don't care what you have into your car. It's "preference". I call it getting bent over a barrel...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
I call it getting bent over a barrel...
Do they still do that in Utah?

You set me up, man.